Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
waterman165

Clevland captain skills

4 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,410 battles

This is the most recommended build in ShipComrade, although I prefer PT instead of the 2 planes.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000100000100010000010100010100019

Is IFHE good for it? Yes. It works well in any cruiser that fires HE with 150 to 155mm guns, and even does well (not as much) with 180mm. @03mm? Not so much

Edited by alexf24

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I haven't gotten to the Cleveland yet (working my way up the Omaha), but when I get her, I'm thinking of something like this:

1. PT

2. EM+AR

3. DE+VIG

4. IFHE+MFCAA/CE

MFCAA is way better than taking both BFT and AFT. The reason is that BFT+AFT buffs your AA by 44% percent, while MFCAA buffs your AA by almost the same amount while requiring only 4 points, due to the fact that most of Cleveland's AA is concentrated in her DP 127mm guns. Sure, BFT and AFT also buff your secondaries, but it's not like buffing secondaries is a huge concern for a cruiser. 

So for an AA build, take MFCAA, for anything else, take CE. 

Edited by Aduial

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

I haven't gotten to the Cleveland yet (working my way up the Omaha), but when I get her, I'm thinking of something like this:

1. PT

2. EM+AR

3. DE+VIG

4. IFHE+MFCAA/CE

MFCAA is way better than taking both BFT and AFT. The reason is that BFT+AFT buffs your AA by 44% percent, while MFCAA buffs your AA by almost the same amount while requiring only 4 points, due to the fact that most of Cleveland's AA is concentrated in her DP 127mm guns. Sure, BFT and AFT also buff your secondaries, but it's not like buffing secondaries is a huge concern for a cruiser. 

So for an AA build, take MFCAA, for anything else, take CE. 

If your goal is simply protecting yourself from air attack, MFCAA may well be the better choice; as long as you remember to select the priority target, MFCAA on a ship like the Cleveland will melt a squadron very quickly.  OTOH, if you want to use your Defensive Fire consumable help provide AA protection to allies, then AFT has advantages as it gives your Defensive Fire a larger area of effect, making it easier to keep allied ships within your AA bubble.  IMHO, the disperson effect DF has on the drops is at least as important as any planes you might shoot down.

Personally, for the Cleveland specifically I prefer AFT because IME the AA capability of the Cleveland is so well-known that CVs only very rarely attack the Cleveland directly, but with a larger AA bubble I'm much more likely to catch planes attacking a nearby friendly BB or DD with my AA.  And while the increase to secondary range vs. surface targets is not a build goal, it's far from worthless.  It means that unlike MCFAA, AFT does *something* for you in matches without any CVs, which are pretty common in the current meta.  The Cleveland's secondaries are pretty darn good as cruisers go (better than many BB secondaries in her MM spread), and with the 6.6km range I get from ASM1, AFT, and signal  flag, I do find that I get at least a little damage out of the secondaries pretty frequently.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this