Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CutieKawaiiSugoiDesuNe

Question about fire & flood DoT damage

15 comments in this topic

Members
60 posts
3,647 battles

Hey everybody,

Posting this here since i'm not able to post in some of the other subforums due to a "must play 10 battles" message.  Anyways i was wondering if the damage that is done by fires and floods is modified by anything.  Such as the base damage of the gun/torpedo or the number of shells/torps/bombs that were in the salvo that started the fire/flood? say for example I have 1 torpedo start a flood that does lets say 250 damage per tick but a group of 3 torpedoes that hits will start a flood but this flood does 1000 damage per tick or something like that.  Same thing with fires...will a shell from a DD that starts 1 fire only do 250 damage per tick.  But a shell from a BB that hits in the same area and starts 1 fire will instead do 500 damage per tick.  OR does 1 fire do the same amount of damage per tick regardless of what type of ship class started it or if it was from a DB.  And flood damage is always the same per tick regardless of its base torpedo damage or location it impacted on the target ship.

Thanks!

Edited by CutieKawaiiSugoiDesuNe

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

Not sure about tick damage, but there are skills, modules, and flags you can take to make the target light up or flood often.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

What set you on fire doesn't matter, what matters is your ships total HP. Fires deal a set percentage of your total HP as a DoT. Same goes for flooding.

Edited by goldeagle1123

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Fire damage is proportional to your maximum health. The more maximum health you have, the 'more' damage you will take by fire. For example, a tier 3 battleship will take ~400 damage per second (example: not exact numbers) from a fire due to their lower maximum health. Meanwhile a Yamato will take ~700 damage per scond (example: not exact numbers) due to it's higher maximum health. If you had a fire on both the tier 3 and Yamato, both would eventually burn to death at the same time. It is worth noting that damage from fires can be fully healed back by the repair party. 

As for flooding, I am relatively sure floods do not stack. Much like fires, the damage a flood does is proportional to your maximum health. However 1 flood is significantly more dangerous than even 4 fires due to the long duration, massive damage (a Yamato can lose almost 1.5k+ per second to a flood), and slowing effect. Just like fires, if you were to have a flood on a tier 3 and a tier 10, both would sink at the same time due to the damage based on maximum health. 

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Fire damage is proportional to your maximum health. The more maximum health you have, the 'more' damage you will take by fire. For example, a tier 3 battleship will take ~400 damage per second (example: not exact numbers) from a fire due to their lower maximum health. Meanwhile a Yamato will take ~700 damage per scond (example: not exact numbers) due to it's higher maximum health. 

As for flooding, I am relatively sure floods do not stack. Much like fires, the damage a flood does is proportional to your maximum health. However 1 flood is significantly more dangerous than even 4 fires due to the long duration, massive damage (a Yamato can lose almost 1.5k+ per second to a flood), and slowing effect. 

I don't have hard evidence, but I would assume since you get multiple flooding ribbons simultaneously off the same target, that flooding stacks. Those targets do seem to genuinely sink faster. But like I said, I don't have proof.

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

I'm no torpedo expert but I think the amount of damage you do depends on what type of ship you hit and where you hit them. You'll do less torpedo damage to battleships because they're more armored but it you manage to hit them further to the front or further to the back and not amidships, you'll do more damage because the torpedo belt doesn't extend that far. Have no idea how flooding works though.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

I don't have hard evidence, but I would assume since you get multiple flooding ribbons simultaneously off the same target, that flooding stacks. Those targets do seem to genuinely sink faster. But like I said, I don't have proof.

I assumed that as well, but I've hit ships with up to 4+ floods without them repairing and never saw them lose 4k+ a second (which would be hilarious for me). I'm pretty sure only one flooding effect can be applied at any time. 

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I assumed that as well, but I've hit ships with up to 4+ floods without them repairing and never saw them lose 4k+ a second (which would be hilarious for me). I'm pretty sure only one flooding effect can be applied at any time. 

If it doesn't, that's dumb. It should stack. 

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

If it doesn't, that's dumb. It should stack. 

"A ribbon is awarded when a flood is caused to an enemy ship. Though captains may be awarded multiple flooding ribbons, it is not possible for a ship to suffer from the effects of multiple floods; either a ship is flooding or it is not. This is distinctly different from fires, where a ship can suffer from multiple simultaneous fires that stack their damage-over-time effects together."

-WoWS Wiki

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

"A ribbon is awarded when a flood is caused to an enemy ship. Though captains may be awarded multiple flooding ribbons, it is not possible for a ship to suffer from the effects of multiple floods; either a ship is flooding or it is not. This is distinctly different from fires, where a ship can suffer from multiple simultaneous fires that stack their damage-over-time effects together."

-WoWS Wiki

Much realism. They should at least make it caps at 2 stacks. Or even make it so there is a decreasing flooding damage curve per each additional flooding.
Edited by goldeagle1123

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

And a bit of "game within the game".  A bit much for newbie, but can let you know the depth of the game (no pun intended).

DC will fix everything currently hurting you.  Flooding and Fire.  Timing of DC is important.  Got a fire and torps are inbound...wait.  Torps hit...start a flood.  Now you can hit DC...fixed both the fire and flood.  Many newbies put out the fire too quick, get torp'd and flood out.

Now the game within a game.   Some savy CV players will bring both dive bombers and torp squadrons.  Hit you first with the dive bombers...start a fire..see if you put the fire out with DC...then bring in the torpedoes.  A savy BB captain will realize this... and hold off on the DC.  The CV player will then hold off on the torp squadron,...and the mind games begin.  The BB captain is taking HP burn damage and doesn't want to use the DC.  The CV captain is waiting for the DC, holding off on the torp squadron.  Who blinks first?

Members
60 posts
3,647 battles

@ Soshi Sone

I only mess around with PVE since my PC/GPU is too old or dying so PVP gives me slightly choppy framerates.  But i already knew about causing floods and fire and timing it with the AI's DC usage and causing *additional* floods/fires.  But it never hurts to see tips and tricks so that other people can read them.

I'm only up to T4 in USN CV and T5 in IJN.  On my Zuiho i like to send in my torp-torp-DB squadrons in that order and staggered at about 5 second intervals.  If i'm really lucky my first squadron will start a flood which the AI will clear with DC.  But then my second squad will start another flood and then my DB will start a fire.  And even if my first squadron doesnt start the flood my second squadron might and even if that gets cleared then i still have a chance to start a fire.  If i'm attacking an enemy CV then i figured fire is the more important debuff to leave on them vs flood since they cant recover/launch planes when on fire.

Edited by CutieKawaiiSugoiDesuNe

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

For further reading  I would suggest heading over to the WOWS wiki. Thanks to the efforts of our wiki editors, it's become much more informative than it was long ago. Hidden mechanics are explained in detail & even some things you might've not known about are also on there.

Flooding: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flooding

Fires: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

I'm no torpedo expert but I think the amount of damage you do depends on what type of ship you hit and where you hit them. You'll do less torpedo damage to battleships because they're more armored but it you manage to hit them further to the front or further to the back and not amidships, you'll do more damage because the torpedo belt doesn't extend that far. Have no idea how flooding works though.

Cruisers taking a torp hit get rekt hard.  They don't have that TDS and HP of a BB.

All you need to know is that someone that is caught flooding and doesn't have Damage Control to stop it is totally f--ked.  It's worse than having something like 4 fires going on you as it also slows you down.

Fire and Flooding though work hand in hand.  Floods are typically stopped ASAP because of their significant DOT.  When people see the HP have stopped dropping from Flooding, watch out, here comes the HE and / or bombs.  You're screwed.

The worst though is a ship that has taken focused fire and burned their Damage Control to stop the fires.  A torpedo hitting after it's been popped is the worst, worst, WORST thing that can happen.  One flood after Dmg Ctrl has been already used?  Write that ship off.  CVs and DDs look for that.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this