macdevious

Old Wyoming class BB

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

12 posts in this topic

I seem to see this ship as to slow, it has such a short range on the main weapons range, gets neither a spotter  or a catapult fighter.  Takes a pounding while just getting to range. Also I have had team mates say I do not participate in the battle it is hard to participate while they are all running a way from you at a higher speed.

I think that it could do with a 5 to 7 percent speed buff to make it easier to play. the only one thing other I worry about is that the aiming on this ship is bad also, but I guess there has to be differences in the ships at least one of the three problems in this ship need to be addressed. to recap, aim is bad, no fighter or spotter and  and slow speed.

Thanks Macdevious

Wyoming-class BBs did not have a spotter or catapult aircraft.

Wyoming is a good brawler and a good BB if you know how to play her. Her shells are quite drunk sometimes, but you need to get mid-range to start dealing major damage. She rules there.

General rule of thumb for playing slow battleships: always be moving toward the center of the map and/or the largest cluster of enemies unless circumstance prevent doing so.  This will both ensure you have targets, and also reduce travel time if situations change.  If you are traveling up the far west side of the map and it suddenly becomes apparent the enemy are mostly over in the east, you've shot yourself in the foot.

I seem to see this ship as to slow, it has such a short range on the main weapons range, gets neither a spotter  or a catapult fighter.  Takes a pounding while just getting to range. Also I have had team mates say I do not participate in the battle it is hard to participate while they are all running a way from you at a higher speed.

I think that it could do with a 5 to 7 percent speed buff to make it easier to play. the only one thing other I worry about is that the aiming on this ship is bad also, but I guess there has to be differences in the ships at least one of the three problems in this ship need to be addressed. to recap, aim is bad, no fighter or spotter and  and slow speed.

Thanks Macdevious

The ship didn't have a catapult for planes. Aim is bad because it's meant for fighting up close, it's a full on brawler. Speed is just fine. Pretty awesome and fun ship once you get used to it.

0IzL4Lr.jpg

Wyoming-class BBs did not have a spotter or catapult aircraft.

Wyoming is a good brawler and a good BB if you know how to play her. Her shells are quite drunk sometimes, but you need to get mid-range to start dealing major damage. She rules there.

View PostSpeedstang, on 23 January 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

The ship didn't have a catapult for planes. Aim is bad because it's meant for fighting up close, it's a full on brawler. Speed is just fine. Pretty awesome and fun ship once you get used to it.

Oh they didn't?

bb33-5.jpg

Same deal as New York class. They where on top of the turrets. You'll also notice a lack of the peace time ships boats that Wargaming slapped all over it to limit the firing arcs artificially.

Edited by Cragger

Oh they didn't?

bb33-5.jpg

Same deal as New York class. They where on top of the turrets. You'll also notice a lack of the peace time ships boats that Wargaming slapped all over it to limit the firing arcs artificially.

Welllll

WG hasn't found a solution for catapults on top of turrets yet. AA, yes. 

Welllll

WG hasn't found a solution for catapults on top of turrets yet. AA, yes. 

*Chuckles*

The solution was simple and pointed out them in alpha test long ago. Simply make the catapult rotate on top of the turret freely, like the directors do. Just like the ships boats which you will never find a war time photo of them carrying. It was done to limit the capacity of the USN battleships at those tiers.

Edited by Cragger

Oh they didn't?

bb33-5.jpg

What year is that photo from too? They might only have Wyoming modeled in as upgraded to something like 1925 or something. If she got float planes in 1937 they wouldn't be in game. (You get the idea I am sure)

What year is that photo from too? They might only have Wyoming modeled in as upgraded to something like 1925 or something. If she got float planes in 1937 they wouldn't be in game. (You get the idea I am sure)

The catapult was added in the 1925-1927 modernization that was done on both ships. 1927 photo of BB-33 "Arky" underway. Catapult is clearly visible just no aircraft current stowed on it. Notice the ships boats also are now present as this is a peace time cruise.

USS_Arkansas_at_1927_naval_review_NARA_1

Edited by Cragger

Wyoming can be an absolute blast; I don't call it 'My Ole' Reliable' because I think it suck, that's for sure!

Resurrecting an old-ish thread.  This is interesting and pretty close to topic, seems like the 'midships turret has grown a thing.  I'll have to check this out on the PTS to see if it's there in game.

Tailhook not required

Just finished taking a look on the PTS.  Never mind, nothing to see here.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr

I could be wrong, but I read in a book somewhere (Someone please correct me if I am wrong) that having the catapult made it harder to fire the turret, which could be why Wargaming hasn't brought that style of catapult plane into the game.