Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Guest_

Roon and Hindenburg Captain Skills

30 comments in this topic

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
478 posts
14,518 battles

Have a 17 point Roon captain and 14 point Hindenburg captain.  Suggestions?  For the most part, i play medium to long range AP shooting.  Don't think Radio Location or IFHE are appropriate for either ship at 4 point level.  I had concealment in the past, but wasnt sure if it was as valuable.  MFC doesnt seem appropriate, and in the past, didnt see enough CV;s to justify AFT.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

My build for 15 points seems to be working nicely so far on Hindenburg:

Expert Loader - 1

Expert Marksman - 2

Adrenaline Rush - 2

Superintendent - 3

Demolition Expert - 3

Concealment Expert - 4

I don't even know what I'd use the other 4 points in if the captain had 19 skill points. RPF is not very useful in my opinion, Hindenburg's AA is already so good that carriers seem to avoid trying to attack it so AFT/MFAA don't seem that worth it. IFHE is definitely not worth it since you don't really get to pen that many parts you already didn't before and Hindenburg has low HE Alpha so the fires are actually better. I guess the final 4 points would depend largely on what the player feels they need the most

Members
93 posts
6,018 battles

Expert Loader - 1

Expert Marksman - 2

Adrenaline Rush - 2

Superintendent - 3

Demolition Expert - 3

Concealment Expert - 4

Prett much the same, though i go with +1 catapault for more spotting and pseudo aa buff. For second tier 4 I go with RPF, your detection window is high even with concealment and it helps hunt dd's. You can get a lot of info from RPF not just oh hes that way *points in general direction*, and there isn't much else I want or need beyond the build above.

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
478 posts
14,518 battles

i am usually using exclusive AP, so didnt see the need for DE, but do get a lot of deflections.

Thanks for the suggestion.  

Edited by _Guest_

[TORP]
Members
288 posts
36,569 battles

I went PM, EM, SE, BFT, AFT and Man Sec with my 17 pt Captain.  If i screwed the pooch on this one please enlighten me.  Leaning towards adding Ad Rush at 19 points

Edited by diddlyv

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles

on my Roon,   pt, ar, em, si, de, ce  for 15  point  was what I ended up with.

Edited by centarina

[GNOME]
[GNOME]
Beta Testers
166 posts
8,364 battles

As somebody working my way up the line, what skills should I have so my captain is ready for tier 10?  I'm still only at tier 6 right now, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money re-speccing later on.  I'm not sure what to take now that the captain skills have been reshuffled.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles

all  German Cruisers can use          PT,  EM, AR,  DE, CE for 12 point.      Tier 9 and up, you can add  SI  for 15 point.  you can use the last 4 on something else.

• Cool 1

[P2W]
Members
615 posts
7,866 battles

i am usually using exclusive AP, so didnt see the need for DE, but do get a lot of deflections.

Thanks for the suggestion.  

My average damage increase almost 20K per game when I started using demo expert on the Hindenburg. AP at long range is less than ideal due to poor shell weight.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I easily rack up 100k dmg from shooting HE in Hindenburg.

It works even better with DE.

I think AFT is necessary on Hindenburg, especially if you run hydro.

4.5km range on the 105mm mounts is a short.

5.0km range on the 55mm mounts is good, but the mounts themselves area easily knocked out and cannot be relied upon in the long run.

1. PT or DCCA

2. EM, AR

3. SI, DE

4. CE, AFT

PM is very useless on Hindenburg, as PM only affects main caliber turrets, torpedo tubes, engine and propeller. Of which only torps ever get knocked out permanently and regularly.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,750 posts
14,272 battles

I'm about ready to go through the wiki pages for the German CA's and get their commander skills updated.  Here's what I'll likely recommend.

FULL AA BUILD

Key skills:  BFT, AFT, MFAA.  You're investing at least 7-8 skill points into boosting your AA - and probably AA Mod 2 as well - but the ROI is good if you're out to shred planes.  Odds are that you'll mix SI and EM around whatever else is chosen.

GENERALIST BUILD

Key skills: EM, SI, CE, AR.  If an AA focus isn't your thing, focus on survivability (CE/SI) and improving your gun performance (AR/EM).  

[-K-]
2,750 posts
14,272 battles

Nobody using IFHE?  It's been working out great for me

Nah, the 203mm shells can already penetrate everything they're going to be able to.  More penetration doesn't make a difference, and IFHE just hurts your fire chance.

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
26,565 battles

Nah, the 203mm shells can already penetrate everything they're going to be able to.  More penetration doesn't make a difference, and IFHE just hurts your fire chance.

People say this, but I've noticed a big spike in my HE damage since using it.  When you fire HE, there are shells that will break on impact.  My thinking is it makes fewer of them break.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

It was pretty easy racking up 100k dmg from Hindenburg HE before the skill change.

People say this, but I've noticed a big spike in my HE damage since using it.  When you fire HE, there are shells that will break on impact.  My thinking is it makes fewer of them break.

Yeah, IFHE on 203mm shells only makes you more effective against 3 ships.

203mm already has 34mm of penetration.

203mm with IFHE has 44mm of penetration.

The armor thresholds on BBs are thus

vs. Amagi, Izumo: no change, as they only feature 32mm of armor

vs. Yamato: no change. midsection and deck armor is 50mm+

vs. NC: allows penetration of deck, but no change to sides. Deck is 37mm, rest is 32mm

vs. Iowa, Montana: allows penetration of deck and midsection. Deck is 38mm, midsection is 38mm, rest is 32mm

vs. Bismark, FDG, GK: no change. midsection and deck armor are 50mm+

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

I have three points available on my Roon captain and cannot make up my mind on which skill to pick - DE, SE or Vigilance? I'm using CE and concealment module so I do get to spam HE shells every now and then ...

Same commander is used for Graf Spee and will move to Hindenburg when I finish the Roon grind.

Any suggestions?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I have three points available on my Roon captain and cannot make up my mind on which skill to pick - DE, SE or Vigilance? I'm using CE and concealment module so I do get to spam HE shells every now and then ...

Same commander is used for Graf Spee and will move to Hindenburg when I finish the Roon grind.

Any suggestions?

SE is useless on cruisers

VG isn't entirely necessary, especially if you have SGM3 equipped

DE is highly useful in many situations where ships are angled at you

Alternatively, you can pick up Adrenalin Rush to improve your damage output after you take damage. Which is practically always in cruisers.

[-K-]
2,750 posts
14,272 battles

Agreed with MrDeaf; take Adrenaline Rush before DE.  If you already have AR, DE is not a bad place to spend points (unless you are embracing an AA build, then you should take BFT).

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

DE it is then. This commander already has AR as his 2p skill, two more points to go, this will be a decision between EM or PT+PM ... but one I don't have to make any time soon :teethhappy:

Members
1,797 posts
6,885 battles

Lots of compromise in 0.6 it seems.  I am guessing I will spend my 16 points on:

PT

AR, 

SI, DE

CE

And I'll just save the last three while I figure out whether to burn them as is (maybe BFT, or EM) or save for AFT. Figure I'll ditch hydro for DF.

Cannot say I'm looking forward to the grind... something like another 150k to go for Hindenburg.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I think EM+MBM3 works well on Roon and Hindenburg.

Although, if you can manage to use MBM3 without EM, then you get 2 spare points.

[KILL]
Members
1,166 posts
13,523 battles

I have 4 points to spend on my Hindenburg captain.  I'm looking to boost my aa as I tend to run acoustic.   Which AA skill should I choose?  BFT, AFT or Manuel fire control?   Hindy has good damage on the over 100mm guns but I think they were nerfed by .5k.  I used Manuel before the last round of captain changes but I'm kind of curious as to what everyone things helps the most.

Thanks

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
990 posts
9,537 battles

I have 4 points to spend on my Hindenburg captain.  I'm looking to boost my aa as I tend to run acoustic.   Which AA skill should I choose?  BFT, AFT or Manuel fire control?   Hindy has good damage on the over 100mm guns but I think they were nerfed by .5k.  I used Manuel before the last round of captain changes but I'm kind of curious as to what everyone things helps the most.

Thanks

I think AFT is the overall best AA boost since it starts the already good AA DPS much farther out. Manual AA boosts your large caliber AA guns but only on one squadron of planes and only if you're not distracted so much that you forget to click on them, not to mention AFT boosting the small and medium caliber AA by 20% range and that is where the DPS of the Hindenburg truly shines. Those 57mm cannons are absolute monsters, but are not effected by manual AA. 

Manual AA is a complement to AFT and is truly the last step in a max-AA spec ship. BFT and AFT are much more useful and require no input from you to be effective. 

[-K-]
2,750 posts
14,272 battles

Grab AFT first.  If you still want to sink points into your AA on Hindenburg, grab MFAA.  BFT should be the last thing you grab in an AA build for Hindenburg.

[TOG]
Members
4,665 posts
30,654 battles

Very much surprised no one has taken the Health buff route. Jack of all Trades and Superintendent. Add the premimum repair, November Foxtrot and India Delta flags and you have a cruiser who can stay in the fight longer, short of being getting citadeled 3 times at once.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Sign in to follow this