You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Killjoy1941

IFHE and you: How it works and what it's good for

96 comments in this topic

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,925 battles

ok I guess I was WRONG about the higher numbers in my Moskva, so I will pick RDF...

THANKS MAN I am so glad  I read this... even though I could SWEAR the IFHE in it was making BIG damage hits higher than regular HE....

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,925 battles

Working wonders on my Belfast

so is that a dedicated captain?? I mean I would guess yes cause the rest of the line is AP only so... silly question, but people are still asking if it is useful in the RN line...

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
10,925 battles

ok I guess I was WRONG about the higher numbers in my Moskva, so I will pick RDF...

THANKS MAN I am so glad  I read this... even though I could SWEAR the IFHE in it was making BIG damage hits higher than regular HE....

and I have seen a few posts about it being good to have in the DeMoines, Zao, and Kharb....so you are saying it is not a good choice??

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,032 posts
5,475 battles

Well one thing is for sure. There is a good window to buff your stats at low tiers sjnce your average damage will but much higher than the server average for a good while.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,885 posts
2,168 battles

so is that a dedicated captain?? I mean I would guess yes cause the rest of the line is AP only so... silly question, but people are still asking if it is useful in the RN line...

​No HE on the RN CL line ships.

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
809 posts
8,230 battles

Yes its dedicated-18 points.

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,885 posts
2,168 battles

Premmies aren't part of the line :P They're stand alone :)

And if you have to get close to use your secondaries....yeah things have gone so so wrong.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,392 posts
9,170 battles

Why do you consider IFHE to only be useful on the various DD lines up through T7? What changes above T7 that makes it not/less useful?

• Cool 1

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

Why do you consider IFHE to only be useful on the various DD lines up through T7? What changes above T7 that makes it not/less useful?

BB bow/deck armor hits 32mm+ at tier 8-10, which puts all DD guns (unless German 150mm DD) out of reach of HEAP. This just results in overall reduced effectiveness as you don't penetrate any new surfaces, while at the same time your reduced fire chance puts you at a disadvantage against a player without IFHE.

While IFHE does help on tier 8+ CAs, they're often harder to hit and you get less opportunities to smack then due to their mobility. In general it turns IFHE from a straight upgrade into a situational one.

• Cool 1

[_K_]
Members
3,075 posts
6,525 battles

and I have seen a few posts about it being good to have in the DeMoines, Zao, and Kharb....so you are saying it is not a good choice??

The math says no. You get to be mean to Montanas and that's about it.

From tier 8 up, you see reduced returns as even tier BBs become immune. Further, tier 7 pulls up, as do tiers 9 and 10, so from tier 8 on a lot of ships will just shrug it off.

See below:

BB bow/deck armor hits 32mm+ at tier 8-10, which puts all DD guns (unless German 150mm DD) out of reach of HEAP. This just results in overall reduced effectiveness as you don't penetrate any new surfaces, while at the same time your reduced fire chance puts you at a disadvantage against a player without IFHE.

While IFHE does help on tier 8+ CAs, they're often harder to hit and you get less opportunities to smack then due to their mobility. In general it turns IFHE from a straight upgrade into a situational one.

[_K_]
Members
3,075 posts
6,525 battles

What about kutusuv or Donskoi? anyone try it?

Yes to both. Molotov less so, since most common plating from tiers 5-7 is already less than 30mm thick.
Edited by Killjoy1941

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
17,322 battles

+1 thanks killjoy, that's a big help and saved me from putting it on some wrong ships

[_K_]
Members
3,075 posts
6,525 battles

+1 thanks killjoy, that's a big help and saved me from putting it on some wrong ships

Your welcome. That's why I did it. :)

What about Cleveland?

A big yes. She'll punch up exceptionally well with IFHE as one of three 6" cruisers at tier 6.

Edited by Killjoy1941

Members
187 posts
9,443 battles

I just thought I'd put this up here since no other skill excepting RPF, which people will find is very useful to a limited number of ships, has generated anywhere near the same amount of attention.

Everyone's familiar with AP overmatch: which is gun caliber / 14.3, right? Well, HE overmatch is gun caliber /6, or /4 if you're a German BB. So what does this mean? Glad you asked...

It means that BB main battery HE can bow pen all other ships almost without exception. Nickolai being the exception since her belt is thick enough to be her own icebreaker.

Here are the key numbers: 100-105mm guns can pen 16mm of armor, or 26mm if German BB secondaries. 120-130mm guns can pen 20-21mm of armor, or 32mm if German BB secondaries. 150-155mm guns can pen 25mm of armor, or 37mm if German BB secondaries.

It boils down to the thickness of common armor plating (the kind you find on superstructures and non-vital parts of most ships) in the tiers your ship will be facing. At tiers 5-7, that's 19mm and 25mm for common plating. At tiers 8-10, that now includes 32-38mm and 50mm.

IFHE adds 30% to the penetration capability for HE. That means the important numbers from above change to the following:

100-105mm: 21mm, 34mm KM BB secondaries.

120-130mm: 26-27mm, 41mm for KM BB secondaries.

150-155mm: 32-33mm, 48mm for KM BB secondaries.

This matters because:

100-105mm guns can pen DDs and low-mid tier common plating, KM BB secondaries can pen nearly all common plating through tier 10.

120-130mm guns can pen common plating through tier 7. KM BB secondaries can pen USN BB deck plating through tier 10.

150-155mm guns can pen common plating through tier 10. KM BB secondaries don't change.

Note that 203-220mm guns get nothing worthwhile out of IFHE unless you really hate Montanas. 203/6=33 already. You can bow pen Yamato with HE in your CA. Not even Moskva can bow pen GK with HE and IFHE as a skill, so it's pointless.

What it all means:

Akizuki can murder DDs with IFHE

120mm and better armed DDs can directly pen common plating on most cruisers and BBs. Exceptions are: IJN casemate barbettes, deck plate on German BBs, Montana, Yamato, common plate on tier 8-10 BBs.

150mm and better armed CLs can pen all common plating. Exceptions are, again: IJN casemate barbettes, Yamato deck plate, Montana deck plate, German BB deck plate.

German BBs can exchange fire damage for direct damage from secondaries.

What it does not mean:

You can't HE citadel things. Exceptions are Tier 5 cruisers, Cleveland, Pensacola, Aoba. You need a 15" German BB for this. You might get a magic citadel or two against higher tier USN, IJN, or VMF cruiser with the 420mm guns, but if you spec IFHE in a German BB just for that, you're going to be disappointed. The vulnerability is exceptionally low.

IFHE is useful for:

Akizuki

Atlanta

Flint

Perth

Belfast

USN DDs through tier 7.

IJN DDs through tier 7.

VMF DDs through tier 7.

KM DDs through tier 8 with the 150mm guns.

USN cruisers, tiers 4-6.

155mm Mogami.

VMF cruisers, tiers 6-8.

KM cruisers, tiers 5-6.

KM BBs for those players who wish to deal direct damage with secondaries.

Tyvm Killjoy!