Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

New Skills for Cruisers

7 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,955 posts
46,754 battles

I tried setting up several cruisers with capt. skills yesterday. 

"Priority Target" will be my first choice for any cruiser.  Knowing you're detected is helpful.  Seeing that you suddenly are targeted by 3 ships is almost priceless (assuming you can do anything about it).

After watching a couple more YouTube videos on the new patch skills, I tried the 2x Catapult Fighter skill on a couple of cruisers.  Vigilance?  We don' need no stinking Vigilance!  Seriously, Premium planes plus Superintendent plus hydro (especially German hydro) equals longer life for your cruiser.  Especially the Graf Spee.  Note that fighters still last 6 minutes on cruisers despite the nerf to BB planes (only 90 seconds now).  Also, Bismarck nerf on hydro didn't affect German cruisers at all.

My other observation is that Concealment Expert is great for cruisers!  I hadn't worked more than a couple up to 14 points but CE as a 4-point skill is very valuable.

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[PVE]
Members
12,079 posts
21,321 battles

The first row of skills is very lacking, kind of like standing beside a fan. It doesn't do anything for you. Unless you are a CV that is.

Members
93 posts
6,530 battles

The first row of skills is very lacking, kind of like standing beside a fan. It doesn't do anything for you. Unless you are a CV that is.

What are you talking about ?? He just told you about 'Priority Target' being a must for Cruiser and it IS !!

Here is the main difference between a Cruiser and a DD : It is next to impossible for a Cruiser to remain undetected AND be effective (wont happen!)  However most DD (especially the IJN line) can achieve it to a degree particularly when you throw those smoke screen in there)

So while Priority Target is (as far as concerned) a total lost for a DD and a BB it is nothing short of priceless for a Cruiser.  Because yes everybody sees you but how many of them have decided to invite you for dinner ? If it's only 1 dude targeting me then it might be worth it to engage, but when you see 3 and up it's time to blow the heck out!

Priority Target and Radio skill (4th line) are 2 extremely friendly Cruiser skills that should practically be a mandate on all and every Cruiser.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I personally don't use priority target. I tend to not care how many people are shooting at me. Situation awareness gives me all the info I think I need. I prefer to take preventative maintenance instead. Second row I like EM. I like fast turrets, faster is better imo. Sometimes I pick up the smoke buff as well, if a smoker cruiser. Third row is SI or DE. Last row CE and IFHE if guns are 155mm or less.

Weird ships like Svietlana with 130mm guns get BFT/AFT/IFHE instead of CE.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,955 posts
46,754 battles

Since the OP, I've realized something about Priority Target that I didn't appreciate at first. It counts any DD that has you locked up for torps. 

Knowing that you're detected but not targeted by anyone is good info. So is suddenly seeing the counter jump to 2,3,4... although you may not live long enough to appreciate the value of that data. 

Being targeted by 1 ship for 20 seconds or more with no incoming shells and/or no obvious enemies who would be interested tells you that torpedoes are on their way. Torping cruisers has become even more difficult with the new skills, just as the LOL deletion has become more challenging. 

A creative DD player might use the X key to unlock his target until he's on the mark to launch. Or he might deliberately switch targets repeatedly until Victim #1 reaches the right range and/or his torps are ready to go. Locking on one cruiser after another traveling in a group can have amusing results. And he might keep the intended Victim locked for as short a time as possible.

Nevertheless, I consider Priority Target a very valuable skill for any cruiser. Especially if you do not have catapult fighters.

Radio Location, on the other hand, seems like a terrible waste of 4 points for a cruiser captain. Concealment Expert, AFT for AA range, and IFHE for LOL damage with 150-ish guns all are much more effective choices among 4-point skills. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

PT,  AR (EM if it you need it), DE(or SI for higher tier), CE           I take AR over EM if turret speed is better than 30sec.

Sign in to follow this