You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Doomlock

Color Pics of Furutaka and Aoba-classes (Image heavy)

What's next?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which pics do you want to see next?

• Japanese Aircraft Carriers
    • Japanese Light Cruisers
    • Japanese Submarines
    • Japanese Destroyers 1 (1900-WWI)
    • Japanese Destroyers 2 (Minekaze, Kawakaze, Kamikaze, and Mutsuki)
    • Japanese Destroyers 3 (Fubuki (Special Types 1 & 2), Asashio, and Shiratsuyu)
    • Japanese Destroyers 4 (Kagerō, Yūgumo, and Matsu)
    • Royal Hellenic Navy (Greek Navy)
    • Russian Battleships
    • Austro-Hungarian Battleships
    • Royal Thai Navy

3 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles

Hi guys! So you all managed to tie the poll again between Japan's aircraft carriers, and their heavy cruisers. I chose cruisers obviously. So I will do two posts, this one will be Furutaka and Aoba-classes, and the next, Myōkō and Tone-classes. As always the pics come from here: http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/ 

Let's get this show on the seas!

kW1DwnV.jpg

We start with the Furious Taco herself, Furutaka, the IJN's first heavy cruisers and very ambitious ones at that. They were built with 6 20 cm guns in single turrets, but were later modernized into the C-hull we see in game.

LM2EhXQ.jpg

Furutaka post modernization. She is on sea trials at Sukumo Bay in June, 1939; by this point there is only superficial differences between the Furutaka and Aoba-classes.

IRAJlWO.jpg

Furutaka, with her half sister Kinugasa at Bungo-Channel in October 1941. Furutaka is the one in the foreground.

hiPk9bK.jpg

The second of the Furutaka-class, Kako at anchor at Kure Naval Port, July 31, 1926. She was the first of the four to be sunk on August 10, 1942 after the Battle off Savo Island by USS S-44 (SS-155).

jqWknHo.jpg

Ah the Aoba, my favorite Japanese heavy cruiser (Takao is second guys don't worry). She is seen here on sea trials in July, 1927, steaming along at high speed.

dvpwfDN.jpg

Aoba underway at Terashima Channel near the Gulf of Sasebo, April 8, 1936. Behind her is Kaga after her final reconstruction.

CxECCZ3.jpg

Aoba seen after her modernization in 1941. Most notable is the aircraft deck, which has been redesigned.

xrmAxAb.jpg

Looking out over the port beam of the ship, over one of the 12 cm DP guns we see an Aichi E13A Type 0 Recon seaplane Model 11 being either set into the water, or recovered, during her accommodation work in October, 1942.

VFdfGxP.jpg

And finally Aoba's fate. She was one of the last of Japan's heavy cruisers to be operational in the final days of WWII. She was sunk in shallow water at Kure on July 28, 1945. 

ofihnkp.jpg

The one pic I have of Aoba's sister, Kinugasa, seen in her original configuration, 1929.

And that is all for these two amazing classes of heavy cruisers. I hope you enjoyed the post and keep a lookout for the other cruisers coming later. Fair winds and following seas captains! :honoring:

• Cool 2