You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Desmios

How do I play a german DD?

12 comments in this topic

[NUGZZ]
Members
574 posts
3,196 battles

Any advice?  Is it mostly a gunship?  Only fires 1 torp...

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

What class of ships has hydro, less camo than DDs, and takes a lot of damage from AP?

Play them like a mini version of that.

Edited by NeutralState

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,994 battles

The same as the piano you inherited. You leave it in the corner and put plants on it.

• Cool 2

Members
2,462 posts
7,179 battles

For attacking bots (all I play against): I use a speed boost and zig-zag straight for them. Most times they can't hit me bad enough to hurt me bad (make sure you get "Last Stand" skill for your Commander). At last minute veer off and shoot torps. I am at tier 6 in German DDs and still use this method with good success. 

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,292 battles

The lower tiers only fire one torpedo forward facing, but still have a normal torp layout for flank shots.

[PWH]
Members
139 posts
6,029 battles

I would disagree. Sure it can deal serious damage to opponents, but it also a very good torpboat. The 90 second reload allows you to put a lot of torps into the water. 

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

No, Germans are an interesting breed. 

Early on, they can be a struggle, but they have the front torpedo launchers at tiers 2 to 4.this is unique and makes for very interesting gameplay. From tier 6 up the focus changes. The torps are OK. They move pretty fast, have decent range, but lack a little in the damage department 

The guns are great. He and AP both are somewhat fragile, but when they aren't breaking, they do good damage, and have a reasonable rate of fire. The Gaede and Z-23 are also unique because they are the only destroyers able to equip 150mm guns, which DO citadel cruisers and flat tops, but never battleships. Oh, and forget about stealth firing unless you are in the z-52

Germans have smoke. It lasts 1 minute. It's bad,  but not unusable. 

Your concealment is okay, it's not great, but it can be used with relative success. 

Speed is decent. Not Russian, but not Shiratsuyu speed. What will kill you is that rudder shift. Definitely put what modules that increase rudder shift on. Being able to turn fast is a requirement to life in a DD. 

you have hydro, which is good, but it's uses are limited because of your gun bloom. In the Gaede, I use hydro and smoke when I'm cornered so I can see the enemy before they see me and surprise them. That tactic is not so successful in higher tiers. 

In summary, the German DDs do not specialize in anything. They aren't OP, they aren't UP, but somewhere in between. In a world of Warships that is pushing away from stealth meta, this may very well be the line to use to get used to avoiding incoming fire and being seen in general. Those torps are good, but they just don't pack a big punch, generally dealing about 8K damage per hit on a BB. Those guns are excellent, but using them when not in smoke means revealing yourself like a flasher in a public park. Your own smoke does not last long enough for you to use that as a crutch for "stealth"  fire but in a WoWS with RDF, I think that hardly matters. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

T2-T4: flank speed and keep jousting your enemies ... Gun down enemy DDs. Just keep an eye out for green ships since torps come out of your ship on 3 sides :teethhappy: V-25 and V-170 are possibly the most fun ships I have ever played in WoWS, only G-101 is a turd inbetween which is inferior to tier 2 ship in every single way.

T5: plays surprisingly close to a IJN torpedoboat style that actually has guns for harassing enemy DDs.

Other will tell you about T6+, I'm on T-22 right now.

[PWH]
Members
139 posts
6,029 battles

I have put in a couple of games in the z-23 and when you couple the two stealth mods together, you become a monster. The 90 second reload is perfect for harassing bb while they have the hardest time trying to detect you. It might not be the best detection of tiers, but when you get down to 6.3 km, not much will be able to get into your detection range that your guns wont take care of. You just have to be careful about using the guns. Best strategic for playing a gunboat german destroyer is to find the enemy destroyer and have allies fire at them to get them to smoke up before you cruiser right up to the smoke and hydro and smoke together to destroy the destroyer while keeping hidden.