Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Emothic

Should I Buy A Premium Ship?

33 comments in this topic

Members
184 posts
181 battles

So I was thinking about buying a premium ship. Mainly I was looking at the Tier 8 Battleship the Tirpitz. However I'm only tier 3 on my highest ship and was wondering if it would be too soon to buy such a high tier premium ship. Should I hold off on it till I get higher tiers, or does the Tirpitz perform well enough that I can play with minor negative impact on gameplay?

Also I was looking at the Premium Tier 9 Battleship the Missouri. But I notice that you can only get the ship with experience and not Dabloones. Why is that?

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,407 battles

jumping from tier 3 to 8 is not likely to be recommended by many but the choice is yours Tirpitz is very good too The Missouri is 750K free xp + 1 credit simply because that is the way WG wanted to sell it Enjoy your time trying to save up that much free xp I am just over 1/2 way there with well over 7000 matches

[DO-IT]
Members
175 posts
6,397 battles

Missouri is like that because WG does not want new player getting tier 9 ships. It is for expierianced players.

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I would avoid jumping right into tier 8 until you've worked your way up that far 'naturally'. Tier 8 game play is considerably different from tier 3 and you may find yourself very frustrated. You're liable to frustrate your teammates as well...

Given your current experience, I would recommend getting a tier 5 or maybe a tier 6 to get you started. Once you get up to tier 8, the Tirpitz is a great ship. As for the Missouri, it's only available with 'free experience' which is counted at the top right of your screen while you're in port. This is earned for every battle you play, or can accumulate on individual ships once you've researched everything. This accumulated ship XP can be converted to free XP with dubloons.

For tier 5 premiums, I would recommend the Texas.

For tier 6 premiums, I would recommend the Arizona or maybe the Warspite, but that's just what I'm personally familiar with and enjoy. I understand the Molotov is decent, but it's a glass cannon meaning that the guns are great but it absolutely cannot take a hit.

Edited by Jiggiwatt
  • Cool 1

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

No. Don't get a Premium with your current highest Tier being Tier 3. Get a T4 maybe but not higher.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,369 battles

I'd recommend getting a Tier VII premium (you are usually top-tier), especially Belfast or Scharnhorst, if you get a premium ship.

I managed to get through the majority of the game without a premium ship, until I got Atlanta last summer as a gift.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,125 battles

Why don't you try buying a mid-tier premium to see if you like battleship type of play at tiers above T3?

Tirpitz is a lot of money to spend if you're not even sure you'll like the style of play.  Texas is a solid BB choice at T5, and Konig Albert is a great BB choice at T3.

Remember, the style of play at T8+ is much different than you're used to at lower tiers.  Its definitely not for everyone, and some even avoid high tiers completely due to a distaste for the current meta.

[VX9]
[VX9]
Beta Testers
420 posts
16,165 battles

I would start with the Texas first, then the Arizona if they are available. Otherwise spend your money converting XP and go up the IJN or German line.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Depends on how many premiums you see yourself getting.

I would try several lines, and see which one is likely to yield more "keepers", then get a premium for that nation.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,876 posts
43,378 battles

Like said above, do not jump way above your tier. You will find yourself out of your league and your team mates will not be happy. Higher tiers have a very different play than lower tiers. Sure, you think you can buy a very powerful ship and you are set, but remember everyone else has a powerful ship, and they have experience at that tier, while you don't.

Gain experience by grinding and learning. Find what classes of ships you do best in and like the most. Do not skip tiers. Use Free XP (collected in every battle as a percentage of XP earned), to buy upgrades (hulls, and armament) for new ships, not to skip ships, grind them and learn from them.

Premium ships have some advantages (like training captains). Buy a ship one or two tiers above your skill, no more if you must.

Re: Missouri. It is a new way to sell ships (Feee XP). It is meant to deter new players from getting a ship they are not prepared for and requires a high skill set to operate successfully. You'll get there eventually.

Edited by alexf24

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

Obvious Troll Post

How? People do this all the time, buy a tier 8 premium after only a few dozen games under their belts. At least the OP had the idea of asking in the forums first.

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,370 posts
29,399 battles

Is the Tirpitz worth it?

Yes.

Should you buy it?

Yes.

Should you play it in PVP?

No.

The tier 8bwill often see tier 10 heavy matches.

The play style is drastically different and you will not enjoy it at all.

I'd recommend a a Texas or Arizona to get your feet wet, so to speak.

I caution you, remember that tier 3 and 4 will not see past tier 5 and the tactics and play style is drastically different.

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

I really don't think it's a good idea to buy a T8 premium until you've ground up a tech line to T6, at an absolute minimum.  Basically, you should see a T8 in battle before you buy one.  As noted, high-tier gameplay is a different beast and you're likely to find playing your expensive T8 premium frustrating until you've built the game experience of  grinding up through the at the low and mid-tiers.

I'd suggest playing a couple dozen more games.  Maybe wait until you've gotten your first tech tree T4 and at least started another tech tree line or two.  Then you'll have a better idea of what kind of ships you like to play and you can tailor your first Premium Ship purchase accordingly.  But keep it T5 or lower for now.  Low tier premiums are cheap and some of them are really fun to play -- if you want to accellerate your game progress, it's not a bad idea to get one of these first to help with credit earning and captain training.

Then you can consider one or more of the high-tier premiums down the road.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Yes it you should buy a premium ship and if you want to buy the Tirpitz, go ahead....just be warned that your going to suck and suck badly in it.

The reason I say he should buy the Tirpitz is because he is spending real money which most people only have limited amounts of so you also have to look at these ships as an investment.  That being the case the Tirpitz is one of the best, most fun and highest earning premiums he could buy.  

That being said, if he just wants a premium that he can enjoy right now without concerns about it being a trainer or its income potential or as the only premium he will own, I wouldn't recommend the Tirpitz yet.  Rather I would recommend the Konig Albert which it near his tier and experience level and only costs $12.  It is also an awesome and powerful ship at its tier and very forgiving for any skill of player.  Then down the road, after he hit at least Tier 6 and has 50-60 battles at that tier under his belt at least, then he should consider the Tirpitz. 

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Don't get a premium ship five tiers above your current max. That's a recipe for disaster, not only for you but for your team as well.

Mind you, at tier 3, you really are not lacking credits or XP. These ships are mostly useful once you get to the higher tiers. On the other hand, one recommendation I would give to *everyone* who plays this often is a premium account. Premium time will reward you MUCH better than a premium ship.

[CHIGR]
Members
243 posts
12,315 battles

At your current state, I would recommend getting a Tier 6 premium so you could explore the higher tier gameplay since it's very different from the Tier 4 or below

I would recommend getting an Arizona: it's slow but with 12x big guns, and very tanky armour.

[GAMMA]
Members
909 posts
18,341 battles

After today's patch and how its messed up the captain skill tree, I don't think I would recommend anyone buy a premium ship (or premium time) until Wargaming sorts this mess out and fixes things.

That said, I certainly wouldn't recommend going from a tier 3 max to a tier 8 premium. If you absolutely feel you must have a premium battleship, take a look at the Konig Albert. Its a tier 3, so you'll already be familiar with the style of game-play that occurs at the tiers it sees. And according to Mouse, its quite over-powered. If you want something that's a bit ahead of where you are now and want a battleship... Texas is a tier 5 and has a decent reputation.

Members
184 posts
181 battles

I have read all of your comments and with such I decided to not get a tier 8 premium ship. Instead I will be looking at getting some of the ships some of you suggested like the Konig Albert or the Texas.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
7,888 posts
22,026 battles

I have read all of your comments and with such I decided to not get a tier 8 premium ship. Instead I will be looking at getting some of the ships some of you suggested like the Konig Albert or the Texas.

Very wise.  You are a bit of a unicorn, you know that?  You come on the forum and ask the experienced players a question...and then you actually take that advice!  Whhuuuut?

Konig Albert is a fantastic ship, and I would recommend it.  Very strong for its tier, and you will enjoy it even after you have advanced will beyond Tier 3.

Good luck, captain, and we shall see you on the digital seas! :honoring:

*edit -  I would also recommend premium time.  At first it doesn't seem like you are getting much from it, but after 3,900 games I find myself very strapped for silver as I try to buy into T9 and T10 ships.  If I would have been running premium time all the way, I would have a much more robust bank account.  Not to mention my Free XP bank would be larger.  The grinds through the tech tree ships would be shorter.  Etc.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

Members
184 posts
181 battles

*edit -  I would also recommend premium time.  At first it doesn't seem like you are getting much from it, but after 3,900 games I find myself very strapped for silver as I try to buy into T9 and T10 ships.  If I would have been running premium time all the way, I would have a much more robust bank account.  Not to mention my Free XP bank would be larger.  The grinds through the tech tree ships would be shorter.  Etc.

Funny you should say that. Just right before I read this, the game offered me 30 days of premium for 20% off. I was kinda hesitant at first, because I can only play about 2 hours a day. But I decided to get it anyways.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,536 posts

The M is that way to either get:

1) People who burn free XP to skip ships but have a ton of "Elite" XP thus would be tempted to pay over $80 to convert that XP

2) People to play ton more to earn free XP during which time they'll buy camo, flags, and anything that WG can sell them to barf up more free XP for "free"

By the time any T3 who is striving for the M they will have at least 1 T8 or well on their way on multiple trees.

Hopefully the OP signed up on someone's friend code and will get the Texas for free.

Sign in to follow this