You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Mouse's Patch Day Summarized...

34 comments in this topic

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Should get USB 3 port with a compatible external drive :teethhappy:

Or use a SSD? 

Edited by saagri

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

Ouch.

Are you somewhere in England?  All my gaming friends from there constantly have slow connection DL issues.

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

See you in game in about 12 hours...

See you in port in about 12 hours. You'll need another several to get your captains straightened out :P

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I should try zipping my Wows folder on my m.2 SSD and see how fast it goes.

It should do it in.... under 5 minutes?

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,675 battles

I'm at about 2.5 hours, of which only about 20-30 minutes was the actual download - the rest has been unpacking, verifying, installing ...

[PSV]
Members
536 posts
22,368 battles

I believe Mouse is in Canada. Broadband outside the major cities in Canada can be pretty poor - just guessing that's the issue but I don't know for sure.

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

why back up every patch?

Replays.

Replays only work with the version they were recorded in, so CCs youtubers etc back up every version of the game as they go.

edit: also folks, thats got nothing to do with broadband speeds, thats moving files around on a hard drive.

Edited by Xechran

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

Oh, heavens, that's not my download timer, boys and girls.  That's Windows archiving my old World of Warships clients.  I'm running out of space on my primary hard disk.  I went through all of my old World of Warships clients, pruned a couple thousand replays and tens of thousands of screenshots in order to trim down the size of the old clients.  I needed to create enough room to archive 0.5.16 and then install 0.6.0.

why back up every patch?

To be able to review replays.  Each update breaks the old replay system.  When I write reviews or discussing certain aspects of the game, I go over old replays to pull information.  I'm also entertaining the idea, when I upgrade my rig, to do a Youtube series highlighting old replays that would be otherwise lost to the mists of time. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,548 posts
20,964 battles

Sorry but reading comprehension for the loss. Sad how many posting here think that is a download when it is actually mouse creating zip/rar archives of previous game installs.

Might be time for a bigger backup drive instead of going through all that.

[SALVO]
Members
16,371 posts
10,167 battles

replays are broken every patch 

yeah, but... how that works? do you keep a client for every patch? I don't think so... 

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,369 battles

To be able to review replays.  Each update breaks the old replay system.  When I write reviews or discussing certain aspects of the game, I go over old replays to pull information.  I'm also entertaining the idea, when I upgrade my rig, to do a Youtube series highlighting old replays that would be otherwise lost to the mists of time. 

I would like to see your videos.  :)

Members
488 posts
10,310 battles

Might be time for a bigger backup drive instead of going through all that.

I remember a time when I struggled to install X-Wing collectors CD rom. It required a massive 2 mb of space on the hdd for a full install.

These days its, "What, my 2 terabyte hdd is filling up? Hand me the third external from the left will ya?"

[SALVO]
Members
16,371 posts
10,167 battles

Oh, heavens, that's not my download timer, boys and girls.  That's Windows archiving my old World of Warships clients.  I'm running out of space on my primary hard disk.  I went through all of my old World of Warships clients, pruned a couple thousand replays and tens of thousands of screenshots in order to trim down the size of the old clients.  I needed to create enough room to archive 0.5.16 and then install 0.6.0.

TY for the answer, It looks like a lot of work, if I had to do that, I might consider recoding the replays I needed to a workable format and getting rid of the rest, it looks like a lot of bagage.

Beta Testers
199 posts
2,837 battles

I believe Mouse is in Canada. Broadband outside the major cities in Canada can be pretty poor - just guessing that's the issue but I don't know for sure.

Even in the major cities its pretty bad. Shaw just rolled out 150mb internet last summer which is a step in the right direction. 

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

TY for the answer, It looks like a lot of work, if I had to do that, I might consider recoding the replays I needed to a workable format and getting rid of the rest, it looks like a lot of bagage.

Welcome to life as a Community Contributor.  It's not all pink forum tags and play-testing new content.  Some of it is a real, thankless hassle.  :P
  • Cool 5

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Sounds cool! I look forward to seeing your videos. 

[-DZ-]
Members
178 posts
14,777 battles

You're much more dedicated than I...

Of course, I don't have that CC label. Whenever I see a new patch coming, I'll use OBS Studio (love open source stuff!) to record any special gameplays I might have had, and then I clear the replay directory. WoWS already takes up enough drive space. I don't want to think how much space, even compressed, all those versions of the game takes up.

Members
57 posts
1,717 battles

Replays.

Replays only work with the version they were recorded in, so CCs youtubers etc back up every version of the game as they go.

Dammit, I shoulda thought of that.  :C

They really need to beat the "thrown together rude hack" nature out of the playback system.... :/

Edited by TheRenegrade

[RLGN]
Members
19,122 posts
35,145 battles

These days its, "What, my 2 terabyte hdd is filling up? Hand me the third external from the left will ya?"

lol.. I actually have my oldest external, a 500GB, and two 2Ts hooked up to my computer right now, with a third waiting in the wings because I need at least one open USB for flashdrive neccessary work.

Members
1,060 posts
4,636 battles

I'm not certain you community contributors get thanked enough for all the work you put into making this game easier to understand for the rest of us.  Anyway, thank you very much.