You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Future_Coral_Reef

RDF is too OP

116 comments in this topic

Members
224 posts
5,183 battles

Leave it to WG to think up a captains skill that sucks the fun out of the game...

Like for real? I run a game in my sims and I am spotted the WHOLE match because everyone has RDF? Just rename the skill to DESTROYER NERF because thats EXACTLY what it is... a nerf against DD players. I spend money buying the sims and this is how you repay me WG? By making my DD next to impossible to play? I Hell... Whats the point of having smoke on the DDs when everyone can just RDF you through it? Oh, I better watch my mouth or WG will like my idea and just eliminate smoke all together next!

Sorry about the rant. Just ticked off.

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

Umm...

RPF does not give an exact bearing to target.   If you pop smoke, you have just given a far more accurate bearing to your pursuer, and confirmation of what type of ship he is facing.

You do realize that visual detection of targets was pretty much obsolete by mid 1942?

• Cool 1

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

1) RDF is a tier 4 captain skill amongst a bunch of other really powerful skills. Not everyone will take it. In fact, very very few will take it on their first pass through that tier, only affording it when they get to 14 points. Concealment Expert is still the king of the captain tree, now cheaper than ever :D

2) The bloody skill actually tells the defending player when they are being tracked. This allows sneaky players to know when they are in danger. This is kind of a big deal.

Here's the reality: Most players will have two tier 4 captain skills. Battleship players will take AFT for sure, and either Manual Secondaries or Concealment Expert. Or Fire Prevention. Basically, destroyer's favorite target won't have this skill. Destroyers will most absolutely take Concealment Expert first (or AFT in the case of Russian DDs). They will probably favor other skills like BFT, SE, DE before this one. The class of ships that will probably take RDF are cruisers, which fits with their role of DD killers. And cruisers badly need a buff due to being overwhelmed by battleships without carriers to keep them in check.

tl;dr: RDF is nowhere near as powerful, nor will be anywhere near as common as many people think. So take a chill pill.

• Cool 2

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

I think for now, a pretty large amount of people might be taking RDF before they realize that it's not useful on every ship, especially when playing solo.  The numbers of RDF users will probably dwindle over time because of competition with other skills. Just gotta weather the storm for now. I will never say RDF is not strong, because it's potentially game changing in a somewhat negative way; I will not, however, ever say that it's all-powerful and going to be the end of WoWS like some people seem to think it is.

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

The class of ships that will probably take RDF are cruisers, which fits with their role of DD killers. And cruisers badly need a buff due to being overwhelmed by battleships without carriers to keep them in check.

tl;dr: RDF is nowhere near as powerful, nor will be anywhere near as common as many people think. So take a chill pill.

So Cruisers needed a buff vs. Destroyers because Battleships are running around unchecked, deleting Cruisers, due to the lack of Carriers?

Sounds more like Cruisers needed a buff vs. Battleships rather Destroyers.

What better way to help Cruisers survive in a Battleship heavy environment than add another tool to help hunt down what are supposed to be Battleship's hard counter.

While I am more pessimistic about what impact RDF will have than you, I agree its not the end of the world.

I am more mystified about why it even exists in the first place.

Using an analogy, its an answer to a question very few, if any, were asking.

• Cool 7

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

1) RDF is a tier 4 captain skill amongst a bunch of other really powerful skills. Not everyone will take it. In fact, very very few will take it on their first pass through that tier, only affording it when they get to 14 points. Concealment Expert is still the king of the captain tree, now cheaper than ever :D

2) The bloody skill actually tells the defending player when they are being tracked. This allows sneaky players to know when they are in danger. This is kind of a big deal.

Here's the reality: Most players will have two tier 4 captain skills. Battleship players will take AFT for sure, and either Manual Secondaries or Concealment Expert. Or Fire Prevention. Basically, destroyer's favorite target won't have this skill. Destroyers will most absolutely take Concealment Expert first (or AFT in the case of Russian DDs). They will probably favor other skills like BFT, SE, DE before this one. The class of ships that will probably take RDF are cruisers, which fits with their role of DD killers. And cruisers badly need a buff due to being overwhelmed by battleships without carriers to keep them in check.

My new US DD build will probably be:

1 - PT

2 - LS

3 - VIL

4 - CE, RPF

Not sure about the next skill, probably a T2

Members
236 posts
2,361 battles

People keep trying to discount and downplay RDF but I'd say the majority of players are going to hate it and its vastly OP and ruins the game in many ways..

It should of never went live

• Cool 3

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

My new US DD build will probably be:

1 - PT

2 - LS

3 - VIL

4 - CE, RPF

Not sure about the next skill, probably a T2

Might I *strongly* recommend Survivability Expert if you're playing USN DDs. RDF is solid for hunting DDs ... but once you find them, you'll most certainly miss the 3500 added health on a Gearing.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Might I *strongly* recommend Survivability Expert if you're playing USN DDs. RDF is solid for hunting DDs ... but once you find them, you'll most certainly miss the 3500 added health on a Gearing.

Gearing is a different build as I feel TA is a "must have" skill along with LS. So that's 2 - T2 skills.

Gearing is

1 - PT

2 - LS, TA

3 - VIL, SE

4 - CE

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

I would strongly recommend a 1-2-2-2 build for a Gearing. 

1- PM

2- TA / LS 

3- SE / DE

4- HEAP / CE

Have a DD with RPF hunting you? 

use your intuition to turn into him and smash his mouth with your better HP / DPM. 

Members
153 posts
13,160 battles

Umm...

RPF does not give an exact bearing to target.   If you pop smoke, you have just given a far more accurate bearing to your pursuer, and confirmation of what type of ship he is facing.

You do realize that visual detection of targets was pretty much obsolete by mid 1942?

Oh you want to go to reality, ok, where is my radar jammer,(for radar) where are my silent props(for hydro),  where is my AA on my destroyer since USN destroyers shot down more planes then all the other ship classes combined including carriers.  USN Destroyers are fierce killers, they are the most decorated ships in naval history. 
Edited by DQCraze
  • Cool 1

Members
224 posts
5,183 battles

Oh you want to go to reality, ok, where is my radar jammer,(for radar) where are my silent props(for hydro),  where is my AA on my destroyer since USN destroyers shot down more planes then all the other ship classes combined including carriers.  USN Destroyers are fierce killers, they are the most decorated ships in naval history. 

^ this ^

I am sick of the constant flipping between wanting to be a arcade game and being a simulator from WG.

Detonations, RDF - "Its realistic! You people said you want Realistic" - Wargaming

For everything else thats realistic we want

"Its a arcade game! You can't have realistic!" -Wargaming

Make up your mind WG... Is it a simulator or an Arcade game?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Say don't forget the smoke with radar chaff inside it... that's big too... 

As to the Gearing build, I wanna make sure I get it right first time - do NOT want to spend doubloons to reskill a second time. I think a week will tell us for sure what the best builds are gonna be... 

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

As to the Gearing build, I wanna make sure I get it right first time - do NOT want to spend doubloons to reskill a second time. I think a week will tell us for sure what the best builds are gonna be... 

Or the Chaff rounds used in the 5inch mk 38 . 

Most if not all USN DD's had Radar jamming sets for air and ground. You could essentially hide yourself from radar contact. 

As for that specific counter, do not expect it. I asked this question in the QA yesterday. 

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

"Its a arcade game! You can't have realistic!" -Wargaming

Make up your mind WG... Is it a simulator or an Arcade game?

I totally agree with you.

No arguing that the USN DDs were excellent ships in WW2.  That said, just how many BBs were sunk by DDs in the entirety of the conflict by all belligerents?  And of that number, how many were destroyed by fires started from destroyer guns?

DDs have an important role in the game, I would never want them nerfed to extinction.  I admire those that play them well.  I have tried and it's just not my thing at all, though the Sims that I got in a Supercontainer is growing on me.  I like that thing.

I just would like to see the game mechanics place all the different classes of ships into their actual roles better, and not this totally made up rock/paper/scissors meta where there are "hard counters" and the like,

Edited by ElAurens

[RLGN]
Members
19,139 posts
35,179 battles

I think a week will tell us for sure what the best builds are gonna be.

Yay... min-max lawyers in games and what they do has always hacked me off. Like spending big bucks to get the 'Kill All' deck in MTG or some such game.

Prefered the older, sinple skill tree, because min-max has never been a strong point of mine in gaming. I am left then with being an 'also ran' whose best option is to follow in someone elses skill-recommendation  footsteps... Yay.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[MAR_U]
Beta Testers
828 posts
10,391 battles

re-skills are going to be 1 dubloom for the first week, so ill probably try out a few builds on my higher teir ships to see what works on live.

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

I totally agree with you.

No arguing that the USN DDs were excellent ships in WW2.  That said, just how many BBs were sunk by DDs in the entirety of the conflict by all belligerents?  And of that number, how many were destroyed by fires started from destroyer guns?

That statement could apply to anything though.

Like how many IJN BB's were sunk by USN BB's? not many.

Regardless of who sunk what, I think we can both agree that CV's did the majority of sinking.  (CA's, DD's, BB's) 

Which is a stark contrast to this game :P 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
182 posts

I would strongly recommend a 1-2-2-2 build for a Gearing. 

1- PM

2- TA / LS 

3- SE / DE

4- HEAP / CE

Have a DD with RPF hunting you? 

use your intuition to turn into him and smash his mouth with your better HP / DPM. 

Well the problem here is that you will not be able to because if used correctly, that DD will give your position to friendlies that will pile on. Basically, it 100% affects the DD's greatest friend: Stealth...Without stealth, a DD is useless, and this new skill if used correctly can easily ensure that your stealth is compromised ESPECIALLY if you are a close range DD (Shima with 8km torps, etc). So yes, the new skill is extremely problematic for short-range DDs, whether people believe it or not and short range DDs already have it hard, now it will be brutally hard and the question will be: Is it worth the reward for DD captains? Also, get ready to be hit more by friendly torps. People will most likely play more long range DDs, thus spam torps from further range, and this leads to more friendlies being hit.

Members
224 posts
5,183 battles

Regardless of who sunk what, I think we can both agree that CV's did the majority of sinking.  (CA's, DD's, BB's) 

Only because WG did such a crappy job with CVs that nobody wants to play them. They are the least fun ships in the game.
  • Cool 1

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

That statement could apply to anything though.

Like how many IJN BB's were sunk by USN BB's? not many.

Can't argue that.

In the economics of killing, the Carrier is the clear winner in reality.

[MAR_U]
Beta Testers
828 posts
10,391 battles

Only because WG did such a crappy job with CVs that nobody wants to play them. They are the least fun ships in the game.

when i fight an opponent with the same load-out as me and of the same nation, i find them to be quite fun. its when you fight a AS with a Strike that the game-play becomes frustrating because of the limited ammo (planes)
  • Cool 1