You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Littorio_Vittorio

Nagato, what should I expect?

30 comments in this topic

[-HOJ-]
Members
186 posts
3,602 battles

Alright, So I will soon be unlocking the Nagato, what should I expect from her in the current state of the game, since most reviews seems to be dated a little bit.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Good Secondaries.

Railgun accuracy.

Biggest guns of her tier at 410mm over Colorado's 406mm and Gneisenau's 380mm guns.

Middle ground for speed at 24.5kts. Shares her 19.9km range with Gneisenau.

Largest hitpoint pool fully upgraded for her tier at 65000. 

Weakest belt in Tier 7 at 303mm, but not ineffective with proper handling.

Good torp damage reduction.

She's versatile. Can go max secondaries or guns depending on playstyle. I've got mine setup for secondaries.

First member of the Big 7 to be constructed. And if I'm not mistaken, the first battleship ever built with 16inch guns. 

That's pretty much it. To me, she's my venerated Queen of Tier 7, and my favorite Tier 7. Scharnhorst comes in at 2nd place and Kiev in 3rd.

The reviews are dated but still apply. Just don't get within 6km of a German Tier 7 BB.

~Hunter

• Cool 2

Members
186 posts
2,090 battles

Good Secondaries.

Railgun accuracy.

Biggest guns of her tier at 410mm over Colorado's 406mm and Gneisenau's 380mm guns.

Middle ground for speed at 24.5kts. Shares her 19.9km range with Gneisenau.

Largest hitpoint pool fully upgraded for her tier at 65000. 

Weakest belt in Tier 7 at 303mm, but not ineffective with proper handling.

Good torp damage reduction.

She's versatile. Can go max secondaries or guns depending on playstyle. I've got mine setup for secondaries.

First member of the Big 7 to be constructed. And if I'm not mistaken, the first battleship ever built with 16inch guns. 

That's pretty much it. To me, she's my venerated Queen of Tier 7, and my favorite Tier 7. Scharnhorst comes in at 2nd place and Kiev in 3rd.

The reviews are dated but still apply. Just don't get within 6km of a German Tier 7 BB.

~Hunter

Heh, can someone tell my Nagato to have that sort of accuracy? I find that AP is unreliable as all hell above 15km, the dispersion just puts the shots everywhere but my target, and that's with proper lead and elevation. It's ridiculous. 

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Very good guns and pretty decent armor.

You are NOT a brawler. You're much better off at 12-14km, shooting at cruisers. Cruisers. Shoot at cruisers.

So you have the option to shoot at a battleship or a cruiser at around 14km, which do you shoot? The cruiser.

Then, once your railguns have killed them all, shoot at the battleships.

I always start a new ship in a few coop battles to get the aim right but it's pretty easy in the Nagato. Also upgrade hulls as soon as possible. Hulls are most important as they add rudder shift and AA.

Secondaries are awesome but don't spec for it. Spec for main guns.

Members
186 posts
2,090 battles

Very good guns and pretty decent armor.

You are NOT a brawler. You're much better off at 12-14km, shooting at cruisers. Cruisers. Shoot at cruisers.

So you have the option to shoot at a battleship or a cruiser at around 14km, which do you shoot? The cruiser.

Then, once your railguns have killed them all, shoot at the battleships.

I always start a new ship in a few coop battles to get the aim right but it's pretty easy in the Nagato. Also upgrade hulls as soon as possible. Hulls are most important as they add rudder shift and AA.

Secondaries are awesome but don't spec for it. Spec for main guns.

Enhancing secondaries to use in a fight isn't really the point, I did it to punish DDs that decide to torp me, and it works well. Now, if this were the Bismark on the other hand...

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Heh, can someone tell my Nagato to have that sort of accuracy? I find that AP is unreliable as all hell above 15km, the dispersion just puts the shots everywhere but my target, and that's with proper lead and elevation. It's ridiculous. 

She's not the best. But she's my favorite.

Yes, her dispersion is wonky at times, but it's far from neing Scharnhorst's lvl of terrible.

~Hunter

Members
186 posts
2,090 battles

She's not the best. But she's my favorite.

Yes, her dispersion is wonky at times, but it's far from neing Scharnhorst's lvl of terrible.

~Hunter

What? The Shiny Horse's accuracy is amazing, trumped only by the only other ship to carry 283s. I reliably hit targets at range, dispersion isn't TOO bad with a 20km max.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,679 posts
4,052 battles

Alright, So I will soon be unlocking the Nagato, what should I expect from her in the current state of the game, since most reviews seems to be dated a little bit.

Angle

Do not try to snipe in this ship. The long range just means you can engage targets at range when you need to do such and if they are doing something that will cost them greatly

-example: Seeing a ship stationary going bow on in the distance while broadside to you, you fire at this target at long range.

Try to keep yourself at around 12km from your main target, at this range the guns with the second hull and the aiming modification have pretty good dispersion. On heavily angled enemy BB's, use your HE on their superstructure. You have powerful HE, so do not be afraid to use it here.

Basically, just like the Fuso, rain HE on bow on targets and when they turn to show their sides, AP the hell out of them. Be weary of going in close fights with the Colorado, as it has a tighter turning circle making it easier for them to out turn you to fire a broadside, but you do have the better turret traverse. I also shouldn't have to tell you why to be weary of getting close to the Gnei and Scharn, it's possible to get into a brawl fight with them and win if you know how to dance at close range with the ship. I've won quite a few close up's with a Scharn and Tirpitz with them firing torpedo's, you just need to know when to turn into them to avoid the spread, that isn't an easy thing to do.

Keep an eye out for enemy CV's, you do not have the best AA and they know it and will try to priority you over the other Tier 7 BB's.

As for the Secondaries, the Nagato has a lot of them, and the nice thing is that most fire forward; however, they are mostly only good for engaging enemy DD's and cruisers that get too close due to the majority of the guns being the 14cm firing AP shells.

Edited by Azumazi

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

What? The Shiny Horse's accuracy is amazing, trumped only by the only other ship to carry 283s. I reliably hit targets at range, dispersion isn't TOO bad with a 20km max.

Nah, I know she can hit well at range, since I have her myself. But she's got nothing on Nagato.

~Hunter

Members
2 posts
4,576 battles

I love my nagato!  I have just started playing with her this past month as I did not like the US BB line and the German BB line past bismark is not to my liking either.  I have been very pleasently suprised with her as I get about 3 to 4 kills a game.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

What to expect? Citadels, citadels everywhere, you will lane lots of citadels and you will eat citadels because your armor is crapcompared to other T7 BBs. Nagato is very accurate, if your aim is good you will one shot ships left and right, but if you suck at aiming you will miss allot (and then come to the forums and whine)

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,166 posts
30,915 battles

Nagato's gun salvos are among the most accurate in the game for Battleships.  Of course, if your aim is off, that "accurate" salvo is no longer "accurate." :trollface:  If you're right on, she will reward you.  She isn't a "Spray and Pray" BB like Fuso is.  You have to be on point on your aim.

Edit:  Nagato's Tier VII peers?

- Colorado has accurate guns but eats damage.  Nagato can easily win that war of attrition by just constantly hitting.  She'll win out with her significant HP pool advantage over CO.  Nagato also has a ranged advantage unless Colorado takes the range upgrade, which means no Secondaries or AA Build for CO.

- Scharnhorst & Gneisenau.  These 2 ships are the most complained about rivals for Nagato.  They are fast, they can overtake Nagato.  They have very strong Secondaries and of course, torpedoes.  Nagato getting into a knife fight with these 2 is at a severe disadvantage.  Your sides will be exposed for easy perforation and you'll eat lots of secondary fire, as well as torpedoes.  However, the threat of these 2 German BBs can be mitigated.

Do not sail solo.  Preferably have the company of DDs and Cruisers.  No BB wants to blitz into a bunch of torpedo wielding DDs and Cruisers, nor stick out to get focus fired.  This forces Scharnhorst and Gneisenau to be patient and sit back instead of having a clean lane to bullrush Nagato.  Fighting at range is where Nagato excels with her great accuracy and far stronger 410mm guns.  German BBs while having turtlebacks, etc. still have poor upper belt armor.  Go to port and view the armor of Gneisenau, see how thick it is at the upper belt so you know where to aim.  Scharnhorst is the same way.  You may not get a bunch of citadels, but you can good penetrating shots.  FYI, Nagato has the power to punch straight through Scharnhorst bow-on.

Also, as someone that owns Scharnhorst, I saw a lot... and I mean A LOT... of Nagato drivers sailing straight for my Scharnhorst for a brawl, knife fight.  It's inexplicable.  It's not like I'm ambushing them.  I've had numerous Nagatos I'm positive spot me at range and sail straight for me, so I oblige and destroy them in a short range fight.  Do not ever do that with your Nagato, not unless you got some aces up your sleeve to win.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

- Scharnhorst & Gneisenau.  These 2 ships are the most complained about rivals for Nagato.  They are fast, they can overtake Nagato.  They have very strong Secondaries and of course, torpedoes.  Nagato getting into a knife fight with these 2 is at a severe disadvantage.  Your sides will be exposed for easy perforation and you'll eat lots of secondary fire, as well as torpedoes.  However, the threat of these 2 German BBs can be mitigated.

Do not sail solo.  Preferably have the company of DDs and Cruisers.  No BB wants to blitz into a bunch of torpedo wielding DDs and Cruisers, nor stick out to get focus fired.  This forces Scharnhorst and Gneisenau to be patient and sit back instead of having a clean lane to bullrush Nagato.  Fighting at range is where Nagato excels with her great accuracy and far stronger 410mm guns.  German BBs while having turtlebacks, etc. still have poor upper belt armor.  Go to port and view the armor of Gneisenau, see how thick it is at the upper belt so you know where to aim.  Scharnhorst is the same way.  You may not get a bunch of citadels, but you can good penetrating shots.  FYI, Nagato has the power to punch straight through Scharnhorst bow-on.

Also, as someone that owns Scharnhorst, I saw a lot... and I mean A LOT... of Nagato drivers sailing straight for my Scharnhorst for a brawl, knife fight.  It's inexplicable.  It's not like I'm ambushing them.  I've had numerous Nagatos I'm positive spot me at range and sail straight for me, so I oblige and destroy them in a short range fight.  Do not ever do that with your Nagato, not unless you got some aces up your sleeve to win.

The Nagato is great at close range against the German BBs if it's sailing away. It's not faster, but it has enough speed to stay out of torpedo range, and a Nagato angling away will out-damage either German BB where it's angling or coming bow-on. The hard part is getting turned away without eating a belly fully of citadels. Generally, the edge of secondary range seems to work, though longer range is better.

16-inch AP is very, very powerful at tier 7 -- it goes through the bow of everything if you know where to aim. Against tier 8+ it's a lot less effective thought, since those ships have better bow armor and better armor in general.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,166 posts
30,915 battles

The Nagato is great at close range against the German BBs if it's sailing away. It's not faster, but it has enough speed to stay out of torpedo range, and a Nagato angling away will out-damage either German BB where it's angling or coming bow-on. The hard part is getting turned away without eating a belly fully of citadels. Generally, the edge of secondary range seems to work, though longer range is better.

16-inch AP is very, very powerful at tier 7 -- it goes through the bow of everything if you know where to aim. Against tier 8+ it's a lot less effective thought, since those ships have better bow armor and better armor in general.

Yep, Nagato's AP is respectable!

W3tceW8.jpg

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,624 battles

Scharnhorst:  I'll bow in, fight me!

Nagato:  Nice bow you've got there.  Would be a shame if someone were to cave it in.

Members
482 posts
25,457 battles

I like the ship and I don't have the B-hull yet! The main guns are pretty accurate and the secondaries at Tier 7 are very good and a blast to watch when ships get in range of them. I definitely like it better than the Tier 6 Fuso.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

A small warning from a Nagato lover: Her guns aren't ACTUALLY that accurate.

They're one of the most accurate BB guns in game, with good accuracy numbers and 2.0 sigma. But she's still a battleship, subject to battleship RNG, with only 8 barrels. If you're expecting more than that you'll just be disappointed.

On the other hand, those guns do feel good. Adjusting to them will take time, but it's well worth it. The difficult part of playing her is knowing how aggressive to be. You see, Nagato is soft. But she's decently nimble, has lots of HP, and has nice secondaries if specced for. If you want to do well in her you need to know when to put those traits to use.

Members
34 posts
9,515 battles

nagato is a sniper: big guns, good accuracy, GOD penetration (no armour on any T7 and bellow), better turret tranverse then fuso and slow ROF. 12-17 km is a good window for play with him, and have time to react. With you accuracy is easy to hit anything. 

But is harder to use then fuso, you need good aim and positioning for dont be surprise.
Obs: not imune to cits like germans, caution if you will rush

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

It's not a Colorado so it already has that going for it.

Just hang back a bit and let the guns work.  Their accuracy and velocity are pretty good.  You have good rudder shift and you are fast enough to stay relevant.  If you say angled, you can make that huge HP pool last a long time.

Beta Testers
1,156 posts

Pain and suffering, mostly.

Inaccurate guns, lousy penetration (bouncing off of broadside CL's all the time), and many, many shots that just plain don't do any damage thanks to awful terminal performance.  

Mediocre secondaries, poor AA, and absolutely useless armor.

The ship is fairly quick though, which is about the only good point.

Members
119 posts
2,836 battles

You can expect tears to flow from scharnhorst/gneis captains as you continually pen them while they drive straight at you with only two turrets to return fire . Expect more tears to flow as you bounce their shrimpy 11/15" shells off of your angled hull. Be prepared for rage as you citadel the Izumo/Iowa that has turned broadside to you and failed to respect your 410mm care package. Expect 70-80k average damage if you're anything other than a complete potato. Just know that statistically Nagato doesn't have the highest average damage, but it does have the highest potential of any tier 7 battleship (by about 20k). Nagato rewards intelligence, but will brutally punish poor play. I played 13 games with just her last night and don't believe I've ever had as much fun (maybe in Dunkerque). 

Edited by umpdump

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,540 battles

Unlocked this past weekend, have to say that stock hull, without propulsion upgrade has been a bit painful.  Have only taken it out four times, but each time has been up tiered - debating between doing propulsion upgrade now or waiting to get enough exp to do the hull first. Hopefully will get better with upgrades and more experience with the guns.

[CREDO]
Members
2,457 posts
9,230 battles

You can expect tears to flow from scharnhorst/gneis captains as you continually pen them while they drive straight at you with only two turrets to return fire . Expect more tears to flow as you bounce their shrimpy 11/15" shells off of your angled hull. Be prepared for rage as you citadel the Izumo/Iowa that has turned broadside to you and failed to respect your 410mm care package. Expect 70-80k average damage if you're anything other than a complete potato. Just know that statistically Nagato doesn't have the highest average damage, but it does have the highest potential of any tier 7 battleship (by about 20k). Nagato rewards intelligence, but will brutally punish poor play. I played 13 games with just her last night and don't believe I've ever had as much fun (maybe in Dunkerque).

yeah, what he said.

switched to a full 2dary build for my nagato, and have been loving it. not only does is it improve AA (which needs it), but have been wading thru DDs and CAs that get too close. once you figure out the glide time for the shells (13 seconds short of forever), it's remarkably accurate at 23+km. (ed. note: this is relative. this means once and a while 1 or 2 shells will hit, and do damage. occasionally you will pen and cit a T9 BB with light horizontal armor. they love it. have had decent luck shooting at BBs going in a straight line, it will probably be nerfed soon)

you will be a target for anything with torps. CVs, DDs, CAs... BBs that have them. get the rudder shift stuff. prepare to defend yourself.

Members
117 posts
7,738 battles

Took mine out for the first time today, and I tell you, the guns are a far cry from the shotgun that is Fuso.  I actually nailed an Amagi (it was a citadel hit, too) from 18 km out just before she would've gone behind an island.  In total, I managed about 90k damage.  Now I just need to get the credits now to fill in missing upgrades (e.g. Steering Gears Mod. 2).

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,316 battles

I have had my Nagato for a while now. Think I have played about 20 games +/- so far in it. I grind all the BB's in a tier then start working on the next one once I have all 3. So Once I got Gneisenau I worked on Nagato and once I got Nagato I worked on Colorado. Now that I have all 3 T7 BB I will be playing it more. So, other than the daily bonus and a few extra games right at first I haven't played it too much to this point. But, FWIW...

Overall I like the ship. Have decided I like it well enough, even with so few games, that I will keep it so I purchased the premium camo for it to help with costs( I mainly play Co-op )and to increase XP towards Amagi at T8. The guns hit like a runaway freight train and I love them. However, RNG plays a huge factor in that. I have games where I get multiple citadels in one salvo even way at range and just melt ships and then I have games where at 8km I am lucky to get one hit from a salvo and 840 points in damage. Usually they are pretty accurate but at times RNG makes them just horrifically bad.

Ship speed is okay although nothing spectacular. You can still get run down by fast BB's like the T7 KM ones and Cruisers and Destroyers. It just takes longer than it does in a USN BB. I find the ship's maneuverability very sluggish. I did not go with the rudder shift improvement upgrade and instead went with a secondary build and I am questioning that a little. With SBM2 + a Capt w/ AFT you can push your secondary range to 7.2km which is pretty decent. I went this route and it helps a lot when you have a CL or DD in close. Also helps a lot when you are trying to run from a faster BB like the T7 KM ones as it starts pelting them over 2km further out. Unfortunately, a lot of Nagato's secondary's shoot AP and I think it is less effective than if they all shot HE. Still, pretty good. I might give up the secondary build( range would drop to 6km without SBM2 due to Capt w/ AFT )and got for the rudder shift improvement as it really is sluggish in turns. Makes it hard(er)to dodge torps and islands.

It's one big weakness is the armor. The side is very squishy. I am not sure which is worse, Colorado or Nagato? Both just eat citadels and massive damage if you make a mistake and get broadside to another BB( or wind up where you just can't angle to all ships shooting you ). Even T5/T6 BB's can paddle you if you show too much side. When angled properly( bow on or going away )it does okay but again man you have to be careful of your side as it is like paper to BB guns. I also find Nagato, like all the IJN BB's, to be extremely easy to catch fire. I swear the IJN used flammable paint on their BB's LOL. All you need is one HE shell to land somewhere on your side of the map and you go up in flames.

AA is respectable although nothing special. You won't stop every torp plane or dive bomber from getting through but you at least reduce the numbers. You will do much better if there is a CL/DD with good AA around to help with AA.

Overall, despite some weaknesses and flaws it is a very good BB. And those 410MM, when they hit, can do massive damage to anything they are hitting.

Edited by AdmiralThunder