Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lensar

RFP is only a threat to potato farmers

62 comments in this topic

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
11,780 battles

I'm primarily a DD player. I think all the recent IJN nerfs are ducksquat. I quit the game for almost a year because of the DS, game-breaking, radar mechanic. Here are some stats for proof:

nAjm9Co.jpg

xST3BT2.jpg

I believe that RFP will only affect DD players that prey upon the inexperienced, unskilled, and situationally inept. I don't think it will affect players that are trying to compete against the other skilled players in the game.

If you aren't focused on being a potato farmer, you should have nothing at all to worry about from RFP. It's actually a GOOD change, one that makes the weak more competitive but offers no benefit to players that are already skilled.

(now please remove radar, kkthx)

Again, I may turn out to be completely wrong, but I'm not the least bit worried about RFP. Who cares if people know which direction my DD is coming from? It's not like I've snuck behind enemy lines and am trying to come up behind them. Any player with any sense or situational awareness already knows my general positioning, so this buys them absolutely nothing.

On the other hand, this can be a huge help to the situationally inept, the clueless, and those still new to the game. And honestly, I think giving them more tools to deal with the likes of my DD is a good thing, not a bad one. I'm all for boosting the less skilled/experienced as long as it doesn't make the already OP skilled players, even more OP.

Radar is a ham-fisted bush-league amateur game design mechanic added to the game. There's no adapting to radar. Every time you're caught by it, it feels like complete ducksquat and you feel completely robbed by an utterly cheap and ridiculous mechanic in an otherwise extremely fun and compelling game. The only adaption is to not play concealment DDs higher than T7 or 8.

RFP is different. It's not a magic i-win button that strips DDs of their only form of defense resulting in pretty much an insta-death. It let's people know which direction you're in, that's it. Honestly, I would give every stock ship free RFP if it meant removing the broken DS radar mechanic from the game.

If someone's DD play style relies solely on preying upon the inexperienced and situationally inept players, I'm perfectly fine with RFP making DDs too hard to play for those folks.

Title moderated by Mezurashi.

Edited by Mezurashi
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Meanwhile...

Yūgumo 9 DD Japan 37 64.86% 71,236 2,185 8.4 1.8 0.8 78% 48% 10% 2,311

vs. my T9 Kagero stats

IX Kagero (< 01.12.2016)

7 3 1,177

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
11,780 battles

Meanwhile...

Yūgumo 9 DD Japan 37 64.86% 71,236 2,185 8.4 1.8 0.8 78% 48% 10% 2,311

I look forward to seeing your stats when you have 370 matches.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I share your opinion of radar. I am just seriously worried that once it is stacked with RDF...

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

I have the same opinion that RPF is a potato skill and not nearly as scary as people think, but a different opinion on whether it was a good idea (basically, that RPF will just lead to more lopsided games because so many more DDs are going to freak out and refuse to cap/spot due to omgRPF). http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/112312-rpfradio-location-is-not-op-its-a-potato-skill-but-its-still-a-bad-idea-for-the-meta/

Edited by poeticmotion

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

The op is taking the skill tree description for face value and not thinking past what WG has outline for him to follow.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

RPF will be problematic if many people take it. Not sure what RFP is.

So the OP basing his opinion on RFP by 2 facts : 

RFP is a Request for Proposal. It's a document that a government agency sends out when it seeks bids from private industry for a project. :D

Edited by poeticmotion

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,478 battles

*blinks*

Take one Chapayev  (note Has Radar) ((Any RADAR equipped cruiser will do but Chappy is best))

Add Concealment Module, Spec commander with Concealment expert and of course RPF other skills as per your personal preference for cruisers..

Enter match, cruise around for a little, avoid combat at first wait and give time for sneaky DD's to move off to flanks.. move to one flank or another and note RPF indicator..  no ship that direction?.. but RPF says some thing there?  Crank it up to full speed and zero in nose on.. when you get  the Spotted indicator count 5 seconds, no more, and activate RADAR.. shoot now revealed DD and sink them... Rinse repeat as needed.  (you may have to dodge some torps)...But odds are good you may not even need to pop RADAR as the DD realize's it's a RADAR equiped Chapy bearing down on them and go full "Oh crapI'm Going To Die!" mode and do their damdest to kill you first.  Oh yes, take Hydro instead of the AA consumable  (much easier to dodge torps when you see them coming from further out.), and bring along a buddy in and Atlanta to keep the carrier air off you.

*shakes head* sure, you might be able to figure out a counter for this  But it still going to be much much more difficult for you then for the Chapy!  DId we mention the chapy is a fairly fast ship?  USfficently fast that the only way your going to run away fast nuff to hide is to drive in a strait line, for if you bob, and weave it's going to slow you down and the chappy will right on your tail.

I've all ready tested this on the PTS and got exactly the result I thought I would.. several dead DD's...

*shrugs* OP? maybe.  Game changer.. oh yes, most certainly.. Concealment build DD's will not be sneaking up without notice on any ship with a commander with this skill unless said ship is seriously distracted by a target much much closer then said DD is., and there is no counter, no way to NOT be detected by it.

Of course they'll be plenty of folks screaming hack when all it is, is they have been caught out by a perfectly viable, legit c ship and commander configuration.

The reason to use the Chapy is it is one of the stealthiest cruisers in the game, AND has Radar...

And of course, the chappy that plays possum and acts like the sneaky dd has not been noticed.. well..  frankly DD drivers are not going to be happy with the effects of this commander skill at all as player learn to take advantage of it.   I'm all ready working on alternatives to DD concealment builds.  If they are going to be so easily defeated then DD drivers are going to have to find another way to be sneaky and effective... And I don't think the devs are going to get the result they want from this commander skill, what ever it is.  ( I suspect to force player to act as a team

..   in random battles.. yea, good luck with that. might work, Someday. Still lots of camping BB's behind islands that don't push..and crippling the ability of DD's to sneak up on the campers is not conducive to changing THAT meta.

• Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Please stop posting personal stats as if it some sort of qualification or verification of a pointless argument.

• Cool 1

Members
1,726 posts
14,932 battles

Yea.....no. Do you know how bad DD drivers kill good DD drivers? Blind luck, or unexpected flanks.

Looks like their odds just got a whole lot worse.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
11,780 battles

So the OP basing his opinion on RFP by 2 facts : he played many battles on pre-nerfed Shima and stopped playing for almost year...hmmm... interesting

IJN Nerf went live on April 27th.

That is 267 days ago.

Here are my shima solo stats from 253 days ago. (so missing two weeks of post nerf play)

THzXoBm.jpg

So yes, I played very extensively post-nerf. In fact, my win rate went up after the nerf, but mostly because I was filled with rage.

I stopped playing about 3 weeks after the nerf, essentially voting with my wallet. I returned out of boredorm over the Christmas break and liked their events. I proceeded to grind up the new (to me) IJN DD line and the German DD line.

Edited by Lensar

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
11,780 battles

RFP is a Request for Proposal. It's a document that a government agency sends out when it seeks bids from private industry for a project. :D

Yes, I know. That's why it's funny. I'm mocking all the omgwtfRPF!11 posts.

Take one Chapayev  (note Has Radar) ((Any RADAR equipped cruiser will do but Chappy is best))

Add Concealment Module, Spec commander with Concealment expert and of course RPF other skills as per your personal preference for cruisers..

Enter match, cruise around for a little, avoid combat at first wait and give time for sneaky DD's to move off to flanks.. move to one flank or another and note RPF indicator..  no ship that direction?.. but RPF says some thing there?  Crank it up to full speed and zero in nose on.. when you get  the Spotted indicator count 5 seconds, no more, and activate RADAR.. shoot now revealed DD and sink them... Rinse repeat as needed.  (you may have to dodge some torps)...But odds are good you may not even need to pop RADAR as the DD realize's it's a RADAR equiped Chapy bearing down on them and go full "Oh crapI'm Going To Die!" mode and do their damdest to kill you first.  Oh yes, take Hydro instead of the AA consumable  (much easier to dodge torps when you see them coming from further out.), and bring along a buddy in and Atlanta to keep the carrier air off you.

First off,  radar is stupid. It should be removed from the game, or smoke should prevent you from being targeted. (you can still show up on the minimap) It's a horrible mechanic that has no counter and isn't fun, only frustrating.

But that aside, I don't see any problem with this. A CA is specifically out hunting for DDs. I think that's good. And it's not like the DD has no chance. Hell, I bet it leads to alot of fun encounters. It's not like the DD can't see the Chap coming.

Please stop posting personal stats as if it some sort of qualification or verification of a pointless argument.

All it proves is I'm not some BB main seeking to zoom in and fire at my targets without fear of being torped. DD players are over reacting about RPF.

Yea.....no. Do you know how bad DD drivers kill good DD drivers? Blind luck, or unexpected flanks.

Yes, this is a nerf to bad DD players and buff for bad CA/BB players. It's good for DD players since it'll scare away all the pretenders and result in less DDs in matches.

OP, what do you have against the Irish?

Nothing. I think we farm the best potatoes, bar none.

Edited by Lensar

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,145 battles

As a BB main I have no desire to grab RPF on ANYTHING but maybe my atlanta that I never take into randoms anyways. For once I agree with ya lensar on something involving DDs. 

• Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

It's not an overreaction, it simply is what it is.

WG changed the game significantly, people are upset. That's all that it is. 

Justify it, rationalize it, whatever and it is still yet another nerf to concealment play.

• Cool 1

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

Exactly. So much of the knife fight or DD on DD action depends on the opening 'contact' skirmish. RPF will tip the other Captains hand somewhat and allow just enough info to actually matter to a DD. 

I'm not for or against it, just wondering why we needed it in the first place. The skill just seems to be a solution looking for a problem from my perspective.

Members
555 posts
11,596 battles

I totally agree with slak

4KJtezP.jpg

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Nothing. I think we farm the best potatoes, bar none.

We huh?

Lemme guess, you found it on Ancestry? Have a sliver of green or something. lol

EDIT:

"As someone who is 1/16th Irish or something, I'm mildly offended by this maybe."

And ya, I hear ya. I'm a bit more than that. U.S. born, but family, generationally speaking, is still fresh.

Edited by BURN_Miner

Sign in to follow this