Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Palladia

Carrier hitpoints

10 comments in this topic

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

So I realized that people look at carrier hitpoints wrong.  They look at the hitpoints of the ship,  right?  That isn't how you measure the hitpoints of a carrier.  Its in planes.  A carrier out of planes is the exact same as a ship out of hitpoints.  He's done.  He's out of the fight and unable to influence anything aside from maybe some lucky secondaries.  So a carrier doesn't 'safely sit away from combat',  he's just as actively in the fight as everyone else.  How would other classes feel if every time they attacked they had a chance to lose a certain percentage of their health due to an auto-system dependent on rng?

• Cool 1

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

Carriers can still run. They can still cap. They can, yes, still get kills. A carrier w/o planes can still win a game. A ship w/o HP cannot.

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,320 battles

I always use my ship as a distractifying force, when out of planes. If the enemy is dumb enough to focus me down, that's anywhere from 30-180 seconds of them wasting shells and not damaging my surface combatants.

[-FINS]
Members
363 posts
16,860 battles

I honestly think I am missing the point here.    Is this an issue?  Do people complain about CV's being full HP?  Is it an issue if a CV is or isn't at full HP?

I can't recall a game where I was a CV and one of the last one's alive and someone complaining about me being full HP.  Maybe the idea, that the CV's usefulness isn't as tightly tied to the HP unlike every other class, is common sense to me.

That said, your HP is important.  I would rather have a full HP CV with no planes than a 1 HP CV with no planes.  CV's create the largest point swing when they die.  HP is the same for really all ships.  Your planes are like your turrets, not your HP.  If you lose all of your turrets and torpedoes in the Ognevoi, you can still support your team through capping, spotting and smoking.  Same for the CV.  With no more planes you can still cap and spot BB's.  You can kite ships and provide AA.  

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

If only a CV out of planes resulted in the 110 point swing that a dead carrier counted for...

Touche.  It isn't a perfect 1 for 1.  

Carriers can still run. They can still cap. They can, yes, still get kills. A carrier w/o planes can still win a game. A ship w/o HP cannot.

Oh absolutely.  But that relies on the enemy not knowing where they are or getting a lucky hit with a secondary.  Not unheard of,  I found out secondaries can detonate that way.  But the impact in the end is extremely minor in the scheme of things.  The likelihood of a carrier getting a kill with either secondaries or ramming is very small.  They are essentially out of the battle when they run out of planes.

Rhino is right about that that,  though.  The points didn't even occur to me.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Nah, you can sink the last ship on the enemy team due to dots when you're already dead.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

Very rarely. I'd like to see some statistics for carriers that manage to perform game-winning kills when they're out of planes.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,023 posts
5,027 battles

I honestly think I am missing the point here.    Is this an issue?  Do people complain about CV's being full HP?  Is it an issue if a CV is or isn't at full HP?

I can't recall a game where I was a CV and one of the last one's alive and someone complaining about me being full HP.  Maybe the idea, that the CV's usefulness isn't as tightly tied to the HP unlike every other class, is common sense to me.

The answer is yes, but only on the forums.

Sign in to follow this