Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Vaidency

So why was the Shinonome chosen as a premium, anyway?

18 comments in this topic

Members
1,480 posts
8,824 battles

When the Honorable Service campaign was added to the game I was happy to have a long-term project to work at, and have been slowly accumulating pins ever since.  I like the campaigns and I love earning ships through missions, so I'll eventually finish this one, but I'm really confused as to why the reward is the Shinonome.

I knew it was a Fubuki, but I didn't remember anything noteworthy about it.  I jokingly thought in my head, "It can't possibly be the one that was just blown up and sunk by a Dutch plane right at the beginning of the war, can it?"  Well, tonight I finally got around to looking it up...and it is.

Didn't even last two full weeks into the war.  Entire operational history consists of covering Japanese landings in Malaysia and then the following:

As she steamed independently off Lutong in the early hours of 17 December, SHINONOME was suddenly rent by a thunderous explosion. When the smoke cleared the destroyer had disappeared beneath the surface, and taken Lieutenant Commander Sasegawa and every last man of his crew with her. Dutch flying-boat X-32 of GVT-7 had struck at the unwary destroyer from out of cloud-cover, managing two direct bomb hits and a near miss out of five dropped. These appeared to detonate SHINONOME's aft magazine, severing the stern and sinking the ship in just a few minutes. Strangely, this air attack seems to have gone unseen by any Japanese on other vessels in the area, the closest being about a mile away: Commander Ogawa could only report that SHINONOME had either hit a mine or suffered an induced explosion. Only recent in- depth research by Dutch naval historian Jan Visser has revealed the above details. Desdiv 12 had suffered the first Fubuki-class destroyer loss of the war.

So why this specific ship as a premium?  There were Fubuki class destroyers involved in nearly every major naval battle of the Pacific War.  Why choose as a premium the one that got detonated by a lucky Dutch airstrike in the second week?  It isn't even a war memorial like the Arizona because the wreck has never been found.  Am I missing something here?

By the way, the quoted text is from here if you want to read more about the eventful history of IJN DesDiv 12:  http://www.combinedfleet.com/desdiv12.htm

Edited by Vaidency

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,075 posts
30,855 battles

There are a lot of ships that didn't do anything in the war and are ingame.  There are a lot of ships in WoWS that were outright performance failures, and are absolutely amazing in the game.  Shinondoemoeneone is the least offending ship of them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
1,480 posts
8,824 battles

There are a lot of ships that didn't do anything in the war and are ingame.  There are a lot of ships in WoWS that were outright performance failures, and are absolutely amazing in the game.  Shinondoemoeneone is the least offending ship.

Well sure.  A lot of ships are in the game because their class represented a logical progression for the tech tree.  But Shinonome was chosen specifically from the 18 members of the Fubuki class to be a premium.  Is there another premium in the game with a history as boring as getting randomly nuked by a lucky airstrike and then lost forever?

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Likely because it was simply the first Campaign with a ship-based reward that they were testing out, as well as ensuring that it's not some extremely iconic ship that is locked behind a grind wall.  Granted, we did later get a nice iconic ship as a possible freebie via the Winter Campaigns, but she was also available in the shop.

The other part is that it's a throwaway ship; one that WG likely feels is not worth selling, but is still sufficiently worth grinding for because it's decent as a trainer and competitive enough to hold its own.

Members
5,450 posts
21,017 battles

I've had some good games with the Shinonome. She really needs Concealment expert but you can almost player her like a Kami R with the torp range and reload speed. I wish WG would buff her guns reload rate as getting into a self defense gun fight with almost any other destroyer from T5 to T7 is suicide. Also Expert Marksman might be a really good skill as just touching the rudder will throw off her guns which is very frustrating. I personally believe that a destroys turrets should rotate at least as fast as the ship can turn.  

Members
1,480 posts
8,824 battles

Not a premium, but the Yamato did basically nothing but get sunk and it's absolutely amazing ingame.

Yamato was the largest battleship ever built, making it the logical basis for tier 10 BB's and an obvious inclusion in the tech tree.  It also actually fought in a famous surface battle, even if it lost.  It had a unique configuration that distinguished it from its sister ship.  It's famous and recognizable.

Shinomome has none of these features.  It's almost as if WG deliberately went out of their way to pick an extremely obscure and boring ship.  I mean, they could have just slapped the number 5 on it instead of 6 and suddenly it's the Murakumo, which is not exactly a legendary ship either but at least fought in the Battle of Sunda Strait and a surface action against USN DD's near Guadalcanal before being lost in an air raid in the aftermath of the Battle of Cape Esperance.  That's at least an obscure ship with some interesting history.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

Because it's free, and no one would pay for that particular ship.

Some people group you together with Rounne. Would you like to comment?

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

Not a premium, but the Yamato did basically nothing but get sunk and it's absolutely amazing ingame.

Yamato still does nothing if there are 2 tier 10 CVs in the match. 

CV, as someone else in another post said, are too influential in the right hands.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,513 battles

Yamato still does nothing if there are 2 tier 10 CVs in the match. 

How often does that happen though?

According to two week stats on the NA server, the Yamato has 38,903 battles (Montana 31,493, GK 21,060). Meanwhile the Hakuryu and Midway have combined for a total of 5,844 battles.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
11,692 battles

How often does that happen though?

According to two week stats on the NA server, the Yamato has 38,903 battles (Montana 31,493, GK 21,060). Meanwhile the Hakuryu and Midway have combined for a total of 5,844 battles.

Well....

If high tier economy gets buffed significantly, a lot. But currently, once every 20 games maybe? During peak times, like 15k concurrent players or above peak. Most people play tier 6-9. 

Flash backs to when the game first came out... oh my god... sky cancer everywhere.

Edited by NeutralState

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,054 posts
8,279 battles

Because it's free, and no one would pay for that particular ship.

What r u smokin, I would. :P

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Does it have something close to what it was at the beginning of the war, or is it an amalgamation of early Fubuki refits? I mean, being sunk practically at the beginning sort of writes off any early refits the class may have enjoyed.

According to a quick wiki search, aside from Shinonome and Sagiri (of the Ayanami subclass) the earliest losses of Fubukis happened at Guadalcanal. I don't know if members of the class had any changes within that time period.

That's my best guess, anyways.

Sign in to follow this