Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mohawkdriver

The Gaede: A Re-Rant

14 comments in this topic

Members
4,535 posts
16,600 battles

Dear Wargaming,

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that you could not have messed up the Gaede (and apparently subsequent tiers in the KM DD line) more than if you had force-bred a Myogi with a Kohlberg.  The resultant offspring is an abject failure, as you have produced an ultra-light Cruiser with poor EVERYTHING.  Even with 8K torps, it is extremely difficult to launch without being spotted, and as soon as that happens, any HE that scores a hit from the enemy sets this tinderbox on fire, damages the engine, and turns you into a flaming target.

Rudder upgrades do nothing, as this ship turns with the responsiveness of a Tier II battleship, and the guns; well, for 150 mm cannon, their dismal performance requires no further comment.

Try to play it like a CL and you quickly get decimated by other CL's and BB's.  For the time being, I only play it in Co-op just so I can see where the niche for this disgrace lies.  

For those of you who have done even marginally better in this floating, gasoline-soaked disgrace, my hat is off to you as you have figured it out.  

As for future tiers in this line, I see no reason to continue until Wargaming fixes this mess, which they should have done with the new update, but they decided to fix other things that aren't broken, as usual.

Rant over.

Have a nice day, fellow Captains.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I thought Gaede is performing really well... overall stats wise. It's been over a month since the release and it's still the best non-premium DD at t6. Rant fail? :bajan:

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

I didn't use the 150s in Gaede, but I'm using them in Z-23 and it's changed my perception of the ship. Z-23 is the first German DD I've enjoyed and I partially credit the 150mm guns. 

I'm finally starting to click with German DDs with the Z-23. Makes me wonder if I'd do better now if I played the Gaede or Maass again. But not T-22; I'm willing to admit the issue with Gaede or Maass might have been me adapting to the line, but T-22 is just cancer. 

Members
4,535 posts
16,600 battles

I couldn't survive in it until I learned to use the 150's properly. Now its fine. As fine as a DD can be, these days.

How do you use the 150's 'properly'?

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I really like Gaede, it is solid enough and I kept it after I got Maass. The only problem I have with it (and Maass) is that it seems to lack the damage resistance of other DDs.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Dear Wargaming,

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that you could not have messed up the Gaede (and apparently subsequent tiers in the KM DD line) more than if you had force-bred a Myogi with a Kohlberg.  The resultant offspring is an abject failure, as you have produced an ultra-light Cruiser with poor EVERYTHING.  Even with 8K torps, it is extremely difficult to launch without being spotted, and as soon as that happens, any HE that scores a hit from the enemy sets this tinderbox on fire, damages the engine, and turns you into a flaming target.

Rudder upgrades do nothing, as this ship turns with the responsiveness of a Tier II battleship, and the guns; well, for 150 mm cannon, their dismal performance requires no further comment.

Try to play it like a CL and you quickly get decimated by other CL's and BB's.  For the time being, I only play it in Co-op just so I can see where the niche for this disgrace lies.  

For those of you who have done even marginally better in this floating, gasoline-soaked disgrace, my hat is off to you as you have figured it out.  

As for future tiers in this line, I see no reason to continue until Wargaming fixes this mess, which they should have done with the new update, but they decided to fix other things that aren't broken, as usual.

Rant over.

Have a nice day, fellow Captains.

Your first problem is even being concerned with stealth. I am always concerned about being hit by incoming fire when my finger twitches upon gazing dreamingly at a potential target.... 

Members
4,535 posts
16,600 battles

I thought Gaede is performing really well... overall stats wise. It's been over a month since the release and it's still the best non-premium DD at t6. Rant fail? :bajan:

Do you have a Gaede?

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

geser98, on 18 January 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

Do you have a Gaede?

Stats are a valid source of evidence for deciding whether a ship is good or not. He doesn't need to have a Gaede; data > anecdote. 

Yes, people who drive the Gaede know her better than people who don't, but you posted a rant about Gaede being terrible with no evidence other than your own inability to play her. She's not a great ship; I prefer Farragut, Hatsuharu, and even Shinonome to her. But she's not as terrible as you make her out to be, and the stats show plenty of players are making her work reasonably well.

Members
4,535 posts
16,600 battles

Stats are a valid source of evidence for deciding whether a ship is good or not. He doesn't need to have a Gaede; data > anecdote. 

Yes, people who drive the Gaede know her better than people who don't, but you posted a rant about Gaede being terrible with no evidence other than your own inability to play her. She's not a great ship; I prefer Farragut, Hatsuharu, and even Shinonome to her. But she's not as terrible as you make her out to be, and the stats show plenty of players are making her work reasonably well.

No one asked you, and my question was not anecdotal; it was an honest attempt to get him to tell me why HE thinks the ship is decent besides looking at stats, when he decided to accuse me of a fail rant.  I've had people try to tell everyone that the Budyonny was OP because it had a high win rate--three weeks into release of the Russian CL line.  Statistics over a short period of time mean absolutely nothing.  Maybe the people playing it are better, luckier, or got good RNG.  I don't know.  All I did was post an opinion I had on the ship and right on cue, I get flamed by people who don't even have the ship, and others who jump in just because.

But you have a nice day, now, sport.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,487 battles

No one asked you, and my question was not anecdotal; it was an honest attempt to get him to tell me why HE thinks the ship is decent besides looking at stats, when he decided to accuse me of a fail rant.  I've had people try to tell everyone that the Budyonny was OP because it had a high win rate--three weeks into release of the Russian CL line.  Statistics over a short period of time mean absolutely nothing.  Maybe the people playing it are better, luckier, or got good RNG.  I don't know.  All I did was post an opinion I had on the ship and right on cue, I get flamed by people who don't even have the ship, and others who jump in just because.

But you have a nice day, now, sport.

Ok, you want to hear from someone who played through the Gaede and has really good opinions of her? Here you go.

150mm guns hit (relatively) hard compared to all other DDs. Great trajectories as well and is easy to hit targets at max range. It's also easy to avoid return fire at this range making it possible to engage some cruisers. You can also keep enemy DDs just out of their reach as you easily avoid their shells while you accurately pummel them with 150mm shells. Lastly, you can stealth torp unwary BBs. Add the skill Survival Expert and now you have a DD with tons of health and is super hard to kill unless you **** up.

Edited by Peregrinas
  • Cool 1

Members
4,535 posts
16,600 battles

Ok, you want to hear from someone who played through the Gaede and has really good opinions of her? Here you go.

150mm guns hit (relatively) hard compared to all other DDs. Great trajectories as well and is easy to hit targets at max range. It's also easy to avoid return fire at this range making it possible to engage some cruisers. You can also keep enemy DDs just out of their reach as you easily avoid their shells while you accurately pummel them with 150mm shells. Lastly, you can stealth torp unwary BBs. Add the skill Survival Expert and now you have a DD with tons of health and is super hard to kill unless you **** up.

Thank you very much.  Very helpful information, and I appreciate it.

Sign in to follow this