Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Happy_Thoughts

APHE on Akizuki

23 comments in this topic

[CONQR]
Beta Testers
895 posts
13,174 battles

Pros: You can reliable fight dds hitting any part of their ship to do damage vs. on superstructure only

You do alpha damage on HE shells for all ships, vs. only on superstructures of lower tier bbs and cruisers and lower tier destroyers

Cons: You lose 3% fire chance

You lose access to RPF and Manual AA granted you take CE and AFT to maximize your stealth firing buffer and DE to alleviate the APHE downside

Thoughts?

Edited by Kancollewuzhere

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

Manual AA on Aki?  you're really even considering that ?

To me. the true benefit of the Aki HE is it's RoF and ability to start fires, once 2 fires are on target, you go for AP most of the time.  Taking Inertial fuse will only really render HE truly pointless on most ships not a DD.  I guess if you consider going Inertial fuse you need to back it up with Demolition expert to render the -3 null and void.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

7.2 km of 202 AA dps

It's significant for anything below tier 9.

how often do you run into a CV?   even so, you play CVs a lot, how great is that going to be against a Hak or Midway squadrons, vs other skills that will aid you in killing off other DD's that will be hunting you more often?  

I could see if you had DF along with Manual AA.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

What I would do is take both IFHE AND DE, so you only lose 1% fire chance. And if the rumours saying that non-penetrations only have half the fire chance is true, you'll actually set more fires than before. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Solo: IFHE+AFT+CE+BFT

Division: IFHE+AFT+DE+BFT

AA Division: IFHE+AFT+MFCAA+BFT

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

What I would do is take both IFHE AND DE, so you only lose 1% fire chance. And if the rumours saying that non-penetrations only have half the fire chance is true, you'll actually set more fires than before. 

There has been a thread last week. Someone tested it in a training room. It doesn't seem like non-penetrations actually do halve the chance of starting fires. In that case the possible huge advantage of the APHE is lost.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

There has been a thread last week. Someone tested it in a training room. It doesn't seem like non-penetrations actually do halve the chance of starting fires. In that case the possible huge advantage of the APHE is lost.

I tried this too.  By recording the number of HE hits as well as the number of fires started on a spreadsheet after each game, With a 9% chance of fire from flags and skills on an Akizuki, I was averaging a 4.5% fire chance over 30ish games when using HE.  When running without DE, the numbers appeared to have dropped to 4%.  

Over 30 games, that's at least 4k HE hits.  Add in the extra games and I think we have a large enough sample size to take a guess.

That said, neither setup gave me a number close to the 9% theoretical.

Edited by Misniso

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

Overall I like it. Your HE now does damage against equal and higher tier destroyers (huzzah) and larger ships no longer laugh at your previously deadly-as-pillows with a smidgen of napalm in them.

Throw in DE and you now have consistent HE damage and a respectable fire chance. I think it will be better than the current all-out-burning Akizuki build.

As for her AP, it's still useful - but the situations where you actually get to shoot at broadside with it are pretty sparse. HE is mainly your ammo of choice fore fires on angled (of any degree) targets. The new build will boost that performance of the Akizuki.

Members
842 posts
9,792 battles

If the alpha were higher, maybe. But I think fires outweigh whatever additional HE damage you can get. 5% base fire chance is pathetic at Tier 10.

I tried this too.  With a 9% chance of fire from flags and skills, I was averaging a 4.5% fire chance over 30ish games when using HE.  When running without DE, the numbers appeared to have dropped to 4%.  

That said, neither setup gave me a number close to the 9% theoretical.

Fire coefficients. Your fire chance gets cut in half against T10s.

Members
1,247 posts
6,540 battles

Non-penetrations have the same fire chance as penetration. Here's a post by the man, Sub_Octavian.

Can you confirm that HE fire chance is not affected by successful penetration or shatter? During the last week there have been quite a few threads trying to analyze the effect of new IFHE skill, and some of them assume that shattered HE shells will have its fire chance reduced to 40% of original fire chance. I haven't seen this on official wiki though so I think it's not true, but if it's true then you need to update it on wiki asap as it's pretty important.

That's the spirit. Oh wait...mechanics questions! shivers

Fire chance: Yes I can. Please let me copy-paste what I posted earlier:

When determining fire chance these things matter:

1. Area of hit - because there are few areas that can be set on fire. So you can't have two fires on bow at the same time.
  2. Shell fire chance (with perk and flag bonuses added).
  3. Ship fire protection value (with perk and mod. bonuses multiplied).

Final chance is multuplification of 2 and 3.

Example:

Yamato bow is hit by a HE shell. It is not on fire.

HE shell fire chance is 7%. There's DE (+3%) skill, so final value is 7%+3% = 10%.

Yamato fire protection is 0.5 (it actually can be that good on T10, but it is much lower on low tiers). There's Fire Prevention skill (-7%) , so final fire protection is 0.5 x 0.93 = 0,465.

10% x 0,465 is 4,65% of fire chance on this hit.

Ugh...I hope I managed to clarify this.

Source

EDIT: added quote I'm answering to.

Edited by garfield001

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

whats RPF again?:amazed:

Radio Position Finding, an upcoming 0.6.0 passive skill that's generating a lot of controversy.
Edited by Misniso

Members
1,247 posts
6,540 battles

whats RPF again?:amazed:

RPF (or Radio Location as the name has been changed) is a new 4 point skill that shows the general location of the nearest enemy ship. It also warns that player that he's being tracked.

Patch note description:

After this Skill is mastered, the player will see an indicator on the battle HUD pointing in the approximate direction of the nearest (unspotted) enemy ship. The enemy player will be alerted that a bearing was taken on their ship.
Will not work if a player is playing on an aircraft carrier.
Will not work during Commander retraining.
The fact that a bearing was taken on their ship will be communicated to the enemy player using the "LOCATED" indicator, similarly to the "DETECTED" indicator (displayed when the player's ship was detected by an enemy ship, aircraft or with the use of an active consumable by a player on the enemy team).

Patch notes

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Non-penetrations have the same fire chance as penetration. Here's a post by the man, Sub_Octavian.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I was just confused, because Aerrooon was talking about it in his Akizuki video. 

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,740 battles

Radio Position Finding, an upcoming 0.6.0 passive skill that's generating a lot of controversy.

ah got it! Yeah I don't like the looks of that one either! Specially since I just got my Fletcher over Christmas.:amazed:

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Solo: IFHE+AFT+CE+BFT

Division: IFHE+AFT+DE+BFT

AA Division: IFHE+AFT+MFCAA+BFT

Calling High Explosive Armor Piercing would make more sense. IFHE... Sound silly imo lol

Just about anyone coming from WoT, or even any other war game would know what HEAP is anyway.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

ah got it! Yeah I don't like the looks of that one either! Specially since I just got my Fletcher over Christmas.:amazed:

There are ways around it...

If a warning sign pops up and no one on your team died recently, proceed with caution, especially if you don't see another ship.

If you're being hunted, hide behind a friendly ship

In short, you're going to be chased a lot.  But if you can figure out the ship that's holding the skill, you can passively keep him out of the fight / bring him into an ambush.

Can't say it'll be very fun trying to stay invisible with this skill, but I also think that it is very useful for other things.  One of which is dispelling the figurative fog of war when I try to cap at the start.  If it's telling me that there's an invisible enemy up ahead, I know where to drop a spread of torps and I know that it's probably time to run.

Edited by Misniso

[SCCC]
Members
715 posts
22,098 battles

Manual AA on Aki?  you're really even considering that ?

To me. the true benefit of the Aki HE is it's RoF and ability to start fires, once 2 fires are on target, you go for AP most of the time.  Taking Inertial fuse will only really render HE truly pointless on most ships not a DD.  I guess if you consider going Inertial fuse you need to back it up with Demolition expert to render the -3 null and void.

Done it works like a mini iowa against a T6 CV and T7 is enough to blow out a USN fighter squad in about 30 seconds. GL if its anything above T9 though.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Calling High Explosive Armor Piercing would make more sense. IFHE... Sound silly imo lol

Just about anyone coming from WoT, or even any other war game would know what HEAP is anyway.

well don't look at me.

WG came up with those names.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

Just wondering if everyone also noticed this change for Akizuki: 

Changed armour penetration for Akizuki high explosive shells from 19 mm to 17 mm.

So, in essence, Akizuki captains WILL HAVE TO GET Inertial Fuse skill in order to be able to deal damage even to lower-tier DDs with HE.

Edited by geser98

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Changed armour penetration for Akizuki high explosive shells from 19 mm to 17 mm.

So, in essence, Akizuki captains WILL HAVE TO GET Inertial Fuse skill in order to be able to deal damage even to lower-tier DDs with HE.

no, because T6/7 DDs only feature 16mm of hull armor and 13mm - 16mm of deck armor.

The thickest armor they have is 20mm, which is the armor on Sims's turrets.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

It makes no difference, because 19mm of penetration means that you cannot penetrate 19mm armour. Since there is no armour thicker than 16mm but thinner than 19mm, this is a purely technical change. 

Sign in to follow this