Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
twitch133

Strategy help

16 comments in this topic

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

I need some help here guys. I have posted a few threads already trying to see what I am doing wrong. It does not seem to matter, what actions I take, that I believe to be oriented to achieving the win. I just is not happening how often I want it to.

Even though all of my other personal stats are steadily climbing. I feel completely helpless right now to control my win rating the way I want to. It has me to the point I am about ready to leave this game for other places where I know I can. But I do not want to walk away feeling like a failure. 

Another case study. This round in my Fletcher, again. (Don't ask, its my favorite boat by far.) We had a strong hold on the beginning of the game. I was using my smoke primarily for teammates, while trying to provide constant vision. Trying to keep the reds corralled with torpedoes. But in the end it was not enough. I racked up a flag cap, three defends, 120k damage and 2 kills. It still was not enough. My team just fell around me, even with the support. I need to know what else I could have done to win this, and how I could have pulled it off. I know that even one individual can have a huge impact on the game, there are plenty of players in the game with solo win losses above 60%. But I feel so sabotaged right now, and honestly it is ruining my opinion of the game.

Before you go asking if I could think about playing to have fun. Improving myself, accomplishing something, and winning are how I have fun. If I wanted to just mindlessly play the game, with none of those in mind, I would choose something that was not competitive. I have outs for casual gaming like Tomb Raider, or Assassin's Creed. Where I can go get lost in the narrative without worrying about winning or losing.

Replay

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

Can you identify your weaknesses?

That will go a long way toward focus.  You could have other "expert players" (not me) watch you play and give tips.  Really though, you are doing awesome... i mean... you can't carry a team by yourself.

[BGA]
Alpha Tester
4,043 posts
32,941 battles

I am on the exact same page. A few weeks ago I got into an amazing run of good teams. Suddenly I'm on a huge downward slide. I'm not sure why. My overall damage has gone up but my survivability and win rate have dropped. Most of my games are at least average and I get a few that are stellar but it's just not enough.

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

Can you identify your weaknesses?

That will go a long way toward focus.  You could have other "expert players" (not me) watch you play and give tips.  Really though, you are doing awesome... i mean... you can't carry a team by yourself.

I have been desperately trying to figure out my weakness and what I am not doing correctly. But I am at a loss right now.

I am on the exact same page. A few weeks ago I got into an amazing run of good teams. Suddenly I'm on a huge downward slide. I'm not sure why. My overall damage has gone up but my survivability and win rate have dropped. Most of my games are at least average and I get a few that are stellar but it's just not enough.

I really do believe that most teams can be carried. Otherwise we would have no players on the server above a 55-60% win loss, this would hold even more so on solo ratings.

But days like today just have me dumbfounded. I got so aggravated, that I went and ground out the last two tasks for the Christmas convoy's in Co-op. I had three heart breaking losses that brought my W/L back down to 50% for the day, and I just could not take it anymore. I felt like I had done everything I could and we still lost. The weird thing is, I have not been playing less aggressively..... more if anything, and my w/l is still yo-yoing. My survivability has gone up almost 7% lately.

Edited by twitch133

[-RTS-]
Beta Testers
226 posts
8,486 battles

I have been desperately trying to figure out my weakness and what I am not doing correctly. But I am at a loss right now.

I really do believe that most teams can be carried. Otherwise we would have no players on the server above a 55-60% win loss, this would hold even more so on solo ratings.

But days like today just have me dumbfounded. I got so aggravated, that I went and ground out the last two tasks for the Christmas convoy's in Co-op. I had three heart breaking losses that brought my W/L back down to 50% for the day, and I just could not take it anymore. I felt like I had done everything I could and we still lost. The weird thing is, I have not been playing less aggressively..... more if anything, and my w/l is still yo-yoing. My survivability has gone up almost 7% lately.

The top WR% of solo player is 69%. The top WR% of a 2-player division is 74%. The top WR% of a 3-player division is 82%. There are clearly WR% leaders. Sadly I am not one of them. So other than saying I am interested to learn about this, I have very little to contribute. :(

Members
396 posts
13,683 battles

vorite boat by far.) We had a strong hold on the beginning of the game. I was using my smoke primarily for teammates, while trying to provide constant vision. Trying to keep the reds corralled with torpedoes. But in the end it was not enough. I racked up a flag cap, three defends, 120k damage and 2 kills. It still was not enough. My team just fell around me, even with the support. I need to know what else I could have done to win this, and how I could have pulled it off. I know that even one individual can have a huge impact on the game, there are plenty of players in the game with solo win losses above 60%. But I feel so sabotaged right now, and honestly it is ruining my opinion of the game.

Before you go asking if I could think about playing to have fun. Improving myself, accomplishing something, and winning are how I have fun. If I wanted to just mindlessly play the game, with none of those in mind, I would choose something that was not competitive. I have outs for casual gaming like Tomb Raider, or Assassin's Creed. Where I can go get lost in the narrativ

I have been spending a little time thinking about this myself. I found myself in this situation last night where I lost 4 in a row playing my Bayern killing 7 and doing (estimated) 70K damage per game. My thinking went a little like this: Maybe I'm good at killing potatoes and need to get good at identifying and then killing the best, or better, red captains. Yet, I'm not sure if this is possible. 

If you believe this line of thought has merit: How to pick your targets if you are presented with several red ships you can shoot at? I usually follow the principle of hit the one presenting broadside and take their guns out of the match. Perhaps the reason I can see their broadside is because they are a potato and would not shoot straight anyway, meanwhile the bow on player is lighting up green potatoes. Maybe focus down the player that shows the most skill... Thoughts?

• Cool 1

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

The top WR% of solo player is 69%. The top WR% of a 2-player division is 74%. The top WR% of a 3-player division is 82%. There are clearly WR% leaders. Sadly I am not one of them. So other than saying I am interested to learn about this, I have very little to contribute. :(

There are ways to improve your stats .. division up or play lots of Co-op you to can have a high win-rate, damage done is a far better indicator of how your doing,

You can only carry a team so far

[-RTS-]
Beta Testers
226 posts
8,486 battles

There are ways to improve your stats .. division up or play lots of Co-op you to can have a high win-rate, damage done is a far better indicator of how your doing,

You can only carry a team so far

Co-op doesn't affect your win rate. division up is cheating. 

Win rate is just a key indicator of how good a player is. Some use average damage, some use kama, I use win rate (single play WR%, not aggregate WR%). But win rate itself isn't my goal. I am interested to getting myself better.

Members
6,885 posts
14,851 battles

Since you are only part of the team - there are 11 other players on your team that play a large part of your win rate and you can't control them.  I disagree that most teams can be carried and I would say about all teams can't be carried by one individual.  Some teams can be carried but it really takes at least 2. 

Divisioning is hardly cheating and makes a lot of sense for those who can division.

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

Since you are only part of the team - there are 11 other players on your team that play a large part of your win rate and you can't control them.  I disagree that most teams can be carried and I would say about all teams can't be carried by one individual.  Some teams can be carried but it really takes at least 2. 

Divisioning is hardly cheating and makes a lot of sense for those who can division.

I am really starting to feel that way. But... the number of skilled players out there, that are pulling a 60%+ win rate seem to prove that wrong. Either that, or they need to start playing the lottery.

I am absolutely astounded by the streakyness of this game, and quite frankly, it is rage inducing. If you are skilled enough, to maintain a 50%, and your skill level is improving, you should almost never see your win rate drop below that, not even on sample sizes as small as 2 or 3 games. If you have a 50% even W/L, and you play two games in one night, statistically, you must win one of them.

4Ypi0m3.jpg

This is absolutely unacceptable. Everything I did is WAY above server and personal averages, but my win rate is far below server and personal averages. I really am surprised my monitor survived the night. It was everything that I could do not to punch it.

Members
6,885 posts
14,851 battles

If you have a 50% even W/L, and you play two games in one night, statistically, you must win one of them.

Not quite - it means over TIME you win 50% of the time but in a 2 game 'test' - no, not necessarily.  Divisioning can help WR for those who division well and that will skew the results.  Unless you are a super unicum player in all aspects of the game and get real lucky - your are very likely going to hover around 50% over time.  I have had horrible WR for a week or but but low and behold - after 2600+ games - 50.88% WR.

Like I said - a lot of things can affect WR and most you can't control.  From RNG rolls to other players, even to when you play most of the time, and MM on top of your skill and divisioning possibilties.  It is the major reason why most people do not like to look purely at WR as an idea of skill.  It is why MM can't use WR to decide how 'skilled' a player is.

Your WR and WTR is far better than a lot of players with a WR after 2400+ games of 54%.  I know a LOT of players would kill for that - myself included.  For me - I see no reason why this upsets you in any way - again - a LOT of players would kill for your stats and most  players will NOT have as good of stats as yours.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Co-op doesn't affect your win rate. division up is cheating. 

Win rate is just a key indicator of how good a player is. Some use average damage, some use kama, I use win rate (single play WR%, not aggregate WR%). But win rate itself isn't my goal. I am interested to getting myself better.

I only play Co-op when testing a new ship and recently the new Campaigns had Co-op play so away I went ... its Bott clubbing in the extreme its hard to see how you could loose,as far as divisioning up .. thats team play something that seems to be lost in a lot of games often resulting in a loss 

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

Not quite - it means over TIME you win 50% of the time but in a 2 game 'test' - no, not necessarily.  Divisioning can help WR for those who division well and that will skew the results.  Unless you are a super unicum player in all aspects of the game and get real lucky - your are very likely going to hover around 50% over time.  I have had horrible WR for a week or but but low and behold - after 2600+ games - 50.88% WR.

Like I said - a lot of things can affect WR and most you can't control.  From RNG rolls to other players, even to when you play most of the time, and MM on top of your skill and divisioning possibilties.  It is the major reason why most people do not like to look purely at WR as an idea of skill.  It is why MM can't use WR to decide how 'skilled' a player is.

Your WR and WTR is far better than a lot of players with a WR after 2400+ games of 54%.  I know a LOT of players would kill for that - myself included.  For me - I see no reason why this upsets you in any way - again - a LOT of players would kill for your stats and most  players will NOT have as good of stats as yours.

Maybe, I am expecting far too much from myslf. My main gaming experience is from the battlefield franchise. In bad company 2, out of almost 2000 games played, I only lost 300. In battlefield 4, my win rate was 80%. I feel like expecting less is admitting failure, and really, because of that experience, I have a hard time accepting 54%, even if it is statistically well above average. When I see other players parading around with 65 and 70% win rates, it makes it hard for me to settle for less.

Maybe I need to step back and reevalute, but that feels like I am giving up without accomplishing my personal goals.

Edited by twitch133

[-RTS-]
Beta Testers
226 posts
8,486 battles

Maybe, I am expecting far too much from myslf. My main gaming experience is from the battlefield franchise. In bad company 2, out of almost 2000 games played, I only lost 300. In battlefield 4, my win rate was 80%. I feel like expecting less is admitting failure, and really, because of that experience, I have a hard time accepting 54%, even if it is statistically well above average. When I see other players parading around with 65 and 70% win rates, it makes it hard for me to settle for less.

Maybe I need to step back and reevalute, but that feels like I am giving up without accomplishing my personal goals.Ho

​Twitch133, I looked into your WR% and I have an interesting finding: your WR%(win rate) is either slightly worse than the average WR% or significantly higher than the average WR%.

I looked into the top solo WR% winners in NA server, I started from community contributors, I found that they are good, really good, the strong ships (Bismarck, Belfast, Kamikaze...) become stronger in his hands, and the weak ships (Baltimore, Warspite) suck less in his hand. His/her WR% improvement is uniformly distributed to all ships he/she plays. Notser is a typical example:

https://na.warships.today/player/1005803644/Notser

However Notser can't even make to the top 100 WR% players. So why there are so many good players? What is their secret sauce? Then I looked at the top 1 WR% player in NA server:

https://na.warships.today/player/1019994607/_darkflame

He almost exclusively play two tier-4 ships: Clemson and Lanley. And I am note surprised that he got very good on it and he also compete with less experienced players. More than half of the top 10 WR% players play much less ships and they focus on the ship they are good at (many are low tier ships). Then I looked into your profile:

https://na.warships.today/player/1015448464/twitch133

Yes your average WR% isn't as good as the top players, Your Kutuzov WR% is a horrible 35%. That's really day-and-night difference to your shiny Atago 67%, note both ships are tier-8 and the WR% is almost doubled. If you only play Lo Yang and Atago, your average WR% would easily make you on the top 50 WR% players. I think this means you are actually a very good player. However it also suggests that your play style is specialized. You may play every DD the same way, regardless one is a torpedo boat the other is a gun boat, or you always go to certain area in a map. That explains why you are super strong on some ships, but so bad on the other ships.

You need to either decide to stay in the ships you are good at, perfect your play and become a specialized player. Or, you would need to apply different strategy on different ships

Hope it helps.

• Cool 1

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

​Twitch133, I looked into your WR% and I have an interesting finding: your WR%(win rate) is either slightly worse than the average WR% or significantly higher than the average WR%.

I looked into the top solo WR% winners in NA server, I started from community contributors, I found that they are good, really good, the strong ships (Bismarck, Belfast, Kamikaze...) become stronger in his hands, and the weak ships (Baltimore, Warspite) suck less in his hand. His/her WR% improvement is uniformly distributed to all ships he/she plays. Notser is a typical example:

https://na.warships.today/player/1005803644/Notser

However Notser can't even make to the top 100 WR% players. So why there are so many good players? What is their secret sauce? Then I looked at the top 1 WR% player in NA server:

https://na.warships.today/player/1019994607/_darkflame

He almost exclusively play two tier-4 ships: Clemson and Lanley. And I am note surprised that he got very good on it and he also compete with less experienced players. More than half of the top 10 WR% players play much less ships and they focus on the ship they are good at (many are low tier ships). Then I looked into your profile:

https://na.warships.today/player/1015448464/twitch133

Yes your average WR% isn't as good as the top players, Your Kutuzov WR% is a horrible 35%. That's really day-and-night difference to your shiny Atago 67%, note both ships are tier-8 and the WR% is almost doubled. If you only play Lo Yang and Atago, your average WR% would easily make you on the top 50 WR% players. I think this means you are actually a very good player. However it also suggests that your play style is specialized. You may play every DD the same way, regardless one is a torpedo boat the other is a gun boat, or you always go to certain area in a map. That explains why you are super strong on some ships, but so bad on the other ships.

You need to either decide to stay in the ships you are good at, perfect your play and become a specialized player. Or, you would need to apply different strategy on different ships

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the input Even.

I do generally try to stick to ships that I am better in, no necessarily because I am better in them and trying to stat pad. But because I find them more enjoyable. I have no idea whether the chicken or the egg came first in this case. As to whether I find them more enjoyable because I do better in them, or I am better in them because I enjoy playing them more.

The only real exception that I can think of to this, surprisingly, Atago. As well as I seem to perform in it, (I am not entirely sure it is not luck) Unless I can get into a hunt for a destroyer, I really find its gameplay find of boring.

Correct me if I am wrong here. But it seems like that ships that I enjoy the most, and the ships that I seem to  perform well in, are generally versatile. They can adapt to multiple situations. Even If I can't. Ships like Lo Yang, Atago, Benson, Fletcher, Scharhorst. Missouri would be the only real flier in that dataset, even with the low sample size. As, just like her sister. While they are strong ships in the right hands, they do not seem to be very versatile.

What I am meaning by versatile, is kind of like a jack of all trades, they can do just about anything, but do not excel at any one task. 

Beta Testers
42 posts
10,762 battles

One think you may think of is it's not you or how hard you try, it's just the team dynamic. What I find most useful is listen to your team (not the crap talkers), devise a plan at the start, help the new guys - some will say 'I'm new at this Yorck', just give him/her some pointers and see if you can help him and be mindful when people need help. 

World of Warships is a real team game compared to WoT, before people hate me for that... one thing people forget is that it can take a BB a whole game to go from one side to the other, so if he is in the wrong spot at the end... the game will be over. That's why I enjoyed Ranked Battles (late starter) as there is a lot communication and tactics. 

Edited by kiwinugget

Sign in to follow this