Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
orangeandblue

USN DD 4th / 5th captain skill question.

12 comments in this topic

Members
475 posts
6,507 battles

USN DD captains skill, currently have 4th skill set as DE. Would I want to go AFT for any reason in addition to my current DE or get the 5th and final point to go with CE? I'm also partially wondering how the new radio positioning finder skill is going to hurt DD play and whether or not having CE is going to do much good if they can track you down with relative ease anyways...  I'll wait and see of course but I'm less than thrilled about the prospects of this new skill and the effect on DD play. I like BB play but I also enjoy DD's as probably my 2nd favorite category to play and have several premium versions.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,312 posts
23,671 battles

Well everything changes tomorrow so......

Members
475 posts
6,507 battles

Yeah guess I should hold off and wait. If they're going to be able to find me anyway then it'll definitely be AFT so I can heave that HE a little further and have slightly better AA.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

unless you are going to keep early hull nicholas,  AFT is wasted on most of   USDD.   most have enough range to stealthfire and you are not hitting much with it anyhow.    I'd go SE if you like to knife fight.  otherwise, DE.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

CE is a must-have on all non-Russian DDs imo. The only one I don't run CE on is Clemson, and that's because I play my Clemson like a Russian DD anyway (run and gun, nevfer take my finger off the firing button on my mouse)

AFT is only of use on Clemson and A-hull Nicholas. The shell arcs on the rest of the line are so bad that you won't hit much at long range, and USN DDs excel most at knife fighting and cap control anyway. 

Edited by poeticmotion

[JADED]
Members
91 posts

US DDs are DD Hunter and in that regard US DDs should profit the most from RPF. You can pick it and abuse the heck out of it by bullying any DD that comes even close to cap zones. However, the problem might be, that so many DDs are scared of this skill that a huuuuge chunk of DD player will switch to CL/CA or BB and simply leave their Destroyers in port, so the skill does not help much.

Other than that, is CE a must-have for any US DD, AFT is a no-go because you will have a very hard time hitting anything further away than 10km that is not a BB at half speed. It requires a lot of experience and practice to reliably hit fast moving targets or ships that drive zigzag at a range of 8km+. SE is the first choice between AFT, DE, SE or anything else. You'll knifefight a lot and you'll be fighting at the frontline that's why every hitpoint counts.

It's not clear yet how RPF will affect the gameplay in general, but one thing is certain, it will change how DDs, especially IJN and US, are played in the future.

Edited by netcup

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

BFT, LS, VIL, SE, and CE are my standard US DD builds past the Clemson (which as stated is really like a Russian DD).

Only exception is Gearing, which benefits greatly from torpedo acceleration.

Edited by CapnCappy

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Don't use AFT on a USN DD, period.  The arcs are so atrocious that it's not worth it even if you get extra AA range.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Demolition Expert is great for that extra damage, the 5% fire chance will let you down ever so often even with that RoF.

Concealment Expert is a must, unless you have no intention of contesting caps at all, which is half the reason you'd want to play an USN DD in the first place

• Cool 1

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,098 battles

AFT is a waste. Your shell arcs are terrible that you only can hit a AFK BB at more then 8km. With the Fletcher class you get a module that gives you 16% more range. Go for CE.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,844 battles

USN DD captains skill, currently have 4th skill set as DE. Would I want to go AFT for any reason

AFT is not a good skill for USN DDs, due to their shell trajectory. It's hard enough to hit things at max range even without AFT. With it you'll only hit BBs that are sitting still or are sailing without any change in direction whatsoever. The AA increase is also hardly worth it as well -- the thought of trolling carriers with AFT+AA module+manual AA+DF (for Sims and Fletcher/Gearing) is fun, but that build is hardly a competitive one.

CE/DE/SE are better options (that includes the redesign skill tree as well, even though DE will get nerfed)

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Demolition Expert is great for that extra damage, the 5% fire chance will let you down ever so often even with that RoF.

Concealment Expert is a must, unless you have no intention of contesting caps at all, which is half 96% of the reason you'd want to play an USN DD in the first place

FTFY. :D

Whole reason I have so many USN DD games was that I was trying to figure out how to improve my win rate and realized if I played more USN DD, I could cap more, and a lot of my losses came from teams that wouldn't cap. USN DDs are amazing at cap control. And it's just FUN to give IJN DDs heart attacks when you ambush them at knife range and pound 127mm cuddles into them at high rates of fire. 

Sign in to follow this