Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Napalm_Stix_2Kids

Des Moines strategy

11 comments in this topic

[UDEAD]
-Members-
417 posts
16,161 battles

IMO, the only reason top hang out near a CV is if it is advancing relatively close to the main group of ships. The introduction of the Defensive Fire consumable to Tier 8 to 10 CVs has minimised start of game CV sniping or even attempting to do so.

I generally will hang out a few kilometers ahead of the BBs with my DM so that I can turn back and pop DF if a strike is coming toward my position. Otherwise I like to stay quiet until alot of the ships on the map are revealed and then just start spamming shells when there are other defined points of focus (usually BBs, but occasionally DDs or a YOLO CA/CL) taking fire and drawing attention away from me. I will regularly do in excess of 120k damage now that I have got the hang of DM play.

Hope this helps. DM is a great ship.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

You don't have the range to hang with a CV, and your immense capability for damage would be wasted.  Instead, fight at medium range, using terrain to protect yourself from incoming fire.  Your arcs can lob up and over many islands. Use that.  Against bow on ships and all DDs, fire HE.  Against broadside cruisers and BBs, load your absolutely BALLER USN AP, and laugh as you start knocking off huge chunks of health, every 6 seconds.

As with any cruiser, it's important to play conservatively at first, so that you can live to wreck in the late game.  To this end, try to pick off isolated players whenever possible.  

Members
75 posts
4,144 battles

Thanks for the tips y'all, I only asked because my second game in the DM our CV got annhilated by the enemy CV right off the bat. And yeah I'm loving the rate of fire, burned a Yamato and a Montana nearly half way down each my first match and my third I got 3 cits in one salvo on an Iowa... this ship is insane.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

One thing I'd like to note...  The pricey premium camo is, well.. pricey.  But if you really enjoy DesMoines, it's worth shelling out for it.  Tier X is so much more enjoyable if you're not stressing about losing credits.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

It's pricey, but totally worth it. DM is ace at dealing with DDs and cruisers, as well as contesting caps. Due to this, she's quite good at scoring base XP. Excellent ship for farming XP.

[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,748 battles
On 1/17/2017 at 2:08 PM, Napalm_Stix_2Kids said:

So I just got the Des Moines, loving it so far. For AA cover, would y'all recommend hanging back near the friendly CV or buddying up with a BB?

As a fellow SGT of Marines, hang back? I find a good choke point with solid cover and good lines of fire, then make them try and dislodge me and send them back to port. Just be careful to not get flanked. Semper Fi, And I join you in remembering always all our fallen. LCPL Jimmy Leland Crouch KIA 26 SEP 65 Quang Tin.

Edited by Seamus_44

[O7]
Members
206 posts
9,582 battles

Get penetrated by every bb with 16+ inch guns - aside from that. Find islands, or make sure you aren't the closest guy spotted, try to operate within 17km of people, and exploit flanking opportunities. Cause you can get kill people very quickly

[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,748 battles
On 1/17/2017 at 9:45 PM, DerKrampus said:

One thing I'd like to note...  The pricey premium camo is, well.. pricey.  But if you really enjoy DesMoines, it's worth shelling out for it.  Tier X is so much more enjoyable if you're not stressing about losing credits.

On target. The premium camo not only turns an upper tier ship into a credit farmer, it speeds up captain skills and helps support the game. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

I'm almost positive that I've never lost credits in the Des Moines with premium camo.  It's a very effective (and fun) credit farmer with the camo.

There is something very American about a cruiser that will win a [edited] kicking contest with anything else in the game inside 6km.  

Sign in to follow this