Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DirtyDiggler

upcoming patch making the game less skill based?

23 comments in this topic

Members
236 posts
2,361 battles

I ask this not solely based on the RPF but also priority target which is a 1 pt skill.

Why did they add a skill that lets you know how many people are targeting you?

This seems like a skill to help people who have no awareness.....

Seems to me the game is becoming far less about skill

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,834 posts

Its not going to change much.

The only change RPF will do is hurt the DD players that go off on their own away from any type of support.

• Cool 3

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

You're probably right, and as long as complaints about bad players remains one of the biggest issues, it'll likely continue.

Players complain that so many teammates are lacking in skill, what else can WG do about it?

Edited by Skpstr

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,334 posts
23,700 battles

Not less skill based just different skill based. Perhaps even more skill based.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Priority Target can tell you instantly what even the smartest captains would take a few seconds to deduce.  With that skill, a smart player can mate the information with data from the minimap and/or just looking around.  From that, he can determine from what sides he doesn't have to worry about incoming gunfire from, and position himself accordingly.  Dumb players still won't know what to make of the information about how many ships are shooting at them.  I wouldn't say that skill dumbs down the game at all, if anything it gives smart captains another tool to use.  

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

Priority Target can tell you instantly what even the smartest captains would take a few seconds to deduce.  With that skill, a smart player can mate the information with data from the minimap and/or just looking around.  From that, he can determine from what sides he doesn't have to worry about incoming gunfire from, and position himself accordingly.  Dumb players still won't know what to make of the information about how many ships are shooting at them.  I wouldn't say that skill dumbs down the game at all, if anything it gives smart captains another tool to use.  

yup  I am taking PT and RDF on many of my ships.   information is worth more than most capability.  :D

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Not by itself but with all of the changes done since late 2015 yes, this is yet another feature implemented by WG to lower the learning curve.

Edited by slak__

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,880 battles

In a way, they raised AFT to even more unobtainable levels.  After all, folks would rather sacrifice AFT to get concealment, or RPF.

And THIS will buff the heck out of CV operations.

Sorry Cleveland..  Atlanta..  No AFT?  You are just another target now.

[NEIN]
Beta Testers
583 posts
7,325 battles

I would say learning how to stealth attack a ship with torpedoes is a basic skill.  It isn't hard to learn, and becomes a hindrance if you let it control your DD play style.

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,046 battles

Not less skill based just different skill based. Perhaps even more skill based.

You see comrade, when you always know DD is there, can no longer pretend he is not, so brain always working and is of makings more skill and required thinkings ))))))) 

Beta Testers
462 posts
6,275 battles

This skill helps you at the beginning of a game and in close brawls.  

Say you head off to try and take a cap but the Red team has not been spotted. You enter the cap and you are spotted. Well if you have Priority Target and it alerts you that multiple ships are aiming at you then you know to abandon the cap. 

or

You are focused in on one ship to try and kill that ship but other Red team ships are near. With Priority Target you can make a determination if you can continue to fire on the current ship or if you need to take evasive action. 

This is a very good skill. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,211 posts
15,770 battles

I ask this not solely based on the RPF but also priority target which is a 1 pt skill.

Why did they add a skill that lets you know how many people are targeting you?

This seems like a skill to help people who have no awareness.....

Seems to me the game is becoming far less about skill

If their awareness is that bad RPF won't help them and for those it will help it is highly situational, there are better places to spend those points. PT will be useful when the enemy hasn't started shooting but once they do start you are going to be too busy to worry if it is three or four shooting at you.

[NATO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,640 posts
10,324 battles

Honestly, Im not certain how much less skill can be required to play this game decently. Its already pretty simple.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

wait, this game is SKILL BASED???
Not the teams I have been seeing lately....:trollface:

maybe 8 months ago.... 

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Well let's look at it this way... was there a way before this to know how many ships were targeting you by your own personal skill as a player?

No.

You could zoom in and look at a particular ship and see where its turrets were pointing, but there was no way to evaluate this data for all ships in the game with any efficiency or accuracy needed to simulate what this skill does.

Therefore this is not making the game less skill based, because it is not replacing something that skill provided. 

[-B-Z-]
Alpha Tester
715 posts
4,225 battles

Considering how many players consistently sail in a straight line, how many ignore enemy ship maneuvers they can see which clearly indicate they sent torpedoes, the fact the typical DD tactics involve using islands and forward spotting operations so you play to counter what you expect to be happening, etc., for most players knowing how many enemies are targeting you will also be lost to them even if it is available.  

Members
2,335 posts
6,897 battles
​With every patch this game is getting squeezed into a full blown arcade game. Soon it will appear on boardwalk arcade stores in it's self contained cabinet and Dollar slots,  You know the one's if the corner of the bill is folded over it keeps shoving it back to you. FPS :ohmy:

[RST]
Members
836 posts
22,784 battles

In a way, they raised AFT to even more unobtainable levels.  After all, folks would rather sacrifice AFT to get concealment, or RPF.

And THIS will buff the heck out of CV operations.

Sorry Cleveland..  Atlanta..  No AFT?  You are just another target now.

True, unless like me and you have a 18 point Atlanta captain - you can get all three:  RPF, AFT, CE (or MFCAA).  That seems like it's going to be a nasty build.

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

With BFT moved to higher tiers, the rest of tier 1 is junk, so it's not a bad thing if one of the skills is situationally useful.

3 of the 8 skills are for CVs only, and DDs don't get catapult fighters, so that one is out too. CAs with radar also can't use catapult fighters. This means that the only possible tier 1 skills for many players are: Priority Target, Preventive Maintenance, Expert Loader, and Incoming Fire Alert. It's a tier full of stuff that has next to no effect on the game -- I mean, I don't not want to switch shell types faster, but it's really not something that matters most of the time.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

It might be a nerf to some destroyers, but it's not going to make it less skill based.  Having more information is different from knowing what to do with it.

• Cool 1

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

Its not going to change much.

The only change RPF will do is hurt the DD players that go off on their own away from any type of support.

That's ubderstating it a bit. RPF will also hurt DDs that try and cap. 

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Why waste a skill point on PT?

If several enemy are targeting you it is likely too late for you anyway.

I will be choosing another skill of better use.

RPF - I'm still on the fence on that one.

In general, the present skill tree is clear cut & well laid out for pretty much all the classes of ships.

This new skill tree seems to have many rather superfluous skills and it alters the level where some of the current skills are.

I am not at all sure these level alterations are correct.

All things considered, it will be a task to reassign all these Cpt skills - a rather stupid & pointless task considering the current Cpt Skill tree is well thought out, imho.

I predict all sorts of whining about this in the Forums.

Sign in to follow this