You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NavyDragons

Carrier rewards are way too low

27 comments in this topic

[BB]
Members
3 posts
1,564 battles

did a match a t4 carrier did over 100k damage 5 kills high calibur and a bunch of other ribbons, and only received 1137xp how is that appropriate, i could get that level of xp with significantly less effort in any other class of ship

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I remember I got 130k damage in a Hosho once, and I ended up in the middle of my team for XP. I agree that earning XP in CVs requires way more effort than in other classes. 

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,880 battles

It also has to do with things like spotting (CVs excel at that, but the 'do-damage' intent kills it), and capping.

My Independence didn't get any kills and only did 22K damage, but I got top spot because I made two caps and was the sole survivor of my team.

I have this habit of keeping spent torpedo/bombers over enemy DDs and leaning on the F3 button.

On one mission, the bombers were loaded when I did that spotting.  The DD sailed into the side of an island to shield from the gunfire...   So I ... <alt> LMB....  boom... dead.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,490 posts
29,226 battles

Yeah, they nerfed the XP CVs get based just off damage and put more emphasis on other items, such as aircraft kills, spotting, etc.  I think they went a bit to far down that road though....

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

Its so u stop sealclubbing at t4.

Some ships have 0 aa at t4.

So u coming in here with a whine. Wont get much sympathy.

Members
158 posts
731 battles

Just you wait for getting to top tier carriers. Costs are insane and rewards are meager. Even doing a 240k damage match in Midway gives you negative earnings if you don't have premium; any regular match won't give you profits even with premium.

Edited by OVBruce

Members
158 posts
731 battles

Its so u stop sealclubbing at t4.

Some ships have 0 aa at t4.

So u coming in here with a whine. Wont get much sympathy.

Yeah, right, no. The OP has just started playing CVs, his higher tier CV is Zuiho and he is playing Langley too.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Rewards seem fine to me. Did 120k damage and got 4 kills in my Ryujo the other day, got 4k xp, with no signal or camo bonuses. 

And tbh, CVs should get less xp. Less risk = less rewards.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,172 posts
10,845 battles

did a match a t4 carrier did over 100k damage 5 kills high calibur and a bunch of other ribbons, and only received 1137xp how is that appropriate

Damage per se doesn't necessarily lead to very big reward. Let me guess: you were hitting tier 3 and tier 4 BBs?

PS Just to be clear, 1137 is base XP, right?

Members
158 posts
731 battles

got 4k xp

Please, post the base xp screencap, because that sounds like first win of the day + premium.
Edited by OVBruce

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Please, post the base xp screencap, because that sounds like first win of the day + premium.

I didn't screenshot it, but just using elementary math, even if it was with both premium and first win bonus, that's 1742 base xp. Which is damn good.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

Cvs are limited at making huge gains. Theres just not alot of things u can do as a cv. Only because the games meta is kinda set up for ship battles. Tanking spotting and capping isnt something u get alot of in a cv.

Damage done is all a cv really gets credit for.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I'd agree with that if potential damage earned CVs much more. If you play a CV near the front lines, your turn around can be quicker, and you're at risk. But it only earns you that tiny bit from the time not spent traveling back and forth. For most people, taking their CV anywhere near the action is a risk without reward.

[H0PAS]
Members
715 posts
15,013 battles

CVs get screwed because we're limited in how much damage we can deliver plus its far too dangerous for us to earn points by taking caps too.

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

I want more xp for scouting for dds. I always send my fighters in front of any dds rushing to a cap. And try to keep them there spotting enemy dds.

I get alot of thanks. But wg doesnt thank me much.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

CVs get screwed because we're limited in how much damage we can deliver plus its far too dangerous for us to earn points by taking caps too.

Except smart CV players will cap when the situation warrants it so that part of your argument is, imho, an exaggeration, TangledThorns.

[BOTES]
Members
2,394 posts
10,566 battles

Not all damage is equal. For the sake of discussion, let's suppose that of your 100k damage and 5 kills, it was divided up as 20k to 5 targets: 4 BBs and 1 CA. That CA kill would be nearly full health and thus give you a lot of exp, while only taking out a fraction of the health of those BBs will result in less. Kind of stupid, but that's how it works. Proportion > nominal value

[H0PAS]
Members
715 posts
15,013 battles

Except smart CV players will cap when the situation warrants it so that part of your argument is, imho, an exaggeration, TangledThorns.

By that point the cap is already taken by your own team mates.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

By that point the cap is already taken by your own team mates.

With rare exception. Things I can think of are:

Late game, enemy DD takes cap far from your remaining ships. You sink the DD, and are best to cap.

Both teams are full of potatoes, and fighting nowhere near the cap.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

CVs earn less per game because they can more consistently have good games.

A competent CV will never be in a position where they die and are completely incapable of earning more exp within the first 3 minutes of the game.

The best indication of earnings we have is average exp.

In terms of that, IJN CVs are strongly in the middle of the pack, some towards the higher end of that range, some towards the bottom.

USN CVs tend to be at the bottom, but it's hardly a secret that USN CVs flat out suck compared to IJN.

Edited by issm

Alpha Tester
444 posts
2,983 battles

Rewards seem fine to me. Did 120k damage and got 4 kills in my Ryujo the other day, got 4k xp, with no signal or camo bonuses. 

Except that risk to the ship is considerably less relevant because 1) your repair cost is the same now regardless of whether you sank or took no damage and 2) CVs, especially low-tier CVs, can completely lose their ability to affect the game even without ever coming under fire.

CVs earn less per game because they can more consistently have good games.

A competent CV will never be in a position where they die and are completely incapable of earning more exp within the first 3 minutes of the game.

The best indication of earnings we have is average exp.

In terms of that, IJN CVs are strongly in the middle of the pack, some towards the higher end of that range, some towards the bottom.

USN CVs tend to be at the bottom, but it's hardly a secret that USN CVs flat out suck compared to IJN.

So because it's easier to get above-average results, CVs should be penalized so harshly that results a unicum would be proud of are required just to have a chance of not losing money on a match? That seems like a bit of an extreme swing to me unless your goal is to make people stop playing CVs entirely.

I also must disagree with your assertion that a competent CV driver will never die early/ with little chance to contribute. Have you played the low tiers recently? It's possible for a Bogue to spawn on a flank with a bunch of 30kt+ DDs and CAs who promptly abandon the Bogue to his/her fate because lemming train. Thanks to low speed of low tier CVs, there is literally nothing the CV player can do in that situation except hope the opposition lemming trained to the other side of the map because there is now way they will outrun the hunters coming for them. Or how about playing Ranger in a tier 9 game against a team full of USN and KM battleships and cruisers backed by an AS spec CV? Sure you probably won't die 3 minutes into the game, but what does it matter how long you survive if you can't penetrate the enemy's massive overlapping AA?

Hell, I've even had a game where I bagged a Ranger by myself in under 4 minutes in my Sims. The only strike he got off all game was in desperate self-defense, which nicked me for something like 15% of my health. There's also CV sniping, which is still sometimes a thing below tier 8 even if it's not as ubiquitous as it once was. 

CVs need fixing, no doubt, but nerfing the rewards for what they do does absolutely nothing to address the actual problem while also discouraging people to play the class. I don't want to see CVs in a downward spiral where they are played less because of bad mechanics, and fixing the bad mechanics becomes low priority because of low player count, which encourages player count to continue to drop, resulting in a feedback loop of failure.

[BB]
Members
3 posts
1,564 battles

some of you have brought up issues that you believe to be relevant based on assumptions about gameplay so allow me to address some of them
1.other objectives
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x366/Navydragons/umm%20thats%20it_zpshtd4xkjr.png

there is the end match result

as you can see i dominated the air war so i didnt have to worry about enemy fighters

i do not have premium and this was not first win of the day

2. seal clubbing

while technically you could call it that because i do have high tier ships, my highest cv ever was the zuiho(T5) and that was a long time ago, once usn got fighter focus setups it was hardly a match and i stopped playing cv because it felt like a futile effort, i am now trying out cvs again as american and i am having a good time of it. however giving me diminished xp and low income rewards only ensures that i will be "seal clubbing" for a longer amount of time instead of getting into higher level cvs like i want to do

3.risk vs reward

a few have argued that because the cv can sit back and throw planes they dont deserve as much xp

to this i saw, you have clearly never played a cv, for those who arent aware auto drops are garbage and will miss 90% of the time so your aircraft almost require manual dropping meaning i have to operate my ship and a minimum of 4 aircraft simultaneously while keeping alert for enemy fighters and maneuvering through/around high AA enemy ships to ensure my target is reached without losing my planes

also there is the possibility that at some point in the match i just become a floating island and can do nothing,

imagine if you were a battleship and all of your main battery were destroyed because you made one minor mistake well that can happen to a cv in minutes

4.spotting well chances are my planes are spotting everything first as they are the fastest things on the map, a dd might beat me to 1-2 spots but really now

5.damage proportion

i earned high caliber, you can talk about % damage to achieve the kill till your blue in the face, i did over 30% of all ship HP in the game, (and i didnt kill the enemy cv btw i left him to linger around with 0 planes)

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Except that risk to the ship is considerably less relevant because 1) your repair cost is the same now regardless of whether you sank or took no damage and 2) CVs, especially low-tier CVs, can completely lose their ability to affect the game even without ever coming under fire.

So because it's easier to get above-average results, CVs should be penalized so harshly that results a unicum would be proud of are required just to have a chance of not losing money on a match? That seems like a bit of an extreme swing to me unless your goal is to make people stop playing CVs entirely.

I also must disagree with your assertion that a competent CV driver will never die early/ with little chance to contribute. Have you played the low tiers recently? It's possible for a Bogue to spawn on a flank with a bunch of 30kt+ DDs and CAs who promptly abandon the Bogue to his/her fate because lemming train. Thanks to low speed of low tier CVs, there is literally nothing the CV player can do in that situation except hope the opposition lemming trained to the other side of the map because there is now way they will outrun the hunters coming for them. Or how about playing Ranger in a tier 9 game against a team full of USN and KM battleships and cruisers backed by an AS spec CV? Sure you probably won't die 3 minutes into the game, but what does it matter how long you survive if you can't penetrate the enemy's massive overlapping AA?

Hell, I've even had a game where I bagged a Ranger by myself in under 4 minutes in my Sims. The only strike he got off all game was in desperate self-defense, which nicked me for something like 15% of my health. There's also CV sniping, which is still sometimes a thing below tier 8 even if it's not as ubiquitous as it once was. 

CVs need fixing, no doubt, but nerfing the rewards for what they do does absolutely nothing to address the actual problem while also discouraging people to play the class. I don't want to see CVs in a downward spiral where they are played less because of bad mechanics, and fixing the bad mechanics becomes low priority because of low player count, which encourages player count to continue to drop, resulting in a feedback loop of failure.

You did read where I explicitly exempted USN CVs from that statement, yes?

I wonder what Bogue is.....

Furthermore, I do acknowledge that this will nerf the earnings of a unicum - however, the system is more balanced for average players, and CV mechanics with their built in check on bad decisions (you can never lose more than 1 full strike force at once, and most CVs carry more than that) naturally benefit lower skilled players