Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

0.6.0 commander skill progression failures to communicate

7 comments in this topic

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

I don't want to spend this post bashing on specific 0.6.0 changes or on WG, which, in general, I believe tries to do well by the playerbase.  But there are several failures of communication, or issues of timing with the new patch, that are going to create entirely avoidable headaches for WG in the morn.  I would not want to be working WG customer support tomorrow.

1) I understand that WG is eager to get this somewhat delayed patch out, so that we can move on to the next big thing.  But, the official announcement of the IJN DD split - another much delayed development - came out several days before the patch itself, such that players had time to adjust in advance.  I specifically remember people on this forum re-buying ships to get the compensation.  In contrast, we have about 18 hours between the official announcement of 0.6.0 and the patch itself, such that a lot of people in the middle of certain grinds are going to be stuck there (see below).  Would a somewhat larger window have hurt anything?

2) There is some detail on how captains who presently have 16 skill points or more will be compensated, but very little as to how lower skill captains will be situated in the new skill progression - beyond the broad statement that no captain will lose a skill point.  Let us by way of example imagine a present 12 point captain who has accumulated 20100 captain xp toward his 13th point (thus they have 250,000 cumulative captain xp).  Tomorrow morning, will that captain have:

a)  10 skill points, and 67000/69000 of the points necessary to reach point 11 - because that is where 250,000 cumulative xp falls in the new table?

b) 12 skill points, but zero progression toward point 13 (0/108,000) - since his excess experience over the 12 point threshhold goes to pay for the new, higher cost of 12 points, and then he is "topped up"?

or c) 12 skill points, and 20100/108,000 of the points necessary for point 13?

Possibility (a) is ruled out by the patch notes.  I believe the answer is (b), based on an earlier interview with Sub_octavian.  © would be a bonus.  But the point is not that one is better than another; the point is that it would be nice for this to be in the official patch notes at this juncture, for people who do not hunt down interviews with WG devs.  If (b) is in fact correct, there will be a lot of players in scenarios such as that described who will be irately contacting WG support tomorrow claiming to have lost captain xp, and this could be avoided.

3) Earlier in the week there was a rumor that captains in retraining would be fully retrained for free with the patch dropping.  There is nothing to that effect in the patch notes, so I assume this rumor was false.  Oh well.  But back to general points: early and clear communication of captain transfer principles would have been nice.

4) Finally, there is - what is the opposite of an Easter egg - a bit of a rotten egg in the patch notes.  Take a look at the new table of retraining costs for captains, and note that it no longer caps out at 100,000 but instead goes all the way up to 250,000 captain xp to retrain a 19 point captain.  This is going to make it a lot more difficult to move high skill captains around - that captain you have been training up the line from the T9 to the T10, for instance - and does a great deal to offset the easier progression at high ranks.  Unless you use doubloons or make this the sinkhole for your accumulated captain free xp or general free xp.  An unpleasant surprise, but, again, the larger point is that this didn't have to be a surprise.  I do not think this was announced earlier, and thus feel that there is something of a bait and switch in the way captain progression works in the new system.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,410 battles

much a do about nothing live with the changes and play on since this will affect all of us just do your best and adapt to the changes

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

#2 has already been addressed by WG. The captain will have the same amount of skill points that he has now.

Indeed, but there is not any official clarification of whether #2 possibility b or c is correct.  You and I may know it is b, but it is not in the patch notes, and the player who does not read forums will be surprised by this.

And "adapt" - well yes, of course, but WG would help its own cause if it did not create an informational advantage for some people making their adaptation easier and smoother than others'.

Edited by Lillehuntrix

Members
36 posts
2,595 battles

3) Earlier in the week there was a rumor that captains in retraining would be fully retrained for free with the patch dropping.  There is nothing to that effect in the patch notes, so I assume this rumor was false.  Oh well.  But back to general points: early and clear communication of captain transfer principles would have been nice.

It was confirmed by Sub_Octavian in a reddit Q&A.
Edited by Frankk142

Members
36 posts
2,595 battles

He doesn't write the patch notes though, he was assuming such an important information would be included.

Sign in to follow this