Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

Looking back on the Alabama

64 comments in this topic

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

It wasn't THAT bad was it? I mean it seems to have worked out just fine...

IMO it wasn't worth the spaz we (as a forum) had.

Edited by pewpewpew42

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,145 battles

You mean the whole ST release plan?

Yeah, it was kinda bad.

• Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Even while the whole thing was going on my personal opinion was that people were overreacting about something insignificant. 

• Cool 2

[-GPS-]
Beta Testers
696 posts
5,366 battles

Even while the whole thing was going on my personal opinion was that people were overreacting about something insignificant. 

Kinda like RPF. 

• Cool 2

[RESIN]
Beta Testers
321 posts
23,092 battles

Your opinion is different than the communities.

Edited by ACEpickles

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

It has a whole lot to do with perception. Elitism, if you prefer. Designing a new ship then releasing it only to ST (think of them as external internal staff who receive compensation of a non-monetary means) was perceived by folks here as huge offensive gesture utilizing a specific digit of the hand.

Add to that perception the reality of a few comms coming from official sources wherein those comms were less than, how shall we say, polite? You now have the beginnings of a real barn burner. Tossing fuel onto all those perceptions mingled with reality - because honestly, comm channels do seem to get really 'lost in the translation' - and the result is unofficially known as a "Chitfest". 

I suggest the shovels now be tossed to the ground and let this dead subject remain buried.

• Cool 1

Members
2,335 posts
6,897 battles

The reality of the whole thing is 1000 people will buy the ship. 500 will think it is terrible. The forums will be filled with opinions of the ship. First week we will see 4/8 in every battle. Second week maybe 2. And after that it will fade away. About a month after sale the Nerf/Buff discussions will spring up. SOS:facepalm:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,409 posts
8,275 battles

Was it bad? Depends on your POV. The complaints were plenty justified and the only reason WG "changed its ways" is because of the shitstorm that was raised. Even now, it's uncertain when regular players will gain access to the Alabama, but if no one said anything at all it's certain they wouldn't at all.

[HDM]
Members
388 posts
15,599 battles

I don't believe we affected their decision at all. The update that contained it had two versions in the game files already.  

• Cool 3

[F-U]
Members
240 posts
3,458 battles

Simple communication is all that was needed to avoid the blow up in the first place. These things only spiral out of control when you have players angrily complaining to each other in a vacuum.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

I don't believe we affected their decision at all. The update that contained it had two versions in the game files already.  

Pretty much this.

All it did was force them to announce that they will sell the non ST version eventually, just not for a long while.  Since they do want STs to have some exclusivity.  My guess?  A year at least, if not a bit more.

• Cool 1

Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles

No, I think the "overreaction" was more than justified. A) it's an amazingly iconic ship, and not just some throwaway never-was, or a boat that was scrapped in the 50s. B) it played, once again, into the narrative that WG prioritized serving its elites over the regular customers - even at the expense of potential income. And C), most importantly, it demonstrated - yet again - that when you have no channel for frank discussion between a playerbase and a development team, that the only way to get through to the latter is via screaming.

Edited by Battleship_DukeofYork
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,720 posts

It has a whole lot to do with perception. Elitism, if you prefer. Designing a new ship then releasing it only to ST (think of them as external internal staff who receive compensation of a non-monetary means) was perceived by folks here as huge offensive gesture utilizing a specific digit of the hand.

Add to that perception the reality of a few comms coming from official sources wherein those comms were less than, how shall we say, polite? You now have the beginnings of a real barn burner. Tossing fuel onto all those perceptions mingled with reality - because honestly, comm channels do seem to get really 'lost in the translation' - and the result is unofficially known as a "Chitfest".

I suggest the shovels now be tossed to the ground and let this dead subject remain buried.

This is completely wrong.

Nobody cared whether or not the Super Testers receive a special ship.  Most of us on here would be fine if they gave the supertesters some made up paper Russian ship.  Or gave them every premium in the game for free.  It was never about the supertesters.

The uproar was about the general public not getting access to the Alabama specifically.  A museum ship many have an emotional attachment to.  Also, a member of many people's favorite class of battleship.  That's why, when they said they would release an alternate version to the public, things settled down.  If it was about Elitism as you falsely claim, their response would have done nothing to quiet things down, as the ST's were still getting special treatment.

Bottom line, the Alabama issue had nothing to do with ST rewards, and everything to do with allowing the general public access to this specific ship.

Edited by TheDreadnought
  • Cool 2

[HBG]
Beta Testers
79 posts
3,599 battles

I thought the point of the Alabama issue being resolved was that we wouldn't need to make more threads about the Alabama.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles

Looking back on the Alabama... I'm reminded of how  gullible and shortsighted people can be, how easy it is to fall for publicity tricks and stunts. Really, that was a sad display...

• Cool 1

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

No, I think the "overreaction" was more than justified. A) it's an amazingly iconic ship, and not just some throwaway never-was, or a boat that was scrapped in the 50s. B) it played, once again, into the narrative that WG prioritized serving its elites over the regular customers - even at the expense of potential income. And C), most importantly, it demonstrated - yet again - that when you have no channel for frank discussion between a playerbase and a development team, that the only way to get through to the latter is via screaming.

A) Iconic? For what? Bombarding shore installations in a "leisurely manner"?  Or for shooting down planes? The ship did nothing significant other than "being there".

B) As has been stated every time this topic creeps up...There have always been two "Alabama" files. "Alabama" and "Alabama ST". Y'all panic'd and completely glossed over that when data-miners said that.

C) Valid. Trevzor [edited] up.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

A) Iconic? For what? Bombarding shore installations in a "leisurely manner"?  Or for shooting down planes? The ship did nothing significant other than "being there".

B) As has been stated every time this topic creeps up...There have always been two "Alabama" files. "Alabama" and "Alabama ST". Y'all panic'd and completely glossed over that when data-miners said that.

C) Valid. Trevzor [edited] up.

​Yes, Alabama is iconic. She is one of the last surviving battleships in the world and has had thousands toured her since the 60s. Whenever you watch a film which features a World War II capital ship, chances are it was filmed on Alabama. Since 1964 she has been our window to the past, that alone makes her iconic.
  • Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Lol, Fog_Battleship_Alabama is reading this thread! I'm sorry about calling you insignificant....... :D

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Alabamagate was nothing but a PR F-up, where WG didn't effectively communicate the fact that players would later have access to Alabama.

Then again, I don't think they realized the significance of the Alabama to so many in the US, something which supercedes her combat record. Bell, I live in the US, but frankly I didn't understand why people love the Alabama so much until someone explained it to me during the whole hullabaloo.

Looking back, I can understand why people were so up in arms on NA, given they didn't consider other evidence, but yet I also understand why WG didn't explain it... They probably didn't realize. Don't forget, the whole sh*tstorm was limited to NA. None of the other servers had that same reaction.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
444 posts
3,482 battles

My view on this matter is that I wasn't here when whole uproar thing was going on off doing other games whole time people were screaming and I just hardly come on forums to begin with 

But I think one way could handled it would be give ST players South Dakota class with branding Battleship X on the back a premium Camo only ST get and posably special consumable only ST get.

Alabama would be normal Premium with premium stuffs

Alabama its self not unlike Texas Holds special place in some peoples hearts iv Visited both ships love there history nothing like standing on there decks and exploring them.

Not here to rage or any thing just my view or idea or just my two cents on this.

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Alabamagate was nothing but a PR F-up, where WG didn't effectively communicate the fact that players would later have access to Alabama.

Then again, I don't think they realized the significance of the Alabama to so many in the US, something which supercedes her combat record. Bell, I live in the US, but frankly I didn't understand why people love the Alabama so much until someone explained it to me during the whole hullabaloo.

Looking back, I can understand why people were so up in arms on NA, given they didn't consider other evidence, but yet I also understand why WG didn't explain it... They probably didn't realize. Don't forget, the whole sh*tstorm was limited to NA. None of the other servers had that same reaction.

Do the same thing with the Hood, Prince of Wales, maybe the Bismarck, Tirpitz or any "famous" European ship and see what happens.  Make it where that Graf was ONLY available for 3 days for the $99 package, following a mission of coming in 1st place in 5 PVP games, at T8+ as a prereq to purchase. and see who all woulda been up in arms over it...im sure there are plenty of Germans who would love to sail around in their navy's famous ships.

Yeah, treat the NA server like crap, time and time and time again, then wonder why they are up in arms when you, yet again, treat them like crap.  Umm, duh.  Its like you have 2 kids, 1 you favor, always take them out for ice cream, always spend time with them, then the other kid, you tell them you wish they were never born, tell them they were adopted, were not your real family, and just treat them like [edited]their whole life, then later on when one loves you and one resents you, sit back and get mad at the one you treated like crapand then hold it against them, calling them whining babies....but dont look back on your own actions...

Same deal with the NA server....always treated with a sort of neglect.....

Edited by KnightFandragon

Beta Testers
444 posts
3,482 battles

​Yes, Alabama is iconic. She is one of the last surviving battleships in the world and has had thousands toured her since the 60s. Whenever you watch a film which features a World War II capital ship, chances are it was filmed on Alabama. Since 1964 she has been our window to the past, that alone makes her iconic.

not true sorry there is one other of the Dakota Class USS Massachusetts (BB-59) located in "Battleship Cove" far as i know its still there.

I typed them in and they turned into links >_>

Lol, Fog_Battleship_Alabama is reading this thread! I'm sorry about calling you insignificant....... :D

No worries lol.

Edited by Fog_Battleship_Alabama

Sign in to follow this