Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Finnkax

Why are you not using my smoke?????

28 comments in this topic

[RICCO]
Members
1,165 posts
15,319 battles

->BB is deep in trouble

->BB asks help

->I lay smoke so it covers easily BB and a lot room to manouver or stop

->BB drives out from smoke and get imediately 2 fires. NO imediatetorp danger if BB has stayed inside smoke

Please CHECK That you smoke boundariesis  is ON in settings. I believe many even not notice there are smoke to protect them. (ok - there are SOME persons who do TNX when I lay smoke but those are rare.)

Title moderated by Mezurashi.

• Cool 1

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

Lol whenever I try to use smoke as a BB it disappears. It's almost as if some fiendish agent form the enemy team has placed a reverse smoke generator on my ship. :trollface:

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I have had so many cases where I sacrificed a smoke for a BB in my DD, only to have him sail right through it. I've also had so many cases where I was getting beat up by multiple enemies in a BB, and a friendly DD decided to smoke up just 1km behind me instead of covering me. 

Members
136 posts
6,428 battles

Personally, as a BB, I rarely stop in smoke. I know that my teammates are only trying to help, but smoke is a torpedo magnet. At least if your sitting still in smoke in a DD you can move out the way of torps in time, but in a BB you'll eat every single one. Also, sometimes you just can't stop in time, and when the smoke dissipates your a sitting duck for whichever enemy ships have moved up.

• Cool 1

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

I once tried to smoke a Bismarck while ramming him and spamming "stop, you are in smoke" in chat. The guy dragged me out of the smoke at full speed.

I don't smoke for BBs anymore.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

It takes a VERY long time for a BB to stop. Some BB's will cruise all the way through smoke cover without ever coming to a complete halt even if we throw it into full reverse.

Which of course means we'll be a sitting duck when we're spotted.

Get over yourselves. We appreciate the effort, but more times than not we simply will never be able to stop in time, so there is no point even trying.

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
1,497 battles

But you can change bearing and speed without the enemy gaining this knowledge, and popping out in a slightly unexpected position.  Giving you a minute to reorient your ship and maybe get off a crucial salvo.

When I'm in a DD  I try and provide smoke to help out BBs or Cruisers in a manner that they have some ability to maneuver should they want to.  And should they choose to sail through it, so be it.

Edited by Suicidal__Tendencies

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I try to use smoke when it's offered. Sometimes though it seems like some DD captains don't realize how long it takes a BB to stop. If you start smoking behind me, I'm probably going to be long out of the cloud by the time the lead sled I'm in decides it's had enough of that momentum nonsense. 

• Cool 1

Members
493 posts
7,065 battles

Personally, as a BB, I rarely stop in smoke. I know that my teammates are only trying to help, but smoke is a torpedo magnet. At least if your sitting still in smoke in a DD you can move out the way of torps in time, but in a BB you'll eat every single one. Also, sometimes you just can't stop in time, and when the smoke dissipates your a sitting duck for whichever enemy ships have moved up.

This is the reason why.  Argue all you want, it doesn't change the fact that it takes 30 seconds to stop, and 30 seconds to get going again.  Smoke is a torp magnet and a stopped BB is screwed if torps show up.  Also, if you lay smoke in front of a moving BB, he won't even be able to stop in time.  Go play a BB for a bit to understand.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

You think wrongly about many a BB... at least me in case particular. The ONLY time I want smoke from a DD is if i'm retreating. What I see time and time again is a DD dropping smoke to "help the poor BB or the team" and in reality what you do is help the red team. 

You blind us. 

See... if you smoke and stay in or behind the smoke, we can NOT see the reds. What's even worse is when - and it happens a lot - I have a red ship on the ropes and a friendly dd comes by smoking and suddenly I cannot see him. He escapes - or worse yet - and there is always  a worse yet - he has a DD to the side or in front of YOUR smoke. He sees me, I cannot see him. He gets away and yes, worse yet - he may land heavy damage on me.

I maintain unless it is specifically asked for by a BB, do not do us the favor of thinking you know what we are doing. Odds are you do not. Only my wife has that ability :-) 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Cool 1

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

It takes a VERY long time for a BB to stop. Some BB's will cruise all the way through smoke cover without ever coming to a complete halt even if we throw it into full reverse.

Get over yourselves. We appreciate the effort, but more times than not we simply will never be able to stop in time, so there is no point even trying.

I was going to say, it appears people think that these things stop as soon as the throttle is lowered to 0 / reverse. 

so there is a dance here...DD should tell BB that smoke is coming and remind them to slow down...DD should start smoke when BB is slowing. 

But then...

There is this. A BB sitting still in smoke is as good as dead or really really hurt from the torps that will undoubtedly be fired into smoke. 

I'm not saying it's totally unappreciated. A DD laid some smoke for me last night, but coordinating a little bit helps. 

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

I usually ask or mention that I'm gonna smoke you.  At that point, it's up to the ship to communicate.

If there's a group of ships, I'll usually lay it down without mentioning anything. I figure at least one Captain isn't an idiot. :D

It's situational though. If no ships can torp on the enemy team then you shouldn't worry about torps.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[RLGN]
Members
19,165 posts
35,202 battles

You think wrongly about many a BB... at least me in case particular. The ONLY time I want smoke from a DD is if i'm retreating. What I see time and time again is a DD dropping smoke to "help the poor BB or the team" and in reality what you do is help the red team. 

You blind us. 

See... if you smoke and stay in or behind the smoke, we can NOT see the reds. What's even worse is when - and it happens a lot - I have a red ship on the ropes and a friendly dd comes by smoking and suddenly I cannot see him. He escapes - or worse yet - and there is always  a worse yet - he has a DD to the side or in front of YOUR smoke. He sees me, I cannot see him. He gets away and yes, worse yet - he may land heavy damage on me.

I maintain unless it is specifically asked for by a BB, do not do us the favor of thinking you know what we are doing. Odds are you do not. Only my wife has that ability :-) 

If I see a battleship or other ally in trouble and have smoke available, I generally try to help them out. I've allowed allowed allied ships to break off and been thanked for my effort, and also watched as they sailed right on through to their doom.

I will continue to do so.

As smoke relates to what I just said, as well as to the comment from Herr_Reitz I emphasised in his quote; after a rough start learning when/how to do so; I make a point of ALWAYS staying in front of the smoke in order to prevent just that. Doing so also has the added benefit to ships behind the smoke of providing earlier warning of possible torpedoes.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

I appreciate it when DD smoke me, but I need enough warning so I can pull the throttle back or I'm not going to be able to get stopped in time.  And yeah they are torpedo magnets so sticking around to help spot torps coming toward it is helpful.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

So is smoke a torpedo magnet or some OP godmode? Battleship players seem to be at odds on this one.

:trollface:

Or you be a smart DD lay the smoke like a good helper to mask your team, THEN you sit outside your smoke to spot. Crazy, I know.

[SALVO]
Members
16,502 posts
10,225 battles

Battleships are like kids. You care for them, spot targets for them, lay smoke to save their butts, spot and scare red DDs near them, always have a lookout for those pesky torps that ruin their day, and in the end, they decide they are mature enough and yolo against 3 red ships, then they blame it was all DaDy's fault. 

I'm bored already of spending half match(standard) taking care of BBs only to see them commit suicide at some point.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

I usually try to identify them in chat by their player name and not their ship. 

Some people don't identify that you are talking to them unless they actually see their name appear. 

instead of 

"Hey NC , gonna smoke you into the cap ok?"

"Hey Canadatron, gonna smoke you into the cap ok?" 

I still have from time to time people that are completely oblivious. But I am pretty vocal in my matches and normally at tier 10 players are generally aware enough. 

Lately I have found that the communication and team play in tier X matches has been quite high. I see a lot of good matches these days very close matches that have a lot of coordination among players who aren't divisioning. 

Edited by Cobraclutch

Beta Testers
123 posts
2,244 battles

I did this exact thing for a friendly Colorado getting hammered on an abandoned flank with my Fubuki.  It was him vs about 4 enemy ships, not going well at all.  He had started his full rudder turn away from the furball and I came in to lay smoke inbetween his turn and the closing enemy onslaught.

I even indicated in chat I would do this - "Colo, I'll smoke you so you can get out."  After using a speed boost to catch up quicker and laying a half ring of smoke to shield him I stayed outside the smoke ring to give him vision at the enemy 12km away.

Did he continue his turn away from the enemy and make good use of the smoke, shielding himself from fire?  No, he turned INTO the smoke, drove through it, and yolo'd at the enemy, blowing up very quickly.

Awesome.  Now I'm down a smoke and speed and we're down a top teir BB because "yolo".  *slowclap*

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

You blind us. 

What the two of you have said only applies for a poorly executed smokescreen. If I smoke for a BB, I will travel alongside him to create a long smoke-ring chain that will give him enough room to slow and stop, and once the smoke is in place, I will spot for him. So perhaps you should asking people to lay smoke for you PROPERLY instead of telling them to not do it at all. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Please CHECK That you smoke boundariesis  is ON in settings. I believe many even not notice there are smoke to protect them. (ok - there are SOME persons who do TNX when I lay smoke but those are rare.)

Excellent point. And if you ever lay smoke for me, please accept my thanks in advance. I'm a horrible typist and would probably have my hands full in that situation so wouldn't thank you then.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

He's not just talking about using smoke offensively. If you're pointed at the enemy and in trouble, a smoke cloud gives you the perfect opportunity to reverse heading and get the heck out of Dodge.

I see what he's talking about all the time. Instead of retreating under the cover of smoke and disengaging to DC and heal, too many BB's seem intent on continuing their death ride.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,650 battles

What the two of you have said only applies for a poorly executed smokescreen. If I smoke for a BB, I will travel alongside him to create a long smoke-ring chain that will give him enough room to slow and stop, and once the smoke is in place, I will spot for him. So perhaps you should asking people to lay smoke for you PROPERLY instead of telling them to not do it at all. 

This right here. When I lay smoke for a BB I never sit inside of it because I need to be outside of it spotting for them and I lay it in a way that allows them time to stop.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

So is smoke a torpedo magnet or some OP godmode? Battleship players seem to be at odds on this one.

:trollface:

It's both. I know it's a torp magnet, so I don't stop. What I try to do is, turn and slow down, running away at such an angle as to keep the smoke between me and any targets, while keeping all guns unmasked.

Sitting inside the smoke keeps you hidden from all directions, which is usually unnecessary.

When I lay smoke, I try to do it in a curve, to provide the most cover without ships having to sit inside it.

Members
277 posts
7,925 battles

THe OP could be referencing me from a battle late last night (ET). And my apologies, you did lay smoke that I could use, but i was too focused on delivering the kill shot to the oncoming Gneisenau? or Scharnhorst? was it? I forget, but it was totally my fault for not using the smoke, I was kicking myself after the fact, and knew I had messed up - so thank you again -I learned a lesson, situational awareness is my weakest point and I need to improve on it

Sign in to follow this