Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mulletproof

What's Your Torpedo Accuracy?

Torpedo Accuracy for Science  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Torpedo Accuracy?

• 1-3%
    • 4-7%
    • 8-11%
    • 12-14%
    • 15-19%
    • 20% or Greater

49 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

With all the RDF craze and the perception that DDs need yet another nerf, I began to wonder if there might be a correlation between it and a particular stat: Torpedo Accuracy. You can find it under your Summary in-game. Selecting All Ships will produce the desired number. It might be off a bit given the changes Destroyers have been through, but I'm thinking that's okay. Let's handicap it a little by not caring. The number may even be enlightening to those people calling for more nerfs. Then again, maybe not.

I'll throw myself on the sword first and report my hit percentage is 8%.

Of course, if you don't play DDs often your information probably won't be as useful, but what the hell. It's for science.

I also capped it at 20%. I figure at that hit percentage, you're starting to rival turret accuracy anyway.

Let's play! :red_button:

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Its not the hit rate that makes them feel OP, its the absolute sheer damage they do, paired alongside no fail mechanics, along with typically, unavoidable flood damage equal to another torpedo hit.....

Shells, you gotta get hit by 30-40-50-100-200 of them to sink you.  Torpedos, you gotta get hit by like 2 and your sleeping with the fishes.  The damage disparity is so great between shells and torpedoes. 

If Torpedoes had a fail angle, where they fail to fuse, like if you manage to make them hit your ship at 15-20 degrees and the fuse fails.  Or like 25% chance that it might be a dud, or something that makes it less than 100% assured, 10,000 damage, it wouldnt be nearly as rage inducing to be on the receiving end of them.  Then we could WASD hack and feel like, whew, only 1 hit.....right now, its like "OH MY FKING GOD A TORpEDO!!!!!!!! WTFBBQ TURN TURN TURN TURN [edited]TURN OMG!!!! WHAM!!!!!!! -10,000 FLOODING for the next 2 minutes, and then its just a sinking feeling of knowing, well, im done......never mind what happens if 2-3-4-5 hit you.....

WASD hacking, sure, you can WASD hack all you want, but when the torp hits you, cuz your gunna get hit some times, you are guarenteed atleast 10,000 damage, and probably another chunk of flooding for 2 minutes, equal to another torpedo hit.....so, you basically take 2 citadel hits worth of damage in 1 torpedo. 

THen there is the SHEER AMOUNT of them in each game.  We have in PVP, 30 ships, of which prolly 20 of them can launch torpedos, ranging from 4-16 each, so, lets just avg that to 8 torps per ship x20 ships, thats potentially160+ torps in each battle.....of which only 1 needs to hit and your out of the game.

So, while yeah, the hit rate is alot lower, you dont need to hit with even remotely CLOSE to the same number of torps to cause absurd amounts of damage, far beyond what numerous broadsides from even Yamatos can cause.  Not to say Torps werent deadly in RL, but still....the sheer damage they cause its why everyone hates them so much....

Edited by KnightFandragon
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,470 posts
10,211 battles

Warships main site player stats.

TY

Oh, mine is 7% but I confess I'm a serious spammer and didn't learn about aim assist until I got tier 5

Edited by ArIskandir

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Not sure you can really gain valid data from a poll like this.

I don't play DD's much and most of the ships i do play are 6-8k max torps, so I'm in closer and my hit rate is higher, well above 20% in most ships. An IJN can fire from much farther out, and therefore is likely to have a much lower average.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Its not the hit rate that makes them feel OP, its the absolute sheer damage they do, paired alongside no fail mechanics, along with typically, unavoidable flood damage equal to another torpedo hit.....

Shells, you gotta get hit by 30-40-50-100-200 of them to sink you.  Torpedos, you gotta get hit by like 2 and your sleeping with the fishes.  The damage disparity is so great between shells and torpedoes. 

If Torpedoes had a fail angle, where they fail to fuse, like if you manage to make them hit your ship at 15-20 degrees and the fuse fails.  Or like 25% chance that it might be a dud, or something that makes it less than 100% assured, 10,000 damage, it wouldnt be nearly as rage inducing to be on the receiving end of them.  Then we could WASD hack and feel like, whew, only 1 hit.....right now, its like "OH MY FKING GOD A TORpEDO!!!!!!!! WTFBBQ TURN TURN TURN TURN [edited]TURN OMG!!!! WHAM!!!!!!! -10,000 FLOODING for the next 2 minutes, and then its just a sinking feeling of knowing, well, im done......never mind what happens if 2-3-4-5 hit you.....

WASD hacking, sure, you can WASD hack all you want, but when the torp hits you, cuz your gunna get hit some times, you are guarenteed atleast 10,000 damage, and probably another chunk of flooding for 2 minutes, equal to another torpedo hit.....so, you basically take 2 citadel hits worth of damage in 1 torpedo. 

THen there is the SHEER AMOUNT of them in each game.  We have in PVP, 30 ships, of which prolly 20 of them can launch torpedos, ranging from 4-16 each, so, lets just avg that to 8 torps per ship x20 ships, thats potentially160+ torps in each battle.....of which only 1 needs to hit and your out of the game.

So, while yeah, the hit rate is alot lower, you dont need to hit with even remotely CLOSE to the same number of torps to cause absurd amounts of damage, far beyond what numerous broadsides from even Yamatos can cause.  Not to say Torps werent deadly in RL, but still....the sheer damage they cause its why everyone hates them so much....

There are so many wrong things in this post that I don't even know where to start........
  • Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

OK, so my hit rate is 8%. But I my hit rate for DDs is a bit higher, because I play IJN CAs and use torpedoes mostly for area denial rather than really trying to hit anything. So for just DDs I'm guessing around 9-10%. 

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

If you're in a BB and you need to hit someone more than 50 times to sink them, you're doing something very wrong. The average BB does what, around 10k per citadel hit? The average cruiser has 30k to 40k hp, so that's four citadel hits to destroy one ship, and that's not including regular pens that also do a huge amount of damage.

And while torps will do more damage, you're forgetting that they fire those torps way less. A BB fires every 30 seconds, a DD fires every one minutes and 30 seconds.  Also, it's a heck of a lot easier to dodge torps than to dodge shells, if you turn when a BB has already fired, you're probably getting hit no matter what. If you turn when a DD fires torps, you'll miss those torps by a couple kilometres.

You'll easily find proof of this in statistics. I can guarantee to you that BBs place higher in terms of average damage than DDs, almost every time. At tier IV, there are six BBs placing higher than DDs (2-week, 100 battle stats) tier V, two BBs, tier VI, five BBs, tier VII, four, tier VIII and IX, four, tier X? Three. I think you get my point.

[PHUA]
Beta Testers
227 posts
3,913 battles

16%  Though I'm just getting into DDs and haven't sent too many waves off yet.  I tend to fire them off from close range in my cruisers and German BBs, so that's probably boosting my accuracy.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

What is a good main battery accuracy?

And, what is the best youtube videos on how to fire torpedoes accurately?

I am at 4.4% and I just don't get them, but I want to.

~B

ichasegaming has some good vids in the captains series.

As for a number not sure

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
6,263 battles

I would be willing to bet I've got at least half a dozen games in T5 BB's where I've taken a half dozen torpedoes and lived through it.

cuz your gunna get hit some times, you are guarenteed atleast 10,000 damage, and probably another chunk of flooding for 2 minutes

This part here suggests you may need to learn to use your Damage Control Party a little better.  Hint: The premium version is worth it for every ship of every tier, every battle.

To answer the question you posed, my torpedo hit rate is 7%.  Unlike Aduial, I'm usually trying to hit ships when I set them off.

Members
97 posts
3,690 battles

I'm hovering around 13% It's not great but it's not terrible. Sadly I use torp spreads a lot to benefit the team just by adding an area of denial, every once in awhile someone is dumb enough to keep driving in a straight line or fail to heed my soup warning

Members
171 posts
3,881 battles

If you look at the numbers, Shimakaze which has the most potent broadside of any DD can fire 1 15 torp spread every ~2 minutes, dealing ~22k damage per torp can deal ~330k damage. If you had torp defense you then get 247500 at 25% TDS, not to mention saturation. Whereas Yamato has a max of 14800 a shell firing 9 every 30 seconds which in that 2 minute span can deal 532800. math might not be the best but it's enough I should think.

• Cool 1

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Yeah, but you all forget with shells, your not GUARENTEED a citadel hit when you shoot.  Not even in COOPs.  Ive fired 3-4-5 broadsides and nailed dead center on broadside cruisers from 8km away and gotten nothing but 1030 and ricochets, misses and bounces.  Shells, yes, you fire alot more and alot faster, but the effect per broadside is ALOT less then a single torpedo which has 0% fail chance when it hits, causes a citadel hit per time it hits and then causes flooding for another citadel hit worth of damage.

Inb4 "then your aim sux", lol my accuracy is 43%, which I heard the avg is like 30%(Yes, its only Coops for me, so do with that what you will), but, my aim is fine.  I watched that IChase video and watched it again recently, yeah, I basically nail either the #1-2 turret area or the superstructure area on ships.  Ive been citadelling ships left right and sideways recently....and still, I get times where my RNG  tells me im #1.....meanwhile with a Torpedo, you hit with it, it basically deletes ships....

As for my use of DCP, yeah, with the rate of fire in this game, yeah, its gunna be burnt up.  I either die to the flooding, or I die to 14 fires.  DCP doesnt get nearly enough charges compared to the fire chance and certainly not the torpedo chance.  Ive been on fire with 2 fires, figured, crap, I better put these out, only to be lit up again....and its like...mmhmm.......buh bye another 10,000 health or more....

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

If you look at the numbers, Shimakaze which has the most potent broadside of any DD can fire 1 15 torp spread every ~2 minutes, dealing ~22k damage per torp can deal ~330k damage. If you had torp defense you then get 247500 at 25% TDS, not to mention saturation. Whereas Yamato has a max of 14800 a shell firing 9 every 30 seconds which in that 2 minute span can deal 532800. math might not be the best but it's enough I should think.

Maybe it's the fact that you know its coming that makes it more acceptable, as opposed to mystical water born death projectiles being fired from an unknown source? Just thinking out loud here. I mean, when there's big guns with an angle to fire on me I have no choice but to say yep, i deserved that. With torpedoes, you didn't even know the attack was coming unless you used radar. or hydro. or planes. or soon RDF. I half wonder if reducing the amount of alpha while increasing the amount (and aggressiveness) of flood would be more palatable. In my brief interweb research, only the most fragile ships were killed outright by torp alpha. It was the flood that crippled them. I think would accept that for rolling back some of these hard counters.

/shrug.

Edited by Mulletproof

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Yeah, but you all forget with shells, your not GUARENTEED a citadel hit when you shoot.  Not even in COOPs.  Ive fired 3-4-5 broadsides and nailed dead center on broadside cruisers from 8km away and gotten nothing but 1030 and ricochets, misses and bounces.  Shells, yes, you fire alot more and alot faster, but the effect per broadside is ALOT less then a single torpedo which has 0% fail chance when it hits, causes a citadel hit per time it hits and then causes flooding for another citadel hit worth of damage.

Inb4 "then your aim sux", lol my accuracy is 43%, which I heard the avg is like 30%(Yes, its only Coops for me, so do with that what you will), but, my aim is fine.  I watched that IChase video and watched it again recently, yeah, I basically nail either the #1-2 turret area or the superstructure area on ships.  Ive been citadelling ships left right and sideways recently....and still, I get times where my RNG  tells me im #1.....meanwhile with a Torpedo, you hit with it, it basically deletes ships....

As for my use of DCP, yeah, with the rate of fire in this game, yeah, its gunna be burnt up.  I either die to the flooding, or I die to 14 fires.  DCP doesnt get nearly enough charges compared to the fire chance and certainly not the torpedo chance.  Ive been on fire with 2 fires, figured, crap, I better put these out, only to be lit up again....and its like...mmhmm.......buh bye another 10,000 health or more....

Yeah, because obviously whenever you fire a torpedo you hit. And OBVIOUSLY, even if you use your DCP wisely you're going to take flooding damage every single time. 

Why don't you actually try playing a DD, NOT IN CO-OP (because hitting torps on bots is super easy), and tell me that DDs are overpowered and can reliably hit torpedoes every single time they fire them? 99% of the time, people who complain that torpedoes are OP have poor stats in DDs. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

12%. But I don't typically spray and pray... with the exception of DD vas DD knifefights where I might launch to force a turn, I generally only launch when I either have a target, or have a strong suspicion someone is going to come through a certain chokepoint or around a certain corner. If I have multiple launchers available, I typically offset my second launch to account for an expected evasion, since I'd rather maximize chance for hit with 1 or 2 torps for the flood chance instead of hoping the target doesn't evade and getting more torp hits. 

Sign in to follow this