Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GarethOfKelshim

How much training do my captains need?

11 comments in this topic

Members
126 posts
7,542 battles

I've been making a point of using my premium ships to train up my captains as of late. I'm wondering at what point enough is enough for one of them? For example, I have the Dunkerque and I want to try the two French lines when they get released. How many skills points does one captain really need before I say 'good enough' and start training the second one up?

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

As of right now, 15 points in most cases. When the next patch hits it's going to be different depending on the line, but a minimally acceptable build will land anywhere between 10 and 14 points.

Note that this is a sweeping generalization: some ships require hardly any points and others need close to 18 points to be fully effective.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,750 battles

its not really about the captain that makes the ship good, granted the little bonuses help a bunch. However in the long run, it is YOU the player that needs to be constantly improving to be considered "Good enough"!:read_fish:

Members
3,014 posts

with the new skill sets forth coming, I'll only say that a 19 pointer is your goal as it can come in handy as you bounce a 19 point admiral from prem boat to prem boat....

Get your Zulu Hotel flags from the store, play random when ya feel the need and play good as the payoff in random is far better for grinding captain skills.

Don't get all John Wayne until you have total feel of your craft.

Hopefully, you also have dragon flags and restless fire camo to help your pursuit.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

As of right now, 15 points in most cases. When the next patch hits it's going to be different depending on the line, but a minimally acceptable build will land anywhere between 10 and 14 points.

Note that this is a sweeping generalization: some ships required hardly any points and others need close to 18 points to be fully effective.

This is actually pretty spot on.  Right now 15 points gets you pretty much your basic build and anything beyond that is filler.  In the new system it is highly ship dependent because most of the useful skill have now been moved much higher in the tree and most of those have been moved to tier 4.   At a minimum your going to need 10 points but in most cases 14-18 is going to be the sweet spot.  

Of course you also got to prepare yourself for the massive grind that is to come.  The sad part about the change is that under the new system 10 points costs almost as much XP as 15 points does now <sigh> and it isn't until after you get 14 point that you start seeing an easier grind than before.  Basically it is going to get much, much harder to grind a captain out to a minimally acceptable build but I guess what do you expect when they have finally figured out a way to make money off of converting captain XP.  Basically the greed is strong in WG. 

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

with the new skill sets forth coming, I'll only say that a 19 pointer is your goal as it can come in handy as you bounce a 19 point admiral from prem boat to prem boat....

Get your Zulu Hotel flags from the store, play random when ya feel the need and play good as the payoff in random is far better for grinding captain skills.

Don't get all John Wayne until you have total feel of your craft.

Hopefully, you also have dragon flags and restless fire camo to help your pursuit.

The problem is that with the new system, your going to need multiple 19 point captains.  From what I have tested, alot of the current skills that were interchangeable between classes under the current system aren't under the new system.  Premium Cruiser A is going to need/want a much different set of skills than premium Battleship B.   In fact I fairly often found myself wanting a different skill set from one cruiser to the next in the same tree on some occasions. 

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,448 battles

I feel like I have been training captains forever, I grab the whole line and keep all the ships, so I like to have a half way good captain to be in them, I train them to 10pts  for my tier 4 and up ships, once I have enough for the line, I try to get 1 or 2 up to 15ptr for my tier 8 and tier x ships, right now in reserve I have 9 Russian, 11 british and 9 French, trying to get enough captains for this years new lines,  once I play the line, the ships I like I will work on getting them up to 15pt,  have a 15pts captain for ever ship is allot of wasted time, there are going to be some bad ships and some that don't fit your play style, that is why I use 10pt, its not hard to get them there and then just upgrade the ships you like, that is if you keep all ships (I do, I collect them)  if you don't probably 3 15pts would cover a line

Members
3,014 posts

The problem is that with the new system, your going to need multiple 19 point captains.  From what I have tested, alot of the current skills that were interchangeable between classes under the current system aren't under the new system.  Premium Cruiser A is going to need/want a much different set of skills than premium Battleship B.   In fact I fairly often found myself wanting a different skill set from one cruiser to the next in the same tree on some occasions. 

Its nice to have a 18 point Seagal that I can throw into the Atlanta Indy-Pensa Sims Arizona NewYork

Cruisers are my main game.

Atlanta is Life Eternal

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Also, pay close attention to the premium ships you have (or plan on buying) in a particular line.  For example, in USN BB line, I have the Texas and the Arizona, and then dedicated captains for my Colorado, NC, Iowa, and Montana.  So the high tier captains can both contribute their existing talents to the T5/T6 BB line as well as gain experience in general.  As for T3/T4, skills aren't as signification once you move up, so I just assigned new ones as the experts moved through the lines.  I now have all USN BB tiers and have a captain that can captain any ship without retraining.

In the CA line, I have Indianapolis and Atlanta, and a sixteen point concealment captain in my Baltimore.  If I get the inkling for lower tier, I just put him in the Indianapolis or Atlanta.  Although not optimized for DD, I also use him in the Sims.

Sign in to follow this