Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Turnip579

Can I pick your brain? 8*)

24 comments in this topic

Members
60 posts
1,265 battles

Greetings, I've been playing for awhile but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. For starters, I purchased the TEXAS when it first came out and have pretty much stuck to it. I like the ship and have been trying to get my Captains Skill Points built up. My win/lose percentage is at 49% with this ship. I am wanting to make sure that I am understanding the stars, points and doubloons. Currently I have 1,631 Doubloons, 67,708,424 Credits and 83,496 Gold Stars. I have 17 Skill points with the Texas and the rank of the captain is an Admiral.

Other ships I have played are the Ishizuchi, ARP Kirishima and the Konigsburg. Again, I have pretty much stuck with the Texas. It seems to me that if I play with the Texas, there is no where to go as far as advancement to bigger ships. Is this correct? My question is pretty simple. If you have these points etc, what would be your game plan to advance? Thanks mate!

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

So the Texas is a Premium ship. The primary function of it is to train captains. Its secondary purpose is to generate convertable xp which you can spend doubloons to convert to free xp. If i were you, i'd pick a line and grind it. Since you already have a USN BB captain, might as well go up the USN BB line.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Greetings, I've been playing for awhile but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. For starters, I purchased the TEXAS when it first came out and have pretty much stuck to it. I like the ship and have been trying to get my Captains Skill Points built up. My win/lose percentage is at 49% with this ship. I am wanting to make sure that I am understanding the stars, points and doubloons. Currently I have 1,631 Doubloons, 67,708,424 Credits and 83,496 Gold Stars. I have 17 Skill points with the Texas and the rank of the captain is an Admiral.

Other ships I have played are the Ishizuchi, ARP Kirishima and the Konigsburg. Again, I have pretty much stuck with the Texas. It seems to me that if I play with the Texas, there is no where to go as far as advancement to bigger ships. Is this correct? My question is pretty simple. If you have these points etc, what would be your game plan to advance? Thanks mate!

Tier 5 ships are not great at captain training and really not that great when it comes to income, mostly because other relative costs are low, in my opinion. 

For training US captains, you literally can not get any better ship than the Missouri. However, that is going to cost a lot of time when free exp granted is 5% of your regular exp

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
594 posts
8,966 battles

Because the Texas is a premium ship, you won't earn EXP on a regular line of ships (although you will earn a very small amount of free EXP which can be used for anything) by playing it. If you enjoy US battleships, you can start working on that line by unlocking the St Louis T3 cruiser and then branching off to the South Carolina T3 battleship. Frankly, you aren't obligated to play any particular ship, so if you just want to keep playing the Texas because you enjoy it, that's completely fine.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Premium ships don't have progression. If you want to progress on the line, you'll have to start at one of the tier 1 cruisers also on your account and move up through the tech trees that way.

Members
60 posts
1,265 battles

What do I need to do in order to use the BB TEXXAS Captains skill points? In other words, what ship would I use to keep playing that captain? Tons of info here guys and I appreciate it. A lot to digest I see.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

You should start playing the ships in the tech tree. Since you seem to like USN battleships, start there. And even if you stick to playing BBs mostly, do try other ship types and nations, never know what you may end up liking. And there are lessons to learn that will help you in your battleships too.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

VALKYR  Why are Tier 5s getting shafted?

Tier 5s find themselves often bottom tier, more so than some other tiers. It's not really as bad as people like to claim though. Valkyer's advice is terrible, jumping up to t7 before playing more at the lower tiers a bad idea. You would be put into a more competitive arena before learning all the lower tier lessons/skills. I have looked at you stats and what you need to do is play some more ships other than the Texas. I would recommend playing USN CLs tier 1-3. that will get you to the first USN BB at t3. From there you can advance up any of the USN lines.

Members
60 posts
1,265 battles

If I already have a LEVEL 5 German Crusier the Konigsburg, what about jumping over to a German BB? Would that be quicker?

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

If I already have a LEVEL 5 German Crusier the Konigsburg, what about jumping over to a German BB? Would that be quicker?

German BBs are pretty solid. You can't go wrong with them.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

No, you'll have to start at Tier 1 CL/CA. Once you're on the Tier 3, you'll have the option of researching Tier 4 CL/CA, or Tier 3 BB. (eventually you'll do both)

As far as your high-skill captain, eventually you'll want to retrain h8m for a regular ship you want to keep.

Don't recruit another captain for Texas. A premium ship can use any captain of that nation without penalty. IOW, any US captain can use the Texas, but a Texas captain can ONLY use the Texas.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Edited by Skpstr

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

So I can go from a cruiser line and jump over to the BB line? Can I just start on the USN BB Tier 3 line?

You would have to start at t1 of the USN line to get to the USN BBs, can't just skip to t3. But at such a low tier it's very easy and fast to go from t1-t3. Yes it would be faster to start KM BBs, but you can't use your Texas captain if you do that.

Edit: And as Macabe said, KM BBs are pretty good, can't go wrong there.

Edited by Kapitanleutnant_Ford

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

So I can go from a cruiser line and jump over to the BB line? Can I just start on the USN BB Tier 3 line?

Open up your tech tree tab and look at the arrows that go between the ships. This means that you need to have researched through the Erie at tier 1, then the Chester, St.Louis, go sideways to the South Carolina, and up you go on the BB line.

All of the BB lines start at tier 3 and require you to research them from the tier 3 cruiser. On your German line, check the Kolberg. You should see that it goes both to the Karlsruhe as well as the Nassau. Research the Nassau and you'll be able to buy it and continue to go down the German BB line.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

If you researched the Tier 3 German BB when you had the Tier 3 German cruiser, you can do it right away. Otherwise, you'll either have to spend the free XP on the research screen of the Tier 3 German cruiser, or rebuy it and earn the XP.

Usually, when you level a ship, you should make sure you research ALL the next ships, (usually there's only one though, except for on cruisers, Tier 2 also has a destroyer to research, Tier 3 has a battleship, and Tier 4 has a carrier) even if you don't plan on buying them anytime soon. That way, no matter where you're at in the line, you can buy the lower ships anytime.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

In a few weeks or so Wows will be changing the Captain skills, this change will be the biggest this game has seen and we will all get a free reset on theses skills at this time,as far as you advancing down a line with a premium ship this is not possible, You will notice that when you start a line it "must" be started at the first ship and as you make XP and credits using this ship you will eventually Have enough to pay for the reaserch and buy the next ship in line .. this is called Grinding ,you do not have to buy the ship just pay for the research to move on what you can do with the premium Texas is use that ships XP and credit to pay for the next ships research and the next till you get to the ship you want, this is what I did using the Premium ship Murmansk to get away from playing ships I did not want to play, the premium Vlll Cruiser Atago is an excellent XP earner for me now

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

No. You can spend 500 doubloons to retrain him to any US ship you have researched, and then he can use the Texas as well.

What I would suggest is, leave him on the Texas for now, until you get a BB you want to keep. For example, you may decide that, even though you want to level up to the Iowa, you like the New Mexico, and want to keep it as well.

Retrain your Texas captain to New Mexico, and then he can be used on both ships. Or retrain your Texas captain for the Colorado, and leave your New Mexico captain where he is.

Either way, all your US captains can use their own ship AND Texas.

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

OK Tanks guys. I will run up the US BB line. So, I cannot use my TEXAS CAPTAIN on any other ship?

Any captain of a nation can be used on any premium ship of that same nation without penalty. However, said captain does need to be trained for a normal tech tree ship he's captaining.

You can have a Clemson captain play in the Texas if you chose and there will be no penalty. However, put that same captain in the Wyoming and there will be one.

So you're probably going to want to retrain your Texas captain to a ship in the US BB line. To do that, you need to get that ship first, then assign the captain to it and lastly chose which method of retraining you want (the free and credit options require exp grinding to finish while the doubloon option is an instant retrain).

A 17 point captain is expensive to retrain. With the credit option, it'll take 250,000 captain exp to finish retraining him, which is much more than what you'll be spending on low tier ships. You can try getting through them with the retraining penalty, or grab a new captain and start fresh, bringing your 17 pointer at the high tiers. Remember you can still use your Texas without penalty with that 17 point captain even if you are in the middle of retraining him.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Whe I retrain him, does he lose his skill points?

No, but unless you spend 500 doubloons to train him, you will have to gain a number of "retraining XP". (shown in orange instead of white) Spending 200K credits will cut the needed XP in half.

While retraining, your captain gains no XP that can be put towards skills, and all his skills are either negated, or only 50% effective, until the retraining is finished. BUT, if you use your Texas to retrain a captain, while you still have to grind out your "retraining XP", his skills will all work at 100%

Edited by Skpstr

Members
60 posts
1,265 battles

OK, here's what I did. Since I already had the level 5 German Crusier, I jumped over to the Tier 3 German BB ( and just got my [edited]handed to em) The gun range was [edited]at about 9NM range. I will grind the German BB line as some guys were saying here that the German BB's are good ships. I like the Texas and will keep playing it. NOw for the final quaetion, should I transfer any of my points over to free XP from the Texas?

Sign in to follow this