You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

ARP Takao - I do like her

14 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

So I hit a Tier X match today. I type into chat, "Ah, nothing like a Tier X engagement in a Takao." Immediately one then a second, maybe even third play come out trashing me and the ship, iirc, like this: "Play a garbage ship then beach about MM" and so forth... I say, "I think you are misunderstanding me". You realize it is apparently a trigger. Okay. 

I like to play a lower tier in higher tier matches. I work really hard to kick some stern if at all possible in those matches. "Just because you are top tier does not mean I can't kill/sink you". Well the battle started. Here's the result... can't say it's my best but it IS worth a chuckle or two...

m9ugxy.jpg

Now that's funny in my book... 

I did like 62K damage to the reds... like I say, not my best... but man what a group. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Is the original Atago garbage?

One thing for sure though...that class of ship has garbage AA.

Members
37 posts
1,769 battles

Takao is the same thing as the Atago just reskinned for ARP.

Yes the chance to get the takao was WG saying Here is a free $40 ship

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

It isn't the same. You can't get the detection rating down as far as the Atago, and you can't put any captain in it and it doesn't earn credits like the Atago. I have both and while I play the Takao sometimes, I prefer the Atago.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Takao is the same thing as the Atago just reskinned for ARP.

Except that:

- no camo can be mounted

- no premium earnings

- no IJN captain training

But except for that, yes, just a reskinned Atago

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

She has around 10km concealment... torps are great... guns are good... you can load up DF and terrorize aircraft or Hydro to hunt sub... i mean destroyers... :-) 

I like her just fine. 

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I generally follow this rule.

Atago = Experienced player

Takao = Potato who has never played T8 spends whole game firing torpedoes fully broadside.

It's actually pretty accurate.

I like the Takao. And the color grows on you. I disabled the anime voices.

[VX9]
[VX9]
Beta Testers
420 posts
16,201 battles

I like and play both ships. The forward firing torps really helps.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

I watched series once - so to form my own opinion. Takao seemed most life-like as a person. They did nice work with her artwork. In-game tho... my most experience ARP Kongo commander got moved on board... can't wait for the skill respecs coming this week. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Takao/Atago is missing her true AA layout; She's supposed to have in final form, 128 x 25mm Type 96 AA guns in 24 triple, 12 dual, and 26 single mounts, 4 x 13.2mm Type 93 AA machine guns, and of course the 8 x 12.7 cm Type 89 DP guns in 4 dual mounts.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Takao/Atago is missing her true AA layout; She's supposed to have in final form, 128 x 25mm Type 96 AA guns in 24 triple, 12 dual, and 26 single mounts, 4 x 13.2mm Type 93 AA machine guns, and of course the 8 x 12.7 cm Type 89 DP guns in 4 dual mounts.

That would make her overpowered since she already outperforms Mogami in several aspects.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

WG already confirmed that they will not give Atago (and by extension Takao) her full AA because she would be "OP" rather than "almost OP".

Which makes me feel that a T8 Maya; trading a turret w/ 203s for AA, and getting her full AA and infinite AADF, would do perfectly fine at T8 without any other changes.  Slight loss in offensive capability (but thanks to the wide torp angles and still generous concealment potential, isn't as big a deal), but considerable buff in defensive capability.  She'd also be a perfect trade with Atago when it comes to the seasonal refreshing of Premium ship availability (such as the one where Atlanta is being retired for awhile from regular access in favor of Belfast).

It also makes it seems like a line Takao will be better off as a T9 rather than a T8.  Moreso if they just give Takao her full AA and T9 HP, and maybe add Zao's 203s to her Hull [C] as was the original plans for the IJN.