Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Boomax77

PSA for Destroyers

5 comments in this topic

Members
629 posts
2,397 battles

Okay so I won't drop names, and I'm really not very upset, but this Mahan in my last battle, he laid down smoke for me (so I complimented him) and then like less than a minute later, I was up like a torch (lucky DD shells got through the smoke) so I hit repair. AS SOON AS the repair was on cooldown, the Mahan, definitely by accident, fird torpedoes, and one hit me, causing flooding. I couldnt repair, and flooding slows you down, so once the smoke was gone, I was a sitting duck.. I got torped to death by enemy DDs, and the Mahan continued on like nothing happened. Didn't bother reporting or anything because it was an accident, but I have a PSA for DDs: DO NOT FIRE TORPEDOES NEAR ALLIED SHIPS, ESPECIALLY BBS. I doubt I'll get anything reasonable for compensation, even though I took a minute of flooding damage... but I guess I can at least make a PSA for DDs.

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? I LITERALLY BUMP INTO A CRUISER A LITTLE BIT, AND I DONT EVEN GET COMPENSATION FOR TAKING A WHOLE MINUTE OF FRIENDLY FLOODING!? FIX YOUR GAME WG!!!

zjauqp.png

Edited by AnderZENZ_IowaClass
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

There is no compensation for dmg from friendlies any more as it doesnt make sense with the fixed repair costs.

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,058 battles

There is a link to a very useful PDF file in my sig. Feel free to paste it in the chat next time it happens.

This is by no means an excuse but poor coordination does contribute to it.

It's a problem with the meta actually. CAs are so fragile they are often afraid to engage for fear of instant death by AP. Personally I think it's because there are too many BBs in high tier matches and what it does is spreads out the artillery so there are too many angles to watch and therefore you have no choice but to hide behind the islands. This causes the game to be far too spaced out and even DDs have a hard time getting into position for a quality ambush. The key is discipline though. Except for the Ocean map, there is no point in spamming torpedoes just because.

Also, while I do appreciate when BBs try to show more initiative, their place is still behind the DDs. As a slow capital ship, you are an easy target. Help push but do keep a safe distance. DDs can't push ships back or destroy ships that get too close if you're in front of them. Don't rush the caps. If your DD doesn't think it's safe, help clear the CAs so then he can fight the enemy DD on more even terms. If you rush it yourself, you're just going to get focused on and probably torped.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

There is no compensation for dmg from friendlies any more as it doesnt make sense with the fixed repair costs.

Except that any damage you suffer at the hands of a friendly can (and often does) affect how much silver/XP you earn in that match. 

OP: It definitely sucks when you eat a torpedo fired by a friendly, and generally speaking if "you" are a battleship then it was the other guy's fault.  There can be exceptions in cases where the torpedo hit you at a very long range, but that doesn't sound like the case here.  That said, you can mitigate your risks by avoiding a few things:

• Try not to push ahead of your DD screen when possible.  This obviously doesn't apply if your DDs are hanging back and refusing to move forward or if you're all in general retreat, but as a rule they call it a "screen" for a reason.
  • Be extra cautious around certain ships which might be driven by less experienced players: low tier DDs, the Mahan (first USN DD in the line which can stealth fire torpedoes), any ARP cruiser, tier III/IV cruisers in general (plus Omaha), and any premium ship which carries torpedoes (especially Tirpitz).  So basically, every other ship on your team.
  • Try to avoid making sudden course changes when you do find yourself between the enemy and a torpedo-equipped friendly.  Even an experienced captain may try to thread the needle if the target is juicy enough.
  • If your intention is push into a cap circle, particularly during the early game, announce that in the team chat.
  • Don't assume that a destroyer laying smoke is doing it for you, especially a USN destroyer.  They typically do a decent percentage of their damage by smoke firing, and they may not anticipate you slowing down/turning into that smoke to use it as well.

It sounds like you already have a handle on this part of it, but remember that mistakes do happen, and in the heat of battle it's difficult for players to pause long enough to type an apology.  Reporting that player for poor play might make you feel better, but it's unnecessary as any team damage is automatically logged and flagged by the server.

Sign in to follow this