Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Crap_Shoot

Future campaigns and the premium advantage, some concers

20 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
422 posts
6,659 battles

First off, this isn't specifically a rant about the current campaign sets or the rewards (though I will be using them as examples).  Overall, I think they are relatively fair and we're getting a lot of free goodies out of the Hunt For Graf Spee and the Santa's Convoy.  However, there are a few aspects to these that are new, and do concern me about setting problematic precedents in the future.  Specifically, for the first time we are seeing campaigns that heavily favor premium time and/or ships.

1.  Time limits.  The first 2 campaigns have no time limit.  So regardless of one's free time schedule or overall tier progress anyone can realistically complete Science of Victory or Honorable Service.  However, Hunt for Graf Spee and Santa's Convoys have introduced deadlines.  And Hunt For Graf Spee even features barriers to progress with a "cool down" of sorts between stages.  So, if you want to earn the Spee for free, you could not start the Convoy Missions until last week.  If you bought the Spee with money, you automatically get a longer period of time to work on the mission.

2. Premium time for 3 consecutive tasks.  This is a small advantage for the permanent campaigns but with the introduction of a time limits it becomes a significant advantage to run 3 tasks at once, especially if you do not own a T8 premium, Missouri, or T10 w/ camo.  There is a particular task that seems made only for those ships. 

3. Tasks all but explicitly requiring premium time/and or ships.  XP and credit goals are fine and good, but there is one task in particular that seems exclusive to those with access to high tier premium: 500,000 credits in a single match.  Now, I got a Scharnhorst from a crate and i only barely cleared the 350,000 credit mission with some premium time I won and a bunch of flags, and it required 100,000+ damage matches.  With the proper camo (Gamescon or Ocean Soul) 350,000 credits is probably doable with lower tier ships, but I ran the numbers on my Scharn and even the credit booster camos would make 500,000 a daunting task.  Of course, people are reporting great success earning half a million in T8 premius, T10s with permanent camo, or best yet the Missouri.

So while with my occasional sparing premium time grind away the XP and damage (as an slightly above average player, I've found double with about one evening of grinding per stage (earning all 3 daily containers is my goal, since it's only 7000XP more than I need) someone with a properly set T8-10 could knock out an entire stage in just 3 matches.  That's a pretty big advantage time-wise, and definetly more than the 50% boost premium time usually gives elsewhere in this game.

3. Tasks explicitly requiring premium ships.  Completion of Santa's Convoys and earning either achievement tied to it requires 2 premium ships.  To earn any of the goodies along the you need the Graf Spee to unlock the first stages.  At least you can earn it, but again, the time crunch comes into play.  The last mission requires a Tirpitz, which unless you luck out with a supercontainer, is gonna run you about $50.  So, unless you own one, you are not finishing the Convoy and you don't get either achievement that go along with it. And if you plan on buying one in the future, well, no special camo for you.

I would recommend the following tweaks o future campaigns to make them a little less of a straight-up paywall.

1. Ease up on the time restrictions.  It's one thing to give a challenging end date, it's another to also give an artificial starting date, especially while advertising a paid bypass for said start date.

2.  Don't require premium items for completion.  Premium time and ships already provide moderately accelerated progression through tiers and missions, do they really need to offer exclusive achievements and even bigger campaign shortcuts?  "Christmas Convoy/With Honors" medals should really just be renamed to "I Has Tirpitz".

I have enjoyed the holiday campaigns for the most part and most of the requirements were reasonable.  But I'm worried about future campaigns taking a similar route and heavily favoring premium status, potentially even moreso than they already are.

• Cool 1

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

OP regarding #1 the Graf Spee mission did not introduce cool downs between stages. This was modeled after Project R when the Kami R was the prize.

Members
820 posts

Personally I agree on the time limitations as this affected me greatly this season. I had lots of free time end of december to which i could only wait for the harder and grindier level of mission unlocks. mid january now i'm busy as heck and I had to really struggle and forego quite a few things to fit these missions in my schedule.

I understand WG want to give incentive and such for people to spend money on the game, that is to say giving paying people added benefit in the grind.

The santa's convoy missions is clearly one, in which people who spend money on the bigger Graf Spee bundles will get more time to do these bonus missions. The other of course is as OP stated the bonuses of using premiums (time and/or ships). I'm willing to accept these steps, after all premiums and such are meant to make the grinds less. Yes that reason was initially for tech tree grind but im okay with it applying to mission grind too.

On the subject of requiring premium ship for completion (tirpitz) I think that sucks not simply because its a expensive premium ship but also even if u use a cheapo premium, theres still the issue that some people just dont want certain ships. Could it not be something more general, like a class of ship at least?

So... tl;dr:

1. Use premium ships/time to help mission grind -OK for me

2. Extra missions, more time for bigger bundle buyers - OK for me

3. Artificially forcing people to adhere to their made up schedule - NOT OK for me.  

4. Gating stuff with a premium ship that requires super RNG luck or pay real money - NOT OK for me.

[WHS]
Beta Testers
1,073 posts
14,320 battles

On the subject of requiring premium ship for completion (tirpitz) I think that sucks not simply because its a expensive premium ship but also even if u use a cheapo premium, theres still the issue that some people just dont want certain ships. Could it not be something more general, like a class of ship at least?

Then why do you care about completing it as the reward was camo for the said premium ship that you do not want...?

Members
820 posts

Then why do you care about completing it as the reward was camo for the said premium ship that you do not want...?

I think its simply campaigns should be more inclusive. I get limiting to a point of specific class of ships, but limiting to a specific ship, a premium at that, (one which i already have) seems not a good idea. I do not personally care, I just feel that campaigns like this should opt for a more broad approach in its appeal, at least slightly more.
Edited by cmdr_raccoon

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
823 posts
10,938 battles

3. I've made over 650k credits on a good battle in the tier 5 Fujin. Earning over 500k in higher tiers should not be a problem...

EDIT: I just found a screenshot where I made $738,681 in the Fujin...

Edited by Thraxian

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

I don't have any complaints  for how they setup the missions.

-Want to get a free Graf Spee? Do the campaign for it.

-Want to do the convoys for free ships and camo? Buy the Graf Spee

Want to do both? well there's the rub. You have to make choices, which is okay. 

As far as premium account, that is not a requirement much as you make it out to be. I have finished several of the convoy stages without making 500k in one game - I do not play T8 yet, mostly 5 and 6, and do not make that much in a game. Yet I can finish the stages anyway. 400 hits or 15 citadels? No problem. Do it, rinse and repeat. I really don't get the complaint.

I really like how this is setup to be honest. Play to get a free premium or buy it and play for free camo. The prizes for the convoys are nice but not spectacular. The free Graf Spee is nice

[WOLFB]
Members
1,110 posts
45,200 battles

This is a FOR PROFIT game. You are allowed to PLAY FREE! If you wish. No one is EXCLUDED from buying premium time.

It is a choice, and the game OWNERS are rewarding those that choose to BUY premium time

I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM (yes!! I'm yelling.) Sometimes you need to yell at inane complaints.

Welcome to the world of commerce.

(here's a little known fact {sarcasm} if no one payed to play, THERE WOULD BE NO GAME!)

P.S.

perhaps buy a kitten!!!

Edited by fbrrhd
  • Cool 3

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

For the most part, time gates either requiring a bit of spending or some waiting is fine.

The only thing that would be nice of WG to change is time locking only the final mission for the Graf Spee (or other ships like it) but allow rapid completion of the rest of the Campaign.  Maybe time lock it for two weeks, then leave two-four for the post unlock Campaign (Santa's Convoy in this case), or a grand total of 4-6 weeks to grind out the missions for all the rewards if spending rather than going all free.

Requiring Premium ships for certain missions is fair of course, as that's something they're trying to encourage a bit of spending on.  It should however not be counted for Campaign completion pins if it's not the ship being rewarded in the main Campaign, in this case Tirpitz.

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

For the most part, time gates either requiring a bit of spending or some waiting is fine.

The only thing that would be nice of WG to change is time locking only the final mission for the Graf Spee (or other ships like it) but allow rapid completion of the rest of the Campaign.  Maybe time lock it for two weeks, then leave two-four for the post unlock Campaign (Santa's Convoy in this case), or a grand total of 4-6 weeks to grind out the missions for all the rewards if spending rather than going all free.

Requiring Premium ships for certain missions is fair of course, as that's something they're trying to encourage a bit of spending on.  It should however not be counted for Campaign completion pins if it's not the ship being rewarded in the main Campaign, in this case Tirpitz.

I have to agree that needing a Tirpitz for campaign completion is wrong. 

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

In regards to the 500k credit mission: Missouri makes it very easy to do so(with premium acct and using the 20% bonus credits flag). If you do really potato bad as in say 20k dmg, yeah it's not gonna happen but you should still clear 200k. Do 50-80k dmg plus a cap etc and no problem getting 500k. Do 150k dmg, sink some ships and cause general mayhem and you're looking at over a million credits. Also, as someone earlier mentioned, the Fujin, Kamikaze, Kamikaze R are another method to win this mission, although you will have to have exceptional games in them and know how to play IJN DD's to their best to do so.

Edited by _Rumple_

Members
1,549 posts
5,319 battles

My two cents

Hunt Graf Spee:

• Easily doable in the time frame given without premium and without a huge time investment.
  • There have been enough missions and events to allow people to load up on +100% exp camo and +50% exp flags
  • With premium time, you are still limited by base exp missions when taking into account first win bonuses
  • Awards a free ship and is much easier than the other campaign

Santa's Convoy:

• Unless you have the Tripitiz or plan to buy the Tripitiz, the last mission, 9, doesn't matter
  • Mission 8 awards a camo for the Graf Spee that has the exact same stats and looks the same as the 2017 camo
  • Missions 3 to 7 award ships, which most people already have and camo that boosts exp on the ship.  The only incentive to grind these missions is if you want the ship and the camo to help grinding on the ship. The missions also basically give EVERY player access to premium equivalent ships at T6, so I consider this pretty generous on WG part.  If you already have the ship, you get some credits for the duplicate.  Once you complete mission 3, you can use that ship just like a premium in regards to exp.  They give 2 pretty good cruisers, a DD and the Fuso by the time you finish mission 6.
  • Mission 2 awards a 10 pt German captain
  • Mission 1 is really simple
  • As with the Hunt campaign, I found base exp missions to be the limiting factor and again, so much camo and flags are around, that the 30k exp missions are still obtainable prior to finishing the base exp mission
  • The 500k credit missions are a red herring and should only be attempted if someone owns a Missouri, I tried it with the Tripitiz, with Ocean Soul, Premium and a flag and came up 30k short 3 games in a row before dropping it.

If you are a completionist and want all this with limited time, either shell out some cash for the ship to get early access or buy a month of premium if you think it is going to matter that much.

Also, I have yet to see WG give away a premium ship that was any good other than the Kamikaze R.  After playing the Graf Spee, I don't think they have broken this trend.

Last thought on this is that I don't want to see this becoming a trend as it causes a lot of burn out.  I'll probably drop back to 12K exp per day for a while to take a mild break.  Extreme grind once a year is fine, but no more.

Edited by BossmanSlim

[RLGN]
Members
19,152 posts
35,188 battles

Agree about the premium time and premium ships; but for various reasons I have been grinding the last several stages of the convoy missions with my normal ships; working to complete the 50k xp, 10k bxp, and another one pin mission to get the six.

Doable yes; but much, MUCH more grindy than with premium equipment and a 500 credit earnings mission or two. Fortunately, I've had the time to do that grind.

I choose to wait and get the Graf Spee for free. Though initially unsure I would be able to do so; the 110k bkp missions we had in mid and late 2016 taught me I could ear that much in about two weeks; so I figued I had a passing chance to finish the convoy missions in the short, remaining time I would have.

As another poster said; if I don't finish for some reason? Well, that's the choice I made, and the risk I decided to accept.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
198 posts
12,201 battles

The only complain i've is the Final Tirpitz mission. It should be changed to "Play 1 battle".

· If you don't have the Tirpitz, sorry no special camo for you take this achievments as a consolation prize.

· If you have the Tirpitz, yay a new camo and the achievments.

Members
820 posts

More or less something like this, or pushing it even further maybe just the final task can be unlocked by a specific date, if possible. Sure make it a little grindy, whatever, I really just dont like being forced on an extended scheduling that isnt my own.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

3. I've made over 650k credits on a good battle in the tier 5 Fujin. Earning over 500k in higher tiers should not be a problem...

EDIT: I just found a screenshot where I made $738,681 in the Fujin...

Not only that, but unless I'm mistaken, can't you just ignore that task and do something else to get pins?

Edited by Skpstr

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Not only that, but unless I'm mistaken, can't you just ignore that task and do something else to get pins?

Yes you can ignore it.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I don't get why people are complaining.  Like anything else in a F2P game, you have a choice to pay for convenience. What I seem to see everyone complaining about is that they can't easily do it without spending a cent and all I got to ask is what do you expect??

Seiously, If you take the Santa's Convoy's Missions for example,  the ease and convenience of completing these missions is completely based on how much money you want to spend.  Want it really easy, buy the $99 Graf Spee bundle and then use premium time, premium flags, premium camos, premium ships, etc to make it easy.  You could have probably invested as little as an hour or two a day this way.  Want it easier and a bit cheaper?  Then wait until the Graf Spee came out for $25 and get that extra week to knock out the missions and maybe use premiums stuff to assist with this.  Want everything free, then invest the time and effort it requires to get the Graf Spee for Free and knock out the Santa's Convoy Missions.  As far as it being doable in the 9 day time frame without premium anything, its absolutely doable, you just had to be prepared to spend 4-5 hours per night and 8-10 hour a day on the weekend no problem.  If you find that inconvenient for whatever reason, spend some money and buy the convenience.  I am not sure why this should surprise or moreover make anyone upset or angry.  I have said it before and while say it again, the game has to make money for us to be able to enjoy it so pony up a bit of money and support the game instead of complaining that they make it hard to get stuff for free. 

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,440 battles

Be careful what you wish for. EU originally didn't get Santa's Convoys at all, instead opting to sell the perma-camos for cash.

Sign in to follow this