Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KDEstroy

Stop hating on the Kolberg

7 comments in this topic

Members
73 posts
1,466 battles

Whenever I see a post about the Kolberg, it's usually about how completely useless it is,especially when you compare it to the other tier III cruisers. Now I agree, it's not amazing, but it's not as bad as everyone say it is. It's got a decent speed, quick rudder shift, great turret traverse, and of course an insane rate of fire. All of those properties make it a great DD hunter. Just sneak up, watch out for torps, and fill those pesky DDs with HE shells. When engaging other cruisers such as the St. Louis, wait until they are shooting at another ship, then run up and spam them with HE, or even AP if they are low tier and under 5 km. Notice when they switch targets, then you turn around while continuing to rain volley after volley of shells on them. Generally , you do not want to one v one a BB, make sure they are shooting at someone else before engaging.

The shell velocity is really bad so you will want to get closer to the enemy. I always use ripple fire, just hold down LMB and never let go. One thing that you really have to make use of is the Kolberg's maneuverability, use it to dodge shells at long ranges. When you play her right, the kolberg is quite a decent ship, I feel that people are complaining about her without getting to really know the ship.

Now the Karlsruhe's a completely different matter, its a piece of junk.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

The problem with the Kolberg isn't that she's a bad ship.  The problem is that she has nothing to really distinguish her.  (Which is a trend that continues down the German cruiser line, right to the end.)

It's a decent gunboat, but it can't match the St. Louis in that role, let alone the seal-clubbing monster that is Bogatyr.  Tenryu at least has torpedoes.  That leaves the Kolberg feeling like a non-premium Aurora; solid, but surrounded by true heavy hitters.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

I bought it back.  IT'S FUN !!!!    :-)

There is no other reason required.  It is easy, quick, and a ton of laughs.

• Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
642 posts
26,097 battles

She really is a good ship, but in tier 3... the only thing that counts for her are the fast firing guns. I have an Emden that does that role 1 tier lower and she doesnt suffer so much as a Kolberg when downtiered. And nope! i'm not a Kolberg hater, i loved her "sub-machine guns" when i grinded her, but just nothing that called my attention to keep her in port.

Due to my description you problably already noticed why the hate from the community. Usually who play w/ her are new players, and they dont know to make that ship work u cant stop firing any sec.

[RLGN]
Members
19,122 posts
35,145 battles

let alone the seal-clubbing monster that is Bogatyr.

NYET! Stronk Russian cruiser only for clubbing Polar Bears!

[SKULS]
Members
294 posts
6,994 battles

Kolberg is an awesome shooter all guns, forgot to mention 27 knts.

Edited by CaptDavid
added info

Sign in to follow this