Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pyantoryng

The 15cm guns of German Destroyers

7 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Do the 15cm guns (well, only available on two ships out of eight, Gaede at T6 and Z-23 at T8) suffer or benefit from the unique characteristics of German AP?

The penetration of AP is pretty anomalous as far as I can tell.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Do the 15cm guns (well, only available on two ships out of eight, Gaede at T6 and Z-23 at T8) suffer or benefit from the unique characteristics of German AP?

That's German AP in general. If it's not flat, low damage. That being said yes the German DD' have the higher damage of their cruiser brethren.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

It's rather poor for a 150mm, being even lower than their light cruiser 150mm AP

pAYvOii.png

src: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/59528-armor-penetration-curves/

Though they do retain short fuze times (less overpen) and higher-than-average AP damage... so yes, technically they do benefit from German AP "national flavor"

Edited by Flametz

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

the 150s are awesome, but for their HE fire chance.  I make BBs my primary target and do well above average damage mainly from setting fires.

[BGA]
Alpha Tester
4,051 posts
33,007 battles

I agree that the HE fire chance is where they really shine. Flooding and Fire damage are where it's at for the Germans. However, the 150mm German guns can do some decent damage to close up, broadside ships.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Sounds like Mini-Yorck to me...even the shell flight on the 15cm Gaede reminds me of the Yorck's 21cm when used in hydro range...

Members
164 posts
2,002 battles

Their AP is pretty bad. Unless you're at almost point-blank, they hit at poor angles and bounce against anything not perfectly broadside.

HE is much more useful. I use those against distracted targets or for smoke firing. Unless you hit BB turrets or armor belts it's generally some guaranteed damage and the fire chance is good.

Sign in to follow this