Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PzkwVIB

RPF: It's going to be here, how can we change it?

17 comments in this topic

[DESS]
Beta Testers
183 posts
10,263 battles

Alright, I know there are a lot of threads out there concerning RPF. And most if not all of them are saying to remove it, but WG has stated that it will remain in the game. Instead of saying how problematic it is, let's try and figure out how we could make it work without all of the problems that the current version ensures.

To start this off, I think they could make it a limited distance radial scan that "pulses" every so often.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

I want a switch on my end that lets me turn of my radio (like turning off AA). I would give up the ability to see enemy ship positions as reported by friendlies if I could mask myself from RPT. There could be a 30 second cycle on the switch to keep people from turning it on and off (like once you turn your radio back on, it takes about 30 seconds before you start seeing enemy positions).

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,208 posts
15,770 battles

I don't get the giant brouhaha over this. It is situationally useful at best and there are better uses for the points.

• Cool 1

[DESS]
Beta Testers
183 posts
10,263 battles

Watch how one lone player on a team with RPF can single-handedly turn the tide of a round.

This is exactly what I mean, DD's that rely on stealth are going to be MUCH more exposed, literally. Would you have known that the Shimakaze was there? Probably, from what I can tell he was one of (in not only) DD on their team at that point. By having RPF, you not only knew in what direction he was, but due to the map, could estimate where he was. He had no chance, and mostly because of RPF. I mean, sure you could have probably guessed where he was, but he's faster and stealthier. He could outrun you, but due to his position being hinted at by RPF, you could cut him off. Sure a Shimakaze versus a Minotaur is one sided and he'd have lost an engagement with you anyway, but he could have more or less avoided it if you hadn't been told which direction he was in.
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

This is exactly what I mean, DD's that rely on stealth are going to be MUCH more exposed, literally. Would you have known that the Shimakaze was there? Probably, from what I can tell he was one of (in not only) DD on their team at that point. By having RPF, you not only knew in what direction he was, but due to the map, could estimate where he was. He had no chance, and mostly because of RPF. I mean, sure you could have probably guessed where he was, but he's faster and stealthier. He could outrun you, but due to his position being hinted at by RPF, you could cut him off. Sure a Shimakaze versus a Minotaur is one sided and he'd have lost an engagement with you anyway, but he could have more or less avoided it if you hadn't been told which direction he was in.

More worrying the Minotaur capt took a long time to even figure out that the arrow was pointing away from where he was searching. No awareness but finally it dawned on him to follow the giant half moon.

Too easy

[DESS]
Beta Testers
183 posts
10,263 battles

More worrying the Minotaur capt took a long time to even figure out that the arrow was pointing away from where he was searching. No awareness but finally it dawned on him to follow the giant half moon.

Too easy

That's also true, in its current form, RPF basically adds an "easy mode" to anything in terms of dealing with stealth destroyers. While yes, it won't help those who are truly oblivious, those with even a quarter of a brain who can pay attention to that "little" arrow can find and kill anything that's relying on stealth.
  • Cool 1

[TOXIX]
Members
91 posts
14,945 battles

have solution. shouldn't have been a captain skill

but a module for tier 8 ships and above. so becomes a choice between early dection, or this, or the other modules

known as radar, most later ships had it. so finding other ships was already easier.

islands should "block" the info. just like lof you can't see it.

but i see this changing gameplay significantly

the minotaur player noticed the white arrow / curve. he just waited. once you see it was 90 degrees to his ship, thats when he knew where that ship was

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,120 battles

I dont remember a game were I didnt have a good idea were the DDs are .. seriously the RDF is to pricey and overrated it may however make Potato players a tad better

Beta Testers
42 posts
14,831 battles

That's also true, in its current form, RPF basically adds an "easy mode" to anything in terms of dealing with stealth destroyers. While yes, it won't help those who are truly oblivious, those with even a quarter of a brain who can pay attention to that "little" arrow can find and kill anything that's relying on stealth.

Absolutely correct. I have enough 19 point captains and since the skill tree has very few skills worth taking, it is very easy to spare 4 points for the "skill" that would really be equipment, but acts exactly like clairvoyance. I have a hard time using more than 14 points before wasting the last 5. All it does is take what little fun is left out of the game, but it sure will help my stats. Or it would help my stats if the game weren't so boring with the new skill trees I could play it very much at all anymore. 

[TOXIX]
Members
91 posts
14,945 battles

noticing RDF not being used too much.

it should work with line of sight. and not go through islands. and have a set range. 10km max.

the silly part is...in low tiers no one has it, lots of DD running around. in high tier ... no one uses it because they know how to avoid dd in the first place, or have early detection settings. my one t8 ship i have. have early torp warning and the upgrade mod for additional detection. 

if it was meant for dd determent well..in low tiers its not working, because you don't have access to it. and higher tiers, well we know we can kill a dd fast if needed. 

i'm also disappointed with current skill tree. you wind up with few choices to actually choose.

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

Am I one of the few who thinks it isnt broken?  It is bloody expensive and you get told when you are being tracked.  If you know somebody is potentially there, you can exploit it.  Yeah, sucks for a DD, but he gimped offensive firepower elsewhere...

[DESS]
Beta Testers
183 posts
10,263 battles

Am I one of the few who thinks it isnt broken?  It is bloody expensive and you get told when you are being tracked.  If you know somebody is potentially there, you can exploit it.  Yeah, sucks for a DD, but he gimped offensive firepower elsewhere...

Keep in mind, I made this thread before we new what exactly the skill would entail, if it would be nerfed or something. Now I think it's not really broken, just a bit situational, and unneeded in the game.

[TOXIX]
Members
91 posts
14,945 battles

its still over powered.

i think if it worked like line of sight.

instead of right through islands....

kinda like radar too though :/

it is situational

it still gives you info for where a target is roughly

combine it with team play though, you can triangulate where someone is on the map. 

[TOXIX]
Members
91 posts
14,945 battles

oddly enough the ppl using it the most, from what i've seen

are destroyers. so they can find other destroyers and cruisers quickly and not be surprised

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

oddly enough the ppl using it the most, from what i've seen

are destroyers. so they can find other destroyers and cruisers quickly and not be surprised

I use it as a hunting tool for my RN ships.  Allows me to duck and circle islands and time ambushes etc when I otherwize wouldnt have line of sight or eyes on target.