You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
M3rc13

No caps mode pls

45 comments in this topic

Members
79 posts
7,774 battles

After the dismal week of games where one team always sails back and forth refusing to go near a cap, I have to make a plea to WG to give us one game mode that has no caps. Make the map medium sized and just get it over with. I played three games yesterday and all 3 were over in less than 7 minutes. Today was much the same, with the last one playing out longer, but we won by holding all 3 caps and winning by points. God I'm sick of trying to cap while the team sails behind islands on the c line or whatever and just takes pot shots at the enemies happily watching themselves lose. I don't even mind losing if the battle was good, but how often does that happen? It isn't fun being on the winning team either when the battle ends before you can do much of anything. Get rid of the horrible Bastion mode and replace it with team death match-in case WG didn't notice, that is what the majority of their player base is trying to play. I'd like to get better at his fun game(minus RNG) so please WG give us a mode that isn't lost 2 minutes in because players won't fight over the objectives. Flame retardant is on by the way. 

• Cool 2

[WHS]
Beta Testers
1,073 posts
14,294 battles

I have mixed feelings about this. I feel caps force teams to come together... team deathmatch could probably go on for an hour. There used to be something more like that, and we had lots of draws because the 20 min timer ran out before anyone did anything. Or, more precisely before one team could manage to find all the enemy players hiding in the corners. 

Edit: It's possible I'm remember caps without the scoring too.. either way, no numbers results in draws at least. I feel no caps would be the same. That said, caps are annoyingly arcade-y. I just don't have a good solution myself. 

Edited by TheBlackWind

Members
79 posts
7,774 battles

I have mixed feelings about this. I feel caps force teams to come together... team deathmatch could probably go on for an hour. There used to be something more like that, and we had lots of draws because the 20 min timer ran out before anyone did anything. Or, more precisely before one team could manage to find all the enemy players hiding in the corners. 

Edit: It's possible I'm remember caps without the scoring too.. either way, no numbers results in draws at least. I feel no caps would be the same. That said, caps are annoyingly arcade-y. I just don't have a good solution myself. 

yeah I get it that the mode won't change the players, but a medium sized map should help with that. They could add an optional cap for bonus points that is similar to Epicenter but isn't required for the win. Rewarding objective oriented players would be the only point of the objective. At least that way you aren't punished because you can't carry 9 players heading to their usual spot in the corner.

Beta Testers
3,000 posts
4,522 battles

Then there's nothing keeping one team from getting a kill first, then kiting the rest of the game and forcing the outnumbered enemy into attacking them.

Torpedoes become much more deadly when you're approaching than when you're retreating.

Easier to hit shots on an approaching target than a retreating one.

Not to mention they're forced to do this with a numerical disadvantage.

No, just no.

• Cool 3

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

I'd actually enjoy a simple TDM mode, it fits my mindset due to decades of gaming, and it would fit what most are actually doing.

Members
1,436 posts
9,473 battles

Don't we or didn't we already have a map like that ? I personally hated that map

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,410 battles

Such a sad tale of much a do about nothing. Keep at it though you have Pulitzer potential

Members
1,716 posts
8,224 battles

Death match?  No cap mode, yep, would like to see more of it.  Very frustrating when in a slow moving BB and being left out from getting any cap points as there are those that are in fast movers (DD's) that do nothing other than run from cap point to cap point hoarding them and that is their only intent within the game.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I think you are exaggerating , OP, not all players stay away from caps.

If they stay away from caps they deserve to lose.

You just had some bad luck with bad teams. This happens to us all.

Place the blame where it should really lie - at the WG MM door.

Members
79 posts
7,774 battles

Then there's nothing keeping one team from getting a kill first, then kiting the rest of the game and forcing the outnumbered enemy into attacking them.

Torpedoes become much more deadly when you're approaching than when you're retreating.

Easier to hit shots on an approaching target than a retreating one.

Not to mention they're forced to do this with a numerical disadvantage.

No, just no.

I think you are exaggerating , OP, not all players stay away from caps.

If they stay away from caps they deserve to lose.

You just had some bad luck with bad teams. This happens to us all.

Place the blame where it should really lie - at the WG MM door.

Such a sad tale of much a do about nothing. Keep at it though you have Pulitzer potential

Funny how many alpha/beta testers seem like they play a different game. Sorry I insulted your baby. One game mode wouldn't kill anyone, but from painful experience players use the caps so their teammates can draw fire while they fap around in the back trying to get a kill and don't care if they win or lose. Since the game shifted to the BB "meta" this has become a more prominent problem. AS to the MM being the issue I agree but how is it possible to fix something that is down to how low the entertainment standard is for fapstars? If these testers are representative of the mindset of WG no wonder the game is what it is now. 

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Standard used to not have points and so many games just ended up being draws because people recognized that their team was losing so they just ran away. It was bad because then you just have to wait for the timer to run down and for that draw you know is coming. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,115 posts
30,885 battles

Standard used to not have points and so many games just ended up being draws because people recognized that their team was losing so they just ran away. It was bad because then you just have to wait for the timer to run down and for that draw you know is coming. 

I remember those days.  That was horrible.

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

And people still run away even today with the addition of flat credit costs instead of being based on damage taken as well as Domination points to help prevent draws. Not having a secondary objective just gives people more of an excuse to turn tail and grind the edges.

At least these days battles actually end decisively.

Members
79 posts
7,774 battles

And people still run away even today with the addition of flat credit costs instead of being based on damage taken as well as Domination points to help prevent draws. Not having a secondary objective just gives people more of an excuse to turn tail and grind the edges.

At least these days battles actually end decisively.

Thx for the replies guys-the games do end decisively, if not satisfactorily. I wasn't playing when there were no caps, so I have no bad memories of the time. Maybe when RPF comes along I'll have spidey sense to help me to decide when to get out of the cap before the 5 ships show up to move into the house the owners vacated to live in a cardboard box behind the house. Cheers. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I tend to think of it like WoT.

The primary objective is to kill the other team.

The caps are there for an alternative way to win if necessary, and also can be used to lure enemies, instead of having to dig them out from under rocks.

Members
1,228 posts
6,330 battles

I tend to think of it like WoT.

The primary objective is to kill the other team.

The caps are there for an alternative way to win if necessary, and also can be used to lure enemies, instead of having to dig them out from under rocks.

I tend to think of it like Battlefield on conquest mode, the caps are more important than killing (for the most part). The objective is to get the caps, you just have to kill everyone in your way to get there.

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,145 battles

As CBT showed, this is an idiotic idea, you want deathmatch go get a different game. This game is about playing objectives and the PRIMARY objective is the cap. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

The issue is not that players are afraid of getting near the cap. The issue is that a significant number of players are afraid of dying. Take away the caps - the thing which was actually introduced to try getting players to fight closer - and I bet that nothing will change, as it was what happened in CBT. Players will still cower at the back waiting for somebody else to take the lead. It was the same when the IJN long range torps were nerfed to uselessness. Some thought that BBs would start getting closer. They didn't, and still hid behind islands sniping from max range. Some thought the economy changes which introduced fixed fees, and encouraged tanking would do it. Nope, BBs still at the back, and then coming to complain on the forum about why they are losing credits despite not taking much damage.

WoWs have tried it before in alpha and CBT. Where there was a WoT style standard battle death match (or cap base). All it led to was a large number of draws by timeout.

No OP, imho your idea would not solve anything. It's not the caps which need changing, but the mentality of the playerbase and their primal fear of death and self preservation instinct. Not much WG can do about that, short of giving potatoes extra lives and respawns.

Members
6,888 posts
14,868 battles

Won a game yesterday by capping while a dead player on our team ranted about how worthless we were...  Toxic teammates is a worse problem.

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,819 battles

After the dismal week of games where one team always sails back and forth refusing to go near a cap, I have to make a plea to WG to give us one game mode that has no caps. Make the map medium sized and just get it over with. I played three games yesterday and all 3 were over in less than 7 minutes. Today was much the same, with the last one playing out longer, but we won by holding all 3 caps and winning by points. God I'm sick of trying to cap while the team sails behind islands on the c line or whatever and just takes pot shots at the enemies happily watching themselves lose. I don't even mind losing if the battle was good, but how often does that happen? It isn't fun being on the winning team either when the battle ends before you can do much of anything. Get rid of the horrible Bastion mode and replace it with team death match-in case WG didn't notice, that is what the majority of their player base is trying to play. I'd like to get better at his fun game(minus RNG) so please WG give us a mode that isn't lost 2 minutes in because players won't fight over the objectives. Flame retardant is on by the way. 

I understand your frustration, but as others have noted: we had such a game mode and it did not help. If anything, it was worse and hunting a DD with 8 min left got boring quick. A smaller map might help with that, but it would leave little room for maneuvering for shops which genuinely rely on stealth.

Beta Testers
18 posts
759 battles

I would have it as player preference for death match, cap match, or both; 15 minute (or so) time limit, varying points for killing different ships for the tie breaker.  Perhaps a small map with no torpedo ships. :ohmy: