You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Musicology... how you feel about this list?

6 comments in this topic

Members
167 posts

:hmm:...

Well Jimi Hendrix did play a right handed guitar upside down and restrung backwards, so, that is a challenge 

Edited by Blazinrage

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I think there are a lot of songs that deserved a spot on this list over what was presented. Buckethead was show in the intro before the list started, and many of his songs would be harder to play than even Eruption. No mention of any crazy prog metal like Between the Buried and Me, and I'd also say that Dream Theater has more complex songs than even Dance of Eternity. 

Furthermore, I like that he says at the beginning that they're not counting solos, then talks exclusively about solos for one or two of the songs. Like...what even?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

I think there are a lot of songs that deserved a spot on this list over what was presented. Buckethead was show in the intro before the list started, and many of his songs would be harder to play than even Eruption. No mention of any crazy prog metal like Between the Buried and Me, and I'd also say that Dream Theater has more complex songs than even Dance of Eternity. 

Furthermore, I like that he says at the beginning that they're not counting solos, then talks exclusively about solos for one or two of the songs. Like...what even?

I was thinking the same hence the post... my thing with guitars (played FOR FUN for 20 plus years) was technical virtuosity is one thing but crafting technique, style and emotion a whole nother thing... for example...

When I used to think about a song I liked I would ask myself this:

Suppose you are in jail, solitary confinement. You can listen to only one song but it will play 24hrs a day straight, no break, no interruption, always on, always the same volume level. Just. One. Song. How long? A month. Six months. Year. Forever. 

It really nails down what you like and dislike about a song. :-) Try the thought experiment... it might surprise you. 

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

You don't need to be a musicologist to have to hate WatchMojo. :trollface:

I drew the line on them when they made their list of Top 10 Greatest Anime of All Time, all they did was go down to their local anime club and ask "So what is best?"

Inuyasha? Bleach? Deathnote?   That's like saying Taylor Swift is the greatest musician of all time. Good for those who have a taste for her work, but it's unlikely that she'll stand the test of time like Vivaldi, Holst, Glenn Miller, AC/DC, Pavarotti, Michael Jackson, etc.

Some WatchMojo lists are pretty good, but when you deal with the arts, it's all about opinions, and sometimes those sources are very biased

Edited by Chobittsu