Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SireneRacker

Overmatching and why it's so important

11 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

This guide mainly aims to give those an overview of overmatching who haven't heard of it yet or for those who have some questions.

To put it into one sentence:

Overmatching means that a shell will penetrate a plate of armor regardless of angle as long as it's 14.3 times the size.

To explain it long I will use an example.

Imagine the Mogami (at the moment) at Tier 8. Her bow is protected with 25mm of armor. So according to what I said the shells of the following diameter should overmatch it:

25mm x 14.3 = 357.5mm

A shell with a diameter of 357.5mm or larger should overmatch Mogami's bow, but how does that look in reality?

First a ship that has 356mm guns which is just bit below that line. I am sorry to make you see neon ships but I don't have another ship with these guns.

ZhKg4li.jpg

Hardly a surprise since the angle of impact is far too high. Now let's look at a ship that has guns larger than 357.5mm, in this case the Bayern since she has the smallest guns that exceed our magical number.

QevyBiV.jpg

You see how only 2.4cm of shell size can make a big difference? This explains why it is worth to get fewer but bigger guns at higher Tiers. A Fuso for example would be in the same situation as the Kongo in our example above. The moment a Cruiser shows his bow the damage output will drop rapidly. A Nagato on the other hand has larger guns that will overmatch our Mogami's bow with ease. No angling can protect the Mogami at that point.

So what are the other magic numbers which we should consider?

Good question. I made the math and put it all into a table. I took (almost) all gun calibers and calculated the overmatch-able armor thickness. I then colored the armor thickness according to a color code I will translate later on:

Caliber       Ship examples          maximum overmatch-able armor

76mm         Tachibana                   5.31mm

105mm       Kolberg                       7.34mm

120mm       Minekaze                    8.39mm

127mm       Fletcher                      8.88mm

128mm       Z-46                            8.95mm

130mm       Gnevny                       9.09mm

150mm       Königsberg               10.48mm

152mm       Cleveland                  10.62mm

155mm       Mogami                     10.91mm

180mm       Kirov                          12.58mm

200mm       Furutaka                     13.99mm

203mm       Pensacola                  14.19mm

210mm       Yorck                          14.68mm

220mm       Moskva                       15.38mm

283mm       Graf Spee                   19.79mm

305mm       Ishizuchi                      21.32mm

356mm       Kongou                       24.89mm

380mm       Bismarck                     26.57mm

406mm       North Carolina            28.39mm

410mm       Nagato                        28.67mm

420mm       Großer Kurfürst           29.37mm

460mm       Yamato                        32.17mm

Black means that you won't overmatch anything. And with that I really mean anything.

Light gray means that you can only overmatch the thinnest armor in this game which is for example the armor of open USN DD mounts and the DD superstructure/bow of DDs T3-.

Purple means that you can also overmatch 10mm armor which can be found on mid Tier Destroyers and also some Cruiser of T5 and below.

Blue is the color of those guns that also overmatch 13mm of armor which is the superstructure of T4/5 BBs and the bow armor of T6/7 British Cruiser.

Turquise actually has two typical armor thicknesses that it can overmatch. 16 and 19mm is typical superstructure armor of mid and high Tier BBs as well as mid-Tier Cruiser bow armor.

Green goes the next step and overmatches 25mm of armor, the typical high Tier Cruiser bow armor as well as the bow armor of mid Tier Battleships.

Dark red stands for the largest of guns as they overmatch 32mm of armor which is the bow armor of all high Tier Battleships as well as some armor on high Tier Cruisers.

I hope that this post did help some people to understand why in terms of naval guns size is everything.

The Sirene

• Cool 12

[RLGN]
Members
19,122 posts
35,145 battles

Obviously I'm doing something wrong; fired BB AP at cruiser bows on many occasions and basically got jack squat for my efforts; to the point I generally fire HE when they're bow on instead.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

IIRC, US superheavy has different penetration than normal shells, though it would appear it doesn't factor into overmatching.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

Obviously I'm doing something wrong; fired BB AP at cruiser bows on many occasions and basically got jack squat for my efforts

It all depends on what caliber AP and what tier cruiser.

IIRC, US superheavy has different penetration than normal shells, though it would appear it doesn't factor into overmatching.

Penetration is an entirely different thing from overmatching.

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

Good post.  One minor nitpick, Overmatch does not mean "auto-pen", it just means "no autobounce".  realistically, at the ranges we fight at, BB rounds have enough pen to pen the thin armor angled highly at its high LoS thicknesses, so you don't really see a difference, but it is there.

[RLGN]
Members
19,122 posts
35,145 battles

It all depends on what caliber AP and what tier cruiser.

Of course I understand that; but listening to BB drivers bragging and cruiser drivers complaing about lolpens, and I can't seem to get it to happen with any regularity; the only conclusion I can come to is that I'm doing something wrong.

I've had more bow/stern-on citadels with HE than AP...

Sign in to follow this