Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Emothic

New Player With General Questions.

39 comments in this topic

Members
184 posts
181 battles

Edit: Please ignore the trolling derailing posts in this thread. The individuals have already been reported and many posts will hopefully be deleted soon. 

Hello, I'm Emothic. A veteran player of World of Tanks, newer player of World of Warships. Though I haven't played WoT in a few years. Anyways I have some general questions about this game, these questions are.

1.) How do I change the text chat color? It is quite difficult for me to read the Aqua Green color text.

2.) How do I display players names on their ships during battles? It's quite difficult to know who's near me if I need to communicate with them. 

3.) How do I select a grid square on the map? I'm getting confused on which key to hit as I keep engaging autopilot.

4.) How do I manage my secondary and AA guns, such as turning them on and off and selecting new targets? I'm not use to the amount of keys for a game like this.

5.) When are the proper times to use HE and AP shells? I have a difficult time trying to figure out.

6.) Which nation has the best Battleships? To elaborate, which nation is the most fun to play as a battleship, not in terms of how powerful they are. Just for fun.  

7.) I notice that I still have about 3,500 Gold on my profile from playing WoT's. Is there anyways I can transfer that over to this game?

I think that's all the questions I have for now. Looking forward to getting many hours onto the game.

Edited by Emothic

Members
37 posts
14 battles

THE FAMILY GREETINGS YOUR EDGYNESS. I AM HONORED THAT YOU HAVE GRACED US LESSER BEINGS WITH YOUR PRESENCE. TRULY IN THE GLORIOUS MOMENT WE ARE ALL PART OF #THEFAMILY.

WHILE IM NOT WORTHY OF ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS FOR FEAR THAT YOU WILL MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTER ME AND DRINK MY BLOOD I DO FEEL THE NEED TO INFORM YOU THAT UNFORTUNATELY THAT WORLD OF WARSHIPS WILL FAIL TO SATISFY YOUR UNQUENCHABLE FIRST FOR THE SLAUGHTER, DEATH, AND HORRORS OF WAR THAT SATISFY YOU SO MUCH. PLEASE FORGIVE ME YOUR EDGINESS AND PUT IN A GOOD WORD FOR ME TO YOUR MASTER.

MAY THE POOLS OF BLOOD RUN CRIMSON WITH YOUR GODLY PRESENCE AND YOUR FAMILY REMAIN EDGY FOR ALL ETERNITY

YOURS TRULY, A DEDICATED FOLLOWER OF THE HELLSING ORGANIZATION.  

Content Moderated by Mezurashi.

Edited by Mezurashi
  • Cool 6

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

That is a lot of questions. You should go through some YouTube videos on when to use HE versus AP. It isn't as simple as broadside or not as it depends on your guns and the target and things like distance.

You can't change chat at this time to my knowledge in the vanilla client. Maybe look for a mod that allows for this.

If you don't use the alternative battle interface, you can hit the ALT key to bring up more information on ships.

It is generally Ctrl-click to click on a square on the mini-map unless you are in a Carrier.

Secondary guns are automatic unless you have manual secondaries (captain skill). You can Ctrl-click a ship to have it "focus" that ship but it doesn't really do much unless your captain has manual secondaries.

Fun depends on what you enjoy. German Battleships are generally the most fun if you like to mix it up instead of sitting back.

WG NA does not allow transferring gold at this time. WG EU was allowing it if you opened a ticket and had over 5k gold, but WG NA has said no (which I am really pissed about as I have a ton of gold in WoT that I will never use and I already have over 1200 days of premium time).

• Cool 1

[HOTH]
Beta Testers
337 posts
6,812 battles

Hello, I'm Emothic. A veteran player of World of Tanks, newer player of World of Warships. Though I haven't played WoT in a few years. Anyways I have some general questions about this game, these questions are.

1.) How do I change the text chat color? It is quite difficult for me to read the Aqua Green color text. Don't think you can.

2.) How do I display players names on their ships during battles? It's quite difficult to know who's near me if I need to communicate with them.  Alt key in battle, or in controls check the alternate battle interface box.

3.) How do I select a grid square on the map? I'm getting confused on which key to hit as I keep engaging autopilot. L.Ctrl and double click on the square

4.) How do I manage my secondary and AA guns, such as turning them on and off and selecting new targets? I'm not use to the amount of keys for a game like this. "P" key turns AA on and off, 2nds fire automatically but you can designate targets by L.Ctrl and clicking on the target. An icon will appear that you have targeted that unit.

5.) When are the proper times to use HE and AP shells? I have a difficult time trying to figure out. Depends on a lot of factors. Best to search and read. ie: HE for thin skinned targets, AP for everything else.

6.) Which nation has the best Battleships? To elaborate, which nation is the most fun to play as a battleship, not in terms of how powerful they are. Just for fun.  Totally depends on you. Each line evolves and changes as you progress. Basically, IJN snipers, U.S. AA and "bow in" play style, KM plays with torps and great secondary batteries as close in brawlers.

7.) I notice that I still have about 3,500 Gold on my profile from playing WoT's. Is there anyways I can transfer that over to this game? No

I think that's all the questions I have for now. Looking forward to getting many hours onto the game.

Edited by EmGee42
  • Cool 1

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
207 posts
17,520 battles

You can manipulate the colours (in a manner of speaking) and that will affect the chat text. There are settings called "Alternative Color Filters" at the bottom of the graphics settings tab. They were put in to help people with colour blindness. You could try adjusting that to see if it helps but keep in mind, if affects the entire game and not just chat.

• Cool 2

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

1.) How do I change the text chat color? It is quite difficult for me to read the Aqua Green color text.

2.) How do I display players names on their ships during battles? It's quite difficult to know who's near me if I need to communicate with them. 

3.) How do I select a grid square on the map? I'm getting confused on which key to hit as I keep engaging autopilot.

4.) How do I manage my secondary and AA guns, such as turning them on and off and selecting new targets? I'm not use to the amount of keys for a game like this.

5.) When are the proper times to use HE and AP shells? I have a difficult time trying to figure out.

6.) Which nation has the best Battleships? To elaborate, which nation is the most fun to play as a battleship, not in terms of how powerful they are. Just for fun.  

7.) I notice that I still have about 3,500 Gold on my profile from playing WoT's. Is there anyways I can transfer that over to this game?

1. Ask that on the Mods and Add-ons sub=forum in the Off-Topic forum, some of the more savvy players may know how to mod that up.
  2. Hold down alt key, or find an OTM (Over-Target Marker) mod that does it for you
  3. Hold down Left Control and double click on the square. This works both on the large map and the minimap
  4. Hold down Left Control and click on enemy ships, this increases AA Efficiency by 30% and Secondary Accuracy. You can not control them to any finer degree than this. The P key can be pressed to turn off your secondaries and Anti-Aircraft suite, but they can't be turned off individually.
  5. If an enemy is heading toward or away from you and you can not reliably hit their superstructures or penetrate their bow or aft armor, use HE. Use HE against ships larger than you most of the time, and in destroyer versus destroyer engagements. AP can be used if you can reliably farm penetration or citadel damage on broadside ships.
  6. None, they all have their quirks. USA begins with "Standard Battleships" which are short ranged, ponderously slow, and have many guns; they evolve into fast battleships with relatively good horizontal dispersion, poor broadside armor, and forgiving AP. Japan is a mixture, but will outrange USA until Tier 8, their battleships culminate into Yamato, the heaviest armored and armed ship in the game. Germany starts off with ponderously slow and under-armed but extremely well armored WW1 super-dreadnoughts up until Tier 7, where they gain significant amounts of speed and turtleback armor layouts that make them functionally immune to citadels at close range.
  7. Unfortunately not. Premium time does carry over, though.
  • Cool 1

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

When you load into game and are waiting for the counter to get to 0 hit the M key on your keyboard this will bring up the tactical map showing true headings of all visable ships something the minimap does not at all times do, this also showes what a lot of keys are for plus what armaments and consumables are on your ship if you place your cursor on lets say the shells it will bring up a box showing Range, load times size, damage shells can do ,everything on ship is here with info ...Goodluck

• Cool 1

Members
184 posts
181 battles

Fun depends on what you enjoy. German Battleships are generally the most fun if you like to mix it up instead of sitting back.

I'm curious on the multiple ways a BB could be played, as in one is best as a sniper and one is best as a brawler. Though I don't know why I was surprised by this when first reading. The same.. mechanic was used in WoT. So can you please tell me on how the German battleships are different compared to others, seeing as how they could "mix it up". As well as, what would be a good BB class brawler?

THE FAMILY GREETINGS YOUR EDGINESS. I AM HONORED THAT YOU HAVE GRACED US LESSER BEINGS WITH YOUR PRESENCE. TRULY IN THE GLORIOUS MOMENT WE ARE ALL PART OF #THEFAMILY.

WHILE IM NOT WORTHY OF ANSWERING YOUR QUESTIONS FOR FEAR THAT YOU WILL MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTER ME AND DRINK MY BLOOD I DO FEEL THE NEED TO INFORM YOU THAT UNFORTUNATELY THAT WORLD OF WARSHIPS WILL FAIL TO SATISFY YOUR UNQUENCHABLE FIRST FOR THE SLAUGHTER, DEATH, AND HORRORS OF WAR THAT SATISFY YOU SO MUCH. PLEASE FORGIVE ME YOUR EDGINESS AND PUT IN A GOOD WORD FOR ME TO YOUR MASTER.

MAY THE POOLS OF BLOOD RUN CRIMSON WITH YOUR GODLY PRESENCE AND YOUR FAMILY REMAIN EDGY FOR ALL ETERNITY

YOURS TRULY, A DEDICATED FOLLOWER OF THE HELLSING ORGANIZATION.  

I am not at all surprised to see you here on the forums. Even though I haven't played WoT in several years, the memories quickly flooded back as soon as I had read your username. Yet a few things are expected to be responded to with this comment of yours.

First of all.. Edginess? Just because I had a vastly different opinion compared to the majority of the WoT community, does not make me edgy. Lesser beings? I am unsure as to why you would want to describe yourself like that. Although I am fully aware you are joking.

Secondly, fear is just a rational emotion to everyday dangers. One danger is death, of which is what you are feeling. Fear is merely and obstacle that can be overcome with time and effort. Why I simply recite the Hellsing moto when I feel fear overcome me. Another thing, if you are in fear of me mercilessly slaughtering you. Then need not worry, I don't find enjoyment killing those who don't fight back. I mean what's the fun in just killing someone if they aren't trying to kill you? 

Third, you are incorrect that WoWS will not satisfy me in the acts of war. A quote from an... individual: "Wars across prairies, in grasslands, in streets, in trenches. In frozen tundra's, in searing deserts, in the sea, in the air. I love every act of war that can occur upon this earth!"

And finally. Godly presence? Someone or something that is godly would entice that they could be unkillable or immortal. I can be killed, that's what makes war so exciting. The constant fear of death and non-stop fighting to survive. Also it is not my family. To say that it is my would to mean that I am the leader of it. Incorrect. I am nothing more than a simple soldier in it.

Now I must say that this trip down memory lane was quite... enlightening. I will say that the only thing that actually annoyed me out of all of this, was the unnecessary use of a 24pt text size, Bolded words, and all capital letters. The comment itself was not annoying, it was quite entertaining to act against. But was again the 24pt size text, and you get the rest. 

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

I'm curious on the multiple ways a BB could be played, as in one is best as a sniper and one is best as a brawler. Though I don't know why I was surprised by this when first reading. The same.. mechanic was used in WoT. So can you please tell me on how the German battleships are different compared to others, seeing as how they could "mix it up". As well as, what would be a good BB class brawler?

Germans brawl best with their superior armor layouts, excellent secondary arrays, and decent maneuverability. Their guns are ridiculously inaccurate above 12km anyway. Early Americans brawl relatively well with good turning radii and plenty of guns, this makes up for their low range and accuracy. Yamato can brawl, but her turrets turn punitively slow and she's not the most maneuverable. As far as it goes: Germans Melee, Americans Mid-Range, and Japanese can snipe or mid-range.
  • Cool 1

Members
1,348 posts
13,885 battles

I don't know... I just spin the free look mode until it's against a decent background. 

Two ways 1) Press the "ALT" key during the game.  2) Change settings to alternate display (very, very useful)

Click it hold ALT

Use "P" to turn on and off AA guns. You can't turn off secondaries. 
Press CTRL during a game to active the mouse pointer, then select the ship, aircraft you want to target. 

There have been tomes written on this. In GENERAL, BBs use AP... it takes too long to reload to just switch whenever. Most cruisers use AP against other cruisers and HE against BBs and DDs. DDs almost always use HE. 
That's in general, specific ships need review (compare AP vs HE damage, armor penetration values, potential target's armor values, angle of attack, etc). 99% of the time, I just use the what I gave you. 

In general, I have more fun in the German and Japanese battleships. US BBs tend to be slower, with shorter range cannons. Though, if you like to get up in someone's face, they are really good at it. IJN BBs are snipers, with long range guns. Germans also tend to be close in ships, but with slightly better guns for their tier compared to US BBs. 

I don't think so. 

Edited by Mezurashi
  • Cool 1

Members
184 posts
181 battles

YOU ARE MISTAKEN M'LORD FOR I AM FROM THE FORUMS OF LORD ANTON YUDINTSEV OF THE GAIJIN ESTATE M'LORD. HAD WE MET ON THE WOT FORUMS IM SURE THAT I WOULD REMEMBER SUCH AN ENCOUNTER. PERHAPS THE DARK POWERS HAVE CORRUPTED YOUR MEMORIES.

I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND WITH MY DISCOURSE M'LORD, IN FACT I DESCRIBED YOU AS EDGY AS A COMPLEMENT AND YOU ARE BY FAR THE EDGIEST BEING I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. 

I AM NOT JOKING, I DARE NOT DO SO IN YOUR PRESENCE. THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT YOU ARE JUST A SUPERIOR BEING TO MANY OF US, THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE MASTERED YOUR DARK ENERGY AND EMOTIONS IS A TESTAMENT TO THIS.

THANK YOU BLESSING ME WITH YOUR WISE WORDS M'LORD. YOU ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT THE EDGE MASTER OF OUR AGE, I FEEL LIKE MY WRISTS ARE ABOUT THE BURST WITH THE POWER OF 10000 CUTS FROM A RAZOR JUST TAKING IN YOUR PHILOSOPHY. 

I MUST ALSO THANK YOU FOR PUTTING MY MIND AT EASE AND BESTOWING UPON ME YOUR WORDS NOTIFYING ME OF MY SAFETY, YOU ARE NOT ONLY EDGY BUT KIND. 

I ASK OF YOU TO FORGIVE ME FOR MY IGNORANCE M'LORD FOR I AM BUT A HUMBLE SERVANT TO THE DARK ONES SUCH AS YOURSELF. MAY THE OCEANS BE STAINED RED WITH THE BLOOD OF YOUR VICTIMS.

ONCE AGAIN I OFFER MY SINCERE CONDOLENCES FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING M'LORD. I HAVE DISGRACED MYSELF IN YOUR PRESENCE AND OFFER MY MOST HUMBLE OF APOLOGIES, BUT WITH ALL DUE RESPECT SIR, EVEN MORTALS SUCH AS US CAN BE SEEN AS GODLIKE. TO US NORMAL BEINGS WE CAN'T HELP BUT ASSOCIATE YOUR POWER WITH THAT OF THE OLD IMMORTALS OF THE PAST.

LORD EMOTHIC UNNECESSARILY LARGE TEXT SIZE AND FONT IS TO SHOW HOW HIGHLY I THINK OF YOU. IF YOU FEEL OFFENDED BY THIS I MUST ONCE AGAIN OFFER MY SINCERE APOLOGIES. IT IS NOT EVERY DAY I GET TO MEET ONE OF THE DARK ONES IN PERSON.

THE FAMILY GREETINGS, MAY YOUR EDGE SPREAD THROUGHOUT THE WORLD AND YOUR EMOTIONS REMAIN DARK.

I have already indulged your humor once, that's all you are going to get from me.

[SALVO]
Members
16,428 posts
10,183 battles

Hi, Welcome to WoWS,

German BB armor scheme, is more vulnerable to plunging fire at long ranges but very good at short ranges when receiving more "horizontal" fire, also their guns are more innacurate. They have very good secondaries and/or torpedoes, which probes deadly in a brawl. Their speed and turning is average for BB standards (at tier 7 it improves to very good). They favour a general "in your face" playstyle and are a very fun line to play and somewhat forgiving and new player friendly. The german BB line is a very good way to start this game.

IJN are classed as snipers because their guns have the best range (though not so gun accuracy) and they have poor armor scheme, at lower tiers they are quite fast and more in line with a Battlecruiser concept, so maybe it isn't the best idea to get in a brawl with a better suited BB. It doesn't mean they have to be played as snipers to be effective, quite the contrary, you need to get closer to mitigate the bad accuracy of their guns, just not as close as in a german BB. IJN BBs are a lot of fun too.

USN BBs are slow and ponderous (until T8) and thus might be the most boring to play, but they have excelent and numerous guns, think of them as floating batteries.

Try the other classes too, to have a better understanding of game mechanics, though if you are experienced in WoT, the transition is very easy and smooth. One last thing, don't rush up the ladder, T4 and below are very comfortable, enjoy your time there. T5 and up things get serious and you'll be bottom tier a lot of times, it is still very fun, just as long as you keep your expectations in check.

Have fun and may RNGesus smile upon you.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

there are no snipers that would be considered effective as BB in the game and brawling is situation .  some of the russian cruisers are sniping fire breathers, but mostly against BB.    most of the battle is about mid range probing attacks or kiting as the situation may be until opportunity comes to push home.  rarely in NA server, would you see a true brawl.  best brawlin BB is KM for   sure though.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

-snip-

Hey, sorry to be a pain, but you might wanna change the color of your responses. Red is reserved for mods, and regular members like you and I aren't allowed to use that color text

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Welcome to WoWs! Glad o have you aboard!

1. outside of mods, I don't believe this is possible.

2. There's an alternate battle interface, although if you just hit and hold the 'alt' key it allows you to see more information, such as range to target, health of target, name, all that fun stuff.

3. Double click on the minimap in the bottom corner. Don't ever go to the big map unless you wish to set a course for the autopilot.

4. 'P' will automatically shut off all AA and secondary guns-- something you should do on all your destroyers. Otherwise, it's not really that useful to deactivate them. It's only done on DDs (destroyers) because their secondaries (if they have them) and AA are usually useless, and you get stealth penalties for firing with them.

Otherwise, they will automatically engage anything within their range, although you can get them to focus fire targets by pressing ctrl and clicking on them. This works for both AA and secondary guns.

5. AP is best used on targets showing you the flat side of their ships, and it's best to aim at the middle of the ships. Battleships will almost always fire AP, unless a target is angels or bow onto them and they can't penetrate them (usually only other BBs can do this). Destroyers should almost always spam HE, although some like the Russians and Americans can fire AP at the sides of cruisers if they get the opportunity. Cruisers are the ships that really need to worry about what ammo to use and when. Against other cruisers, AP is good unless they're angled. AP can, in some cases, be useful against battleships, although HE tends to be the better choice. If you're shooting at DDs in any kind of ship, use HE. AP tends to overpen DDs quite easily, and isn't as good at damaging modules.

6. It depends on wha you find fun. The Japanese are the fastest, and have the longest-ranged, most accurate guns. They're better off sniping than brawling against other BBs, although they can close on cruisers easily if they wish. The Germans are best at balls-to-the-wall brawling, their guns are faster firing, but usually inferior to that of other BBs at the same tier, and their speed ranges from mediocre to fast. Their armor is weakest at long range, but very tough at close ranges, and their secondary batteries are excellent. Their inferior firepower is less of an issue at these ranges too. They're probably the most fun. The US BBs... well, that's basically slow, durable, but heavy-firepower ships, with good AA, until high tigers where they're more fragile, but have very good speed.

7. Not that I know of.

[SOTW]
Members
345 posts
7,799 battles

If you go to "Your Control Panel" you can click on "Your Settings".  From there you can select the "Ignore Preferences".  From there you can add YanderesFTW to your list and block this person in their entirety.  You will not see what they even exist.

These people thrive on attention.  Deny them that and they go some place else.  Do NOT get sucked-in.  BLOCK them.  It works.

Members
37 posts
14 battles

I remembered u from WT! My nickname was kuuderesFTW but you deleted me on your friends list:(

Are you sure? I never remove anyone if they add me. Could have been due to the forum change where I think they removed the friends list and replaced it with this crappy blog 'follower' crap.
  • Cool 1

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

With all due respect to you, because I do not know who you are, but I think your rude for typing in large letters, boldfaced at that, in order to give someone crap, regardless of what your past history is with someone. If someone comes asking for help, don't be a jerk dude.

Edited by Mezurashi
  • Cool 2

[JSG]
Beta Testers
160 posts
2,309 battles

I second getting german BBs. They are awesome and great overall. Their only downside is they usually have less big gun firepower than the other 2 trees but have better secondaries and really tough armour.

Members
60 posts
63 battles

With all due respect to you, because I do not know who you are, but I think your rude for typing in large letters, boldfaced at that, in order to give someone crap, regardless of what your past history is with someone. If someone comes asking for help, don't be a jerk dude.

LORD EMOTHIC IS ONLY WORTHY OF SUCH PRAISE IN 26 PRINT BOLDED TIMES NEW ROMAN. HIS EDGINESS IS TOO MIGHTY FOR BABOONS SUCH AS OURSELVES TO GRACE OUR EYES UPON. OUR LORD OF EDGINESS HAS BEEN SINCE BANISHED FROM KINGDOMS OF LORD ANTON IT IS ONLY PROPER TO ADDRESS HIS EDGINESS IN THE PROPER TONE TO WHICH HE RIGHTFULLY DESERVES.

#

T

H

E

F

A

M

I

L

Y

I SECRETLY ADMIRE OUR HOLY EDGINESS OF THE LORD HELLSING FAMILY OF EDGINESS ENMORTEM. 

Edited by Mezurashi
  • Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,428 posts
10,183 battles

Lol, wth is happening here?

seems we got ourselves a new soap opera

Members
192 posts
1,647 battles

Aslains modpack is great for colorblind stuff bud for chat an listing players names above their head an in mini map.  I am bigtime colorblind as well.

Welcome to WoWS however!   Just be prepared for 2/3 of your team not to care about winning or they will at least act like it.   Stick with anyone who seems to know what theyre doing but it'll be hard to tell at first lol

But try Aslains tho, lotta mods that should have been in game but it's WG.  

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

LORD EMOTHIC IS ONLY WORTHY OF SUCH PRAISE IN 26 PRINT BOLDED TIMES NEW ROMAN. HIS EDGINESS IS TOO MIGHTY FOR BABOONS SUCH AS OURSELVES TO GRACE OUR EYES UPON. OUR LORD OF EDGINESS HAS BEEN SINCE BANISHED FROM KINGDOMS OF LORD ANTON IT IS ONLY PROPER TO ADDRESS HIS EDGINESS IN THE PROPER TONE TO WHICH HE RIGHTFULLY DESERVES.

#

T

H

E

F

A

M

I

L

Y

I SECRETLY ADMIRE OUR HOLY EDGINESS OF THE LORD HELLSING FAMILY OF EDGINESS ENMORTEM. 

This is what happens when you give a 12 year old a Mic and a credit card.

Sign in to follow this