You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AlcatrazNC

CV Aircraft/Catapult Fighter spotting torps

14 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
2,062 posts
9,495 battles

Hello 

I'm currently grinding my Kagerou, hoping i'll be able one day to play the Shimakaze but honestly it become really frustrating to see so many mean to spot torpedoes. I don't mind if my torps are spotted by Hydro or another ship, it's something normal but a single catapult fighter or CV's aircraft spotting a wall of torps in less than 1 sec ? It's absurd, my only way to do damage is with torps since gun ar garbage, you can only barely kill another DD or do damage on other ship.

When i'm facing some BB or cruiser i'm able to sneak close to them and drop my torps and then the catapult fighter come 4KM in front of my torps and....he keep sailing in straight line (well it happens sometime though) he turns back and i'm useless for 1 min and 30 sec. Same things for the CV's aircraft, when i'm smoking and waiting for ennemi aircraft to go away, a single squadron that pass like a half second above my smoke is spotting my 8 torps and once again...useless for 1 min and 30 sec

Another thing that really bother me are invisible aircraft. When i'm capping sometime i'm being spotted by an aircraft but i can't even see the aircraft unless he's 1KM above me or something like that. My detectability by air is 3.5KM if i'm not wrong and i can't even see the aircraft ? It's clearly a bug since sometime i'm able to see aircraft at 5KM behind a mountain and my AA are able to shoot through the mountain.

I think catapult fighter should not be able to spot torps, it will force people to use hydro and it will enhance the role of cruiser. About CV Aircraft i think they should be flying above the torps for like 8 sec in order to spot all torps.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[AAG]
Beta Testers
69 posts
3,094 battles

This is something I would agree with, and I play BBs fairly often.  I don't have any beef with torps being spotted by hydro, or another enemy ship (that's part of their job) but fighters....their job is to well, fight, to tie up enemy aircraft for just a few seconds and give your AA some support.  That they've become the new Hydro search, and the fact that they last for up to 6 min if not shot down....annoying.  You know it's bad when battleships prefer fighters over the spotter aircraft that are intended to give them their phenomenal range.

Beta Testers
1,134 posts
2,741 battles

Don't worry Mister Kagero. Soon, all crews can have Telepaths that will not only be able to tell the direction of the nearest enemy regardless of range or barriers, but also be able to tell if you are being actively targeted as well.

Have fun with the newest World of Simpletons captain skills!

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

That's never going to happen.

What they SHOULD do, though. Is increase torpedo detect-ability based on how far the torp has traveled. So instead of IJN torps starting are 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever, they should start at 1.5 and gradually increase until they are at 2.5 near the end of their life. It would reward close in DD players, yet still punish long range spammers.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,062 posts
9,495 battles

That's never going to happen.

What they SHOULD do, though. Is increase torpedo detect-ability based on how far the torp has traveled. So instead of IJN torps starting are 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever, they should start at 1.5 and gradually increase until they are at 2.5 near the end of their life. It would reward close in DD players, yet still punish long range spammers.

"Long range spammer"  Have you read what i wrote ? When playing IJN DD compared to other DD you're really usefull once every 1 min 30. A whole game last 20 min. You can cap and smoke your team but if all these things are already done by other DD, then you can only sneak and spot ennemi while waiting for your torps. However spotting ennemi doesn't reward you that much and a Russian DD or USN DD could both spot and shoot the ennemi so it leaves you totally useless and at the end you lose money because you're not a premium player 

Also at low tier IJN DD have longe range but slow speed.  62kts is slow when you know your torps are detected at 1.6km while USN have something like 62kts but detected at 1.2-1.4km. At high tier with the Kagerou, the 67 kts torps are pretty decent but with radar, hydro and planes you're not encouraged to close the distance between you and the ennemi. Actually risking your ship doesn't reward you that much for a torp boat. Don't get me wrong, when it work it feels really good but if the player is not dumb he will simply turn back and your torps will miss and at this tier all BB/CA or even CV have pretty good speed and both Kagerou and Yugumo are slow with 35 kts max speed. 

Don't worry Mister Kagero. Soon, all crews can have Telepaths that will not only be able to tell the direction of the nearest enemy regardless of range or barriers, but also be able to tell if you are being actively targeted as well.

Have fun with the newest World of Simpletons captain skills!

I just saw how Flamu managed to invisible torp a Khabarosk just with this skill. To me this skill should be removed but on the other hand its take you 4 point so you'll be giving up several usefull perk. I don't know what to think about this skill.

@Adder007USA You just gave me an idea : how about making the spotting aircraft a tool for BB to actually spot everything (ship and torpedoes included) . To me it sounds pretty good because you'll have to make a choice between a better AA cover with the fighter or a better chance of avoiding torps. Currently only cruiser have to make a choice between Defensive AA or Hydro (basically a better air cover or a better chance to avoid torps and spot ship), it would be the same thing for the BB. Honestly when i'm playing BB i never take the spotting aicraft since it can be killed pretty easily and when it's down well you lose your ability to snipe. Also i suck at aiming with the spotter aircraft it's another reason xD..

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

I also think that aircraft should not spot torpedoes. It's not a big problem right now, because CVs are rare, but imagine if there was a CV in every match. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

Hello 

I'm currently grinding my Kagerou, hoping i'll be able one day to play the Shimakaze but honestly it become really frustrating to see so many mean to spot torpedoes. I don't mind if my torps are spotted by Hydro or another ship, it's something normal but a single catapult fighter or CV's aircraft spotting a wall of torps in less than 1 sec ? It's absurd, my only way to do damage is with torps since gun ar garbage, you can only barely kill another DD or do damage on other ship.

When i'm facing some BB or cruiser i'm able to sneak close to them and drop my torps and then the catapult fighter come 4KM in front of my torps and....he keep sailing in straight line (well it happens sometime though) he turns back and i'm useless for 1 min and 30 sec. Same things for the CV's aircraft, when i'm smoking and waiting for ennemi aircraft to go away, a single squadron that pass like a half second above my smoke is spotting my 8 torps and once again...useless for 1 min and 30 sec

Another thing that really bother me are invisible aircraft. When i'm capping sometime i'm being spotted by an aircraft but i can't even see the aircraft unless he's 1KM above me or something like that. My detectability by air is 3.5KM if i'm not wrong and i can't even see the aircraft ? It's clearly a bug since sometime i'm able to see aircraft at 5KM behind a mountain and my AA are able to shoot through the mountain.

I think catapult fighter should not be able to spot torps, it will force people to use hydro and it will enhance the role of cruiser. About CV Aircraft i think they should be flying above the torps for like 8 sec in order to spot all torps.

I also think that aircraft should not spot torpedoes. It's not a big problem right now, because CVs are rare, but imagine if there was a CV in every match. 

This is something I would agree with, and I play BBs fairly often.  I don't have any beef with torps being spotted by hydro, or another enemy ship (that's part of their job) but fighters....their job is to well, fight, to tie up enemy aircraft for just a few seconds and give your AA some support.  That they've become the new Hydro search, and the fact that they last for up to 6 min if not shot down....annoying.  You know it's bad when battleships prefer fighters over the spotter aircraft that are intended to give them their phenomenal range.

This mechanic is there to prevent the nightmare of the Shimas from occurring ever again. When the game was released torpedo boats were extremely OP, and ships like Shimas would finish a match w/ 300k dmg without even trying. It was so bad, the team that had the Shima basically was guaranteed to be the victor at the end of the match. Every single nerf to IJN DDs that has been implemented ever since has been implemented to bring the IJN DDs to the same level as DDs of other nations (Hydro, Spotter planes, extended detection on long range torps, decreased torp speed and etc).

Btw its only a matter of time until Shiratsuyu loses its torpedo reload consumable, mark my words its coming. Spamming 16 torps at tier 7? Yea thats not going to last for long.

Edited by Ulthwey

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

This mechanic is there to prevent the nightmare of the Shimas from occurring ever again. When the game was released torpedo boats were extremely OP, and ships like Shimas would finish a match w/ 300k dmg without even trying. It was so bad, the team that had the Shima basically was guaranteed to be the victor at the end of the match. Every single nerf to IJN DDs that has been implemented ever since has been implemented to bring the IJN DDs to the same level as DDs of other nations (Hydro, Spotter planes, extended detection on long range torps, decreased torp speed and etc).

Btw its only a matter of time until Shiratsuyu loses its torpedo reload consumable, mark my words its coming. Spamming 16 torps at tier 7? Yea thats not going to last for long.

Um....no. Every nerf to IJN DDs has been implemented to bring them to the same level as DDs of other nations? You take a look at the server stats, and tell me that again. Also, the mechanic doesn't only affect IJN DDs, it also affects KM and USN DDs. So your argument is completely baseless. 

And as you have already admitted, the IJN DDs, as well as all the other DDs, have already been hit with many nerfs. So why exactly is it that this specific mechanic is needed to keep destroyers in check? 

Edited by Aduial

Members
1,842 posts
5,760 battles

Why should Planes not spot torps. My uncle was a bridge officer on a Cleveland class cruiser we discussed ship operations many times. When they thought a sub was in the area the float plane would be launched to orbit the ship for the reason of locating torp trails. It is a realistic mechanic to the game.:look:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,973 posts
3,895 battles

Why should Planes not spot torps. My uncle was a bridge officer on a Cleveland class cruiser we discussed ship operations many times. When they thought a sub was in the area the float plane would be launched to orbit the ship for the reason of locating torp trails. It is a realistic mechanic to the game.:look:

The problem is that torpedoes remain spotted once the plane leaves visual range of them. That is the problem.

If you want to keep the torpedoes spotted, you should commit planes to keeping them lit. Same as a ship.

I have no problem with planes spotting torpedoes. I have problems with torpedoes remaining marked and spotted long after the plane has left their vicinity.

[NOOBS]
Members
14 posts
881 battles

Phenomenal Range yes but the chance to hit at that Phenomenal Range is so low it makes the spotter plane worthless.  First, you have the human element your target can change speed and direction.  Then you have dispersion and finally, you have ridiculous RNG so yes spotter planes for BB's can be a poor choice.    There is one BB that I think a spotter could be good with and that is the North Carolina where you can get 32K range.  Plunging fire should get citadel's at that range for devastating effect for unsuspecting targets.

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

Because it's harmful for game balance. And also, there are many things that are not realistic in this game: radar going through islands, planes pulling 180 turns on a dime, planes spotting through islands, ships turning at speeds that would have broken their hulls IRL, et cetera. 

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

Phenomenal Range yes but the chance to hit at that Phenomenal Range is so low it makes the spotter plane worthless.  First, you have the human element your target can change speed and direction.  Then you have dispersion and finally, you have ridiculous RNG so yes spotter planes for BB's can be a poor choice.    There is one BB that I think a spotter could be good with and that is the North Carolina where you can get 32K range.  Plunging fire should get citadel's at that range for devastating effect for unsuspecting targets.

This is true. I find spotter planes useless on pretty much all battleships. 

[WOLFB]
Members
2,062 posts
9,495 battles

Currently the 20km torps sucks hard : 62 kts speed and detected at 2.5km. In the past she was probably OP but now, USN DD are more OP compared to other DD since they are good in everything. They can cap, contest a point, doing damage with gun AND torps, best smoke in the game... Only the Khabarosk was able to compete with him. Now there is the Z 52 (don't remember the name of the germain DD) that might compete with other T10 DD but since you can't really use your gun because of the penalty after shooting you might want to only use your torps. But even with a torps boat focused, she seems to perform almost better than the Shimakaze due to the "quick reload" and the detectability. You do less damage than the Shimakaze but a torps still a torps and being hit by a torps always hurt.

I don't think Damage Saturation is a realistic mechanic xD . It's a game and not a simulation. Maybe it's realist but sometime you just can't put too much realism if you want to balance things.