You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kaa1el

90% games ruined by invisible HE and TORP, how to counter this?

46 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
135 posts

I literally tried everything to avoid HE spam and TORP spam, but I still couldn't beat these two game mechanics. First I saw an enemy DD incoming on my port side but it was lit for only 1 second, so I turned my guns towards him. After half a minute, he teleported to my starboard side and launched 30 torpedoes to me. I dodged most of them, but still got hit by 4. 80% of my hp gone. Then he started popping white stuff and started to invisible shooting at me, I couldn't see him. I tried to fire at these spots where the shots show their traces, 12 shots, 0 hit. Then I died from flooding and fire. This is happening to every single game and it is very frustrating. Is there anything I can do to counter this?

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Git gud. To avoid torps, don't sail in straight lines. To avoid HE, don't come into range of 2 or more cruisers at the same time, without backup. It's that simple.

Another pro-tip, even though you make a bunch of asinine troll threads, learn how to position yourself. Be with teammates, don't push too early, but don't sit idly in the rear.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
978 posts
4,372 battles

Use WASD, don't spam repair for single fires, stop sailing into positions where you can be torp'd or fired upon by a large number of enemy ships.

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Gold made some valid points with regards to positioning, team play, etc.. In other threads I've gone so far as to list the number and ship type with Tiers that have radar as well as Hydrocacoustic. Long story short, it's a lot and I am a Battleship main...

CA's are in a tough spot at the moment and are real "niche'y". If people try to play against the grain without knowing the full capabilities of the ship, they pay for it quickly. In turn, most see this as the entire line being underpowered, despite it being a player base issue most of the time.

With regards to your specific issue, well, that is something that you need to work on. You haven't "literally" tried everything.  And while I respect the fact that you can voice your opinion, you do so quite often, I don't agree with it in any way shape or form.

HE and Torpedoes are your issue with regards to this post and it's context. There are a ton of how to "A,S,W,D" video's as well as "How to manage cool downs" out there. They've been there since OBT, but have only been growing in numbers.

If these two mechanics are ruining a match or the entire game for you, I am truly sorry. However, please don't try to lump everyone in with your opinion as when you say "HE and Torpedoes are ruining the game", it's an attempt to lump everyone, err sorry 90% of us into your opinion...

Quick question though, what's tomorrow's topic? Battleships being able to laser shoot from A1 to J10 95% of games and all of this before you've loaded in? Perhaps the Tier 1 economy is broken?

Those may look like jokes, but they are genuine questions. Some of your topics, especially lately have me wondering if we are playing the same game.

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

Press R to stop flooding and Fire. If you used it already, you probably used it for one fire.

Also, this guy has regularly proven himself a troll. I would not listen to him.

[-NOM-]
Members
473 posts
7,193 battles

This video helped me a lot when I was new, I can usually dodge full torpedo salvos with no damage now. take a look at it, and have fun making destroyers cry. :trollface:

Edited by Speedstang

Members
848 posts
6,915 battles

Look, if you're in a battleship, and you are the one spotting the destroyer and leading the charge into an enemy smokscreen, you're doing it wrong. That's a cruisers job. You don't have the mobility, agility or rate of fire to be able to effectively hunt down destroyers, only to defend yourself from charging destroyers. 

a. Destroyers don't teleport, they just sail really fast.

b. No ship currently in game can launch 30 torpedoes at a time. You were either ambushed by multiple ships, which in that case are very lucky you didn't die there and then, or you're exaggerating.

With more and more ships equipped with smokescreens, the best thing you can do is either rely on a radar cruiser, or hold your fire until the smokescreen dissipates and the culprit is exposed.

And most importantly, use your WASD keys to vary your course and speed to throw off the aim of any torpedoes and long range gunfire.

- As a destroyer player, I hate people who turn after I've launched torpedoes.

- As a cruiser player, I hate people who stay away from me when I'm in a smokescreen or in torpedo range, and who can effectively counter my HE damage with their Repair and Damage Control Parties.

- As a battleship player, I hate people who can combine islands and smokescreens effectively to ambush me when I'm most vulnerable, or distracted in a gun duel.

Alpha Tester
1,435 posts
22,739 battles

and as it stands you can't really nerf smoke screens more now.... I mean I am not a DD player but I do know that DD's basically depend on there stealth for survival.

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,187 battles

It's getting to the point where I think he spends more time creating whine threads than actually learning how to counter the supposed problems in-game.

[SF-3]
Beta Testers
594 posts
8,966 battles

Generally, if you think something is overpowered and unbeatable, try playing it yourself and you'll soon figure out its limitations and counters.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

So you say that a DD was spotted and 30 seconds later he was at the other side?

Let's add some math:

we take a spotting range of 5km (which is fairly low) and calculate the distance he must've traveled.

5km x pi x 2 = 10km x 3.14159 = 31.41km

only half the circle so ~15km

15km / 30s = 0.5 km / s

1m / s = 1.95 kn

0.5 km/s = ~1000 kn

Wow that guy was fast

Edited by SireneRacker
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
135 posts

So you say that a DD was spotted and 30 seconds later he was at the other side?

Let's add some math:

we take a spotting range of 5km (which is fairly low) and calculate the distance he must've traveled.

5km x pi x 2 = 10km x 3.14159 = 31.41km

only half the circle so ~15km

15km / 30s = 0.5 km / s

1m / s = 1.95 kn

0.5 km/s = ~1000 kn

Wow that guy was fast

Your math is totally wrong, 2 pi r is the circumference, which is the whole circle. Also, one side to the other doesn't mean half the circle
Edited by Kaa1el

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

:facepalm:

Why all the serious, well-thought responses?

OP likes to post troll threads like this all the time. Just leave the bloke sizzle out. Maybe he'll get bored at some point lol

Members
687 posts
9,588 battles

and as it stands you can't really nerf smoke screens more now.... I mean I am not a DD player but I do know that DD's basically depend on there stealth for survival.

Except smoke isn't used for survival. It's used to camp in and do free damage. It's a dumb mechanic allowing ships inside of smoke to see enemy ships. They can't do it in cyclones, yet they can in smoke.... Only in Wargamings world... 

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

In your case I'd stop playing the game in order to counter it. Oh, probably stop posting new threads too, just to be safe.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Look, if you're in a battleship, and you are the one spotting the destroyer and leading the charge into an enemy smokscreen, you're doing it wrong. That's a cruisers job. You don't have the mobility, agility or rate of fire to be able to effectively hunt down destroyers, only to defend yourself from charging destroyers. 

I'd disagree.  CAs without hydro active or radar at the ready are even worse off leading a charge against a DD than a BB is.  Unless it's a stupid DD that aims only at where the lead assist was 2 seconds ago.  If they can deploy hydro/radar, or even a catapult fighter (useful only once the guy's out of the smoke, but still more useful than nothing), then they're definitely more optimal, but without it they're just much-squishier targets than BBs.

[GRIT]
Members
3,254 posts
11,798 battles

So many posts on these topics by this poster....

But apparently, WG has been listening to him over the past year.

Seriously, this is exactly what they're trying to address with all the DD nerfs.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
824 posts
2,509 battles

Except smoke isn't used for survival. It's used to camp in and do free damage. It's a dumb mechanic allowing ships inside of smoke to see enemy ships. They can't do it in cyclones, yet they can in smoke.... Only in Wargamings world... 

wrong. A DD sitting in smoke cannot see enemy ships without an allied ship doing the spotting. Get your facts straight before posting false and misleading information.

Beta Testers
824 posts
2,509 battles

But apparently, WG has been listening to him over the past year.

Seriously, this is exactly what they're trying to address with all the DD nerfs.

Exactly. And why as a DD player I rarely play this game anymore. Giving away a free ship? Sure Ill log in and grind it up. The rest of the time? Screw WG and their constant appeasement of BB mains why cry about DD torps...which since Beta has been seemingly priority #1. It's why this game has been dumbed down to World of Battleships. They should've stuck with their original name.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

From my limited anecdotal experience over the last week or so I'd say DD play is down somewhat. Been seeing 2 or 3 per side at best usually.

Edit. Just looked at maple syrup and High Tier DD (7-10) has 200k less rounds played than BB holding #1 spot currently.

Edited by Canadatron

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

I literally tried everything to avoid HE spam and TORP spam, but I still couldn't beat these two game mechanics. First I saw an enemy DD incoming on my port side but it was lit for only 1 second, so I turned my guns towards him. After half a minute, he teleported to my starboard side and launched 30 torpedoes to me. I dodged most of them, but still got hit by 4. 80% of my hp gone. Then he started popping white stuff and started to invisible shooting at me, I couldn't see him. I tried to fire at these spots where the shots show their traces, 12 shots, 0 hit. Then I died from flooding and fire. This is happening to every single game and it is very frustrating. Is there anything I can do to counter this?

Git gud homeboy

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

ff5.jpg

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Your math is totally wrong, 2 pi r is the circumference, which is the whole circle. Also, one side to the other doesn't mean half the circle

That's why: "only half the circle so ~15km"

Even with just a quarter of a circle the estimated speed is far too high. Even with an eight of a circle the speed is far too high. And guess what: even with the tenth of a circle...

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

From my limited anecdotal experience over the last week or so I'd say DD play is down somewhat. Been seeing 2 or 3 per side at best usually.

Edit. Just looked at maple syrup and High Tier DD (7-10) has 200k less rounds played than BB holding #1 spot currently.

Anyone remember this gem?