You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Commander_LuXun

Scharnhorst and Arizona are being released again. Should I get one of them, or both?

53 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

As we know these two ships are being released again. I do not know which one would suit me better, or if I should get both. I like something that has decent maneuverability and good armor, accurate guns with good velocity and penetration. Something that can really brawl and perform well under 10 kilometers. 

But I am hesitant to play right now due to the ongoing Santa events. You know what I am referring to.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Scharnhorst is the ship for you. Arizona isn't a bad ship, but she is anything but maneuverable, and that severely limits her performance potential.

• Cool 1

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

Scharnhorst is the better overall package in my opinion than the Arizona, although I enjoy both.  If you've used and enjoyed the New Mexico then you'll like the Arizona.  Arizona guns are accurate and really punchy but the Scharn can terrorize even when uptiered to T9 and typically enjoys friendlier matchmaking than the Arizona.  The guns are smaller caliber, but they reload fast and can deal decent AP damage to battleships if you're close enough and they're presenting you with a good angle, and if not then you can just burn them down while you try to work your way into brawl range.  If you've got cash to blow, get both, but if you are trying to stick within a budget and those are your parameters, go Scharn.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

[BOATC]
Members
387 posts
15,125 battles

Scharhorst gets the best matchmaking. Arizona is good but I don't think it has the Scharn's carry potential.

Members
4,479 posts
19,839 battles

Scharnhorst. I have both the Scharnie and Arizona. Both are excellent ships but if you want something that can really brawl and perform well under 10 kilometers you cant beat Scharnie.

[BOATC]
Members
387 posts
15,125 battles

Looks like Scharnhorst for me. But I'm slightly worried about some of its characteristics, namely penetration (inconsistent) and accuracy of the guns.

Both of those can be fixed by driving closer.

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

As we know these two ships are being released again. I do not know which one would suit me better, or if I should get both. I like something that has decent maneuverability and good armor, accurate guns with good velocity and penetration. Something that can really brawl and perform well under 10 kilometers. 

But I am hesitant to play right now due to the ongoing Santa events. You know what I am referring to.

I have both, and while I'm still used to my heavily-played, much-loved Arizona, I think Scharnhorst is the more fun one. Not that AZ isn't strong, but she's very slow and that is her major limiting factor. Her speed also makes her less fun and less flexible overall.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles

Do you like US battleships at mid-tier?  If so you'll like Arizona, it has excellent main battery guns and mediocre AA.

The Scharnhorst is much faster and is pretty good all around with a good secondary battery and AA.  However it's a bit undergunned and can be frustrating to play against well angled higher tier ships.  You can get a pretty good feel for both simply by playing up the lines to the New Mexico and Gneisenau, though they're not identical and the Gneisenau has a different, not better, not worse, main battery.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Scharnhorst is the better ship here, absolutely no contest.

MM is still garbage to T6, and it really hurts the AZ a lot IMHO.

Unless you hate brawling with a passion, in which case the AZ is the better choice... but the MM still sucks.

My stats with AZ:

My stats with Shcarny:

Not that far off as you can see, but AZ took me a while to figure out.

Members
370 posts
5,045 battles

The Scharnhorst offers a play-style that is seldom found in the tech tree.  She is also very.....   very strong for her tier.  Give the ship a go, i will bet you won't regret it.

Edited by A_Horde_of_Sharks

Alpha Tester
1,435 posts
22,732 battles

I don't really own ether but I'd say it would depend on your preferences on what kind of BB you want.

Arizona is tankier

Sharnhorst is faster

Arizona has more 3 guns

Sharnhorst has faster turrets

Arizona does more damage per salvo

Sharnhorst can fire faster.

and so on and so forth...

It all comes down to game play style...

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

I like:

1. Tankiness at mid-to-close range

2. High shell velocity, good dispersion

3. Good maneuverability

4. Favorable MM

5. A platform that generates consistent damage, kills and results

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
260 posts
5,565 battles

I own them both.  You want the Scharn.  Arizona is a decent T6 BB, but she's not that different than the New Mexico in playstyle.

Scharn is her own thing completely.  There is no ship at her tier or lower that you need to fear when driving her.  She can run down DDs and slaughter them, blast cruisers at mid and close range, and either torch BBs at range with HE or rip them to shreds in close with her fast firing main battery, strong secondaries, and torpedoes.  She's nimble enough to dodge torpedo bombers and has excellent AA for her tier, and a catapult fighter to boot. 

As far as downsides her guns will give you the occasional WTFRNG scatter at 12km and her bow is a bit soft against 15cm+ guns.  She struggles when she's bottom tier, partially because high tier matches aren't the most permissible environment for the type of play where she really shines.  

In the right hands I think she's the best premium in the game.  There's no other ship that plays anything like her, including the Gneisenau.

Members
1,716 posts
8,224 battles

Buy yourself about $30. worth ($3. ones) of Santa boxes, you might end up with both as I did.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
159 posts
32,808 battles

Both.....because... History.  

If you can just pick one it's Scharnhorst.  The thing is an awesome fun beast and makes good money... fast guns fast shipping and torps...     

AZ can tank well and could be a choice if you're training American  captains

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

I would pick Scharn.  Although Im feeling its a bit overused and stuff. 

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

I am averaging 51,368 damage, 50% WR, 2.0 KD, 1.05 ship kills and 0.80 plane kills in the NM after 166 battles. Stats were better but, weekends and stuff brought them down by quite a bit. But, are these decent stats in the New Mexico? On the other hand, Scharnhorst would be a completely new play style for me. I started enjoying this game when I played the new Furutaka (WW2 config) and Aoba. Played them as raiders, setting fires and launching torpedoes, AP at broadside cruisers, charging enemies bow on.

PS. how would you rate my overall performance as a player?

Edited by Zionas

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

I know nothing about the Arizona but the shiny horse was my first ever prem ship buy and still may favorite ship in the game.

Fantastic ship.

[JOLLY]
[JOLLY]
Alpha Tester
578 posts
6,132 battles

Scharnhorst is the best BB in game.

Arizona is too slow to save the day when things go sour...

Edited by Bl4ckBaron

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,944 battles

I received the Arizona in a $3 Santa box. I would never have bought it outright, but now that I have it I really enjoy it. The guns are excellent with low dispersion and good arcs. I insta-delete more cruisers with this ship than any other. If you like the US BBs you will like the Arizona.

Scharnhorst is fun, and dead sexy. Gorgeous ship.

Edited by Skarp_AGW

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,098 battles

Make it easy for you: get them both!

The Scharn is a very versatile BB and with t7 in the honeypot area. Most of the time you will see t7/8 matches and even in a t9 you have a chance. She is fast, has good secondary and AA plus the fast reload of the main battery is forgiving when a salvo didn't hit. You can hunt everything in game, just change the ammo matching to the situation. The turtleback makes her hard to citadel. Beside the Imperator Nikolai and the Gremlin the most OP ship WG released.

The Arizona is slow but you gave better guns then the NM when it comes to dispersion. She has a very high HP pool for a t6 and the best torpedobelt for her tier. On the downside she is slow, has a long reload time and there is no AA to talk about. You can easy delete cruisers with a salvo and I killed enough DD with AP when they closed in and showed their broadside to launch their torpedos.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,167 posts
30,915 battles

Scharnhorst is the better overall ship than Arizona.

Speed, handling?  Arizona actually maneuvers well like all the USN Standards.  Speed however is an achilles heel.  Scharnhorst has a good balance of handling and most of all, speed.  Sometimes DDs are surprised in how well she handles to avoid torps and that has to be accounted for.

Armor?  Arizona can face tank 356mm or less AP rounds with ease, anywhere else and she's like other USN Standards... She eats penetrations.  Scharnhorst has good armor also but as with other BBs, her upper hull armor is weak and can yield a lot of damage.  The turlteback armor however makes Scharnhorst much more forgiving, but make no mistake, she can eat a lot of penetration damage if the angle you give is favorable to the threat.

Firepower?

Arizona actually has the stronger guns.  She's also something of a wonder at Tier VI with her accuracy, dispersion as she often rewards the user with some very interesting high hit counts on volleys, even at range which USN BBs struggle at.  Her 356mm rifles, if she can get a drop on even a Tier VIII, will cause a lot of damage.  But in facing the Tier VIII BBs the firepower is found wanting still as typically targets are smarter about angles than the Tier V & VI BBs.  I've found I had to rely on HE more with AZ against Tier VIII BB threats that are typically angled.

Scharnhorst's guns however are smaller caliber but fire at low arcs and are high velocity.  Dispersion is wonky if you do not use ASM1.  Without ASM1 firing at even intermediate (around 15km) is unreliable.  Sometimes you get hits, sometimes you can't get anything, no matter how good your aim is.  But in going the ASM1 route, you're not doing a Secondaries Build.  While Scharnhorst's guns are weaker than Arizona's, the former's ability to sail more quickly to close range and very forgiving protection scheme means the German ship is able to more easily get into the shorter ranges where her guns really start to shine.  The closer Scharnhorst gets, the nasty combo of her guns, handling, secondaries, and torpedoes come into play.

AZ is still the Best Tier VI BB, IMO, not even Dunkeke has changed that.  But with the MM, AZ faces Tier VIII threats all the time now.  In the old MM, she still did but it's not like now where it's all...the...time.  Scharnhorst is a very solid BB and when I have to face Tier IX BBs with her, I do not feel weak.

Arizona is the superior BB at range.  Scharnhorst is extremely deadly the shorter the range gets.  The dangerous thing with Scharnhorst is she has the speed to make that short range a reality.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway