wdarkk

IFHE is SO Good

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

24 posts in this topic

So on the test server I tried out the new Inertial Fuse for High Explosive shell skill. What it does is decreases the fire chance of your HE shells by 3 in exchange for 30% more penetration.

The Budyonny, Shchors, and Chapayev all have 152mm HE shells. An HE shell has penetration equal to 1/6 its diameter (with some exceptions that aren't Russian cruisers and will be ignored). 1/6 of 152 is 25.3333etc. Multiplying that by 130%, we get 32.9333etc. That's higher than the 32mm that covers the extremities of most ships.

This means that when you face a North Carolina, or for that matter a Yamato, you can get HE pens on the exterior plating.

If you think that's crazy

180mm * 1.3 / 6 = 39mm

That means you will penetrate the deck and midsection armor of Iowa and Montana.

Seems like they are trying to do the same thing as WOT and make games faster which would be a bad thing imho

AS soon as they go to gold ammo, I'm out.

The devs seem pretty adamant about not wanting to include gold ammo. But what players should be really nervous about is the introduction of the new mysterious armament(weapon not ammo). There are really only a few options this could be: mines, rockets, AP bombs for DBs or missiles. And seeing as one of the new RU DDs coming out very soon in the split is a missile destroyer with only 2 single guns and missiles(even in the dev diary it shows them 3D designing it with only 2 guns and missile launchers), it's a safe bet that the new armament they're introducing is missiles. I think players should be more worried about this. Can you imagine a DD sitting at distance launchibg missiles at your BB?

This is the first step toward Gold ammo.

Are you kidding? It's a skill. You don't pay for it! How is that "gold ammo?"

The devs seem pretty adamant about not wanting to include gold ammo. But what players should be really nervous about is the introduction of the new mysterious armament(weapon not ammo). There are really only a few options this could be: mines, rockets, AP bombs for DBs or missiles. And seeing as one of the new RU DDs coming out very soon in the split is a missile destroyer with only 2 single guns and missiles(even in the dev diary it shows them 3D designing it with only 2 guns and missile launchers), it's a safe bet that the new armament they're introducing is missiles. I think players should be more worried about this. Can you imagine a DD sitting at distance launchibg missiles at your BB?

I can see that as a big issue unless they give BB's and CL's countermeasures against those new weapons.  I'm not too much against keeping the game interesting with such things, but the balance that WG is so quick to state as the reason for things has to be part of it.

Are you kidding? It's a skill. You don't pay for it! How is that "gold ammo?"

All I'm saying is that if WG ever offers an option for gold ammo such as in WoT, that will be the end of the game for me.  One of the reasons I like this game so much is that, other 'balance' features notwithstanding, there isn't any gold spamming in WoWS and it needs to stay that way.

All I'm saying is that if WG ever offers an option for gold ammo such as in WoT, that will be the end of the game for me.  One of the reasons I like this game so much is that, other 'balance' features notwithstanding, there isn't any gold spamming in WoWS and it needs to stay that way.

Yup, gold ammo is something the just about negates all armor values. If they were to add it in, a Black Swan or Erie could citadel a Yammy or a GK using it. It's the definition of pay to win. Oh look, a player who obviously has more experience and knowledge and skill than me and knows how to angle and use his armor to mitigate most of my shots because I'm just a filthy scrub. Let me swap over to my gold ammo real quick so none of that matters and I can feel like I'm good. Alright gold ammo loaded, take shot and BOOM, enemy player player now is take damage despite being in a position where he would have. Armor and angling has no effect when t comes to gold ammo. And the game would be going on a bad direction if they added it.

...But what players should be really nervous about is the introduction of the new mysterious armament(weapon not ammo). There are really only a few options this could be: mines, rockets, AP bombs for DBs or missiles...

Know this is off topic, but it could also be the HIGH ANGLE MAIN TURRETS shown in the dev video?

Yeah, it will be a great skill for Russian CL/CAs before Moskva.

But you will need 14 pt captain for that and you will probably need to spec out of it once obtained Moskva.

I am a hardcore Chapayev driver with a 15 point commander.  Do you think this skill will be more worthwhile for the Chapayev than demolition expert?  I start a lot of fires but I also have way more shells shattering than penetrating when hitting tier 8-10 BBs 

I am a hardcore Chapayev driver with a 15 point commander.  Do you think this skill will be more worthwhile for the Chapayev than demolition expert?  I start a lot of fires but I also have way more shells shattering than penetrating when hitting tier 8-10 BBs 

It's possible to get both DE and IFHE. 

It's possible to get both DE and IFHE. 

This. And laugh at USN BBs as you smash them with HE lol.

This. And laugh at USN BBs as you smash them with HE lol.

152mm guns don't penetrate the Iowa and Montana's weather decks, even with Inertia Fuzes.  The 180s on the Donskoi though...

Edited by TenguBlade

Would you want IFHE over CE or DE for DM and Moskva though? I'm a few games into the DM and I don't know which way to go. I got the rudder for DM and it makes a world of difference so I'm wondering if CE is any good if you aren't going to go concealment module on the last two tiered ships.

152mm guns don't penetrate the Iowa and Montana's weather decks, even with Inertia Fuzes.  The 180s on the Donskoi though...

They do if you hit the bow or stern. And since a fair number of BB drivers are probably going to be wanting to take Fire Prevention, that's a good place to aim, anyway, once the superstructure is burning.

--Helms

They do if you hit the bow or stern. And since a fair number of BB drivers are probably going to be wanting to take Fire Prevention, that's a good place to aim, anyway, once the superstructure is burning.

--Helms

Clearly the only equitable fix for this is to buff the bow and stern on Iowa and Montana up to prevent this...  38mm sounds like a fair amount!   

:tea_cap:

--Helms

I said weather deck.  That kind of implies that bow/stern armor is excluded since it's 100% [edited]'d.

I said weather deck.  That kind of implies that bow/stern armor is excluded since it's 100% [edited]'d.

"Weather deck" is any deck of a ship that is open, with no overheads, and therefore exposed to the full brunt of whatever weather happens to be prevailing at the time. The bow and stern count, thank you very much.

:P

--Helms

Why would you want to pen these areas of the ship with HE anyway. HE shells deal less damage than AP shells. In the case of RU 152's, HE does 2200 damage per shell and AP does 3300, so if you are intentionally targeting these areas, then AP will yield better results. Don't be lazy with ammo selection and use your AP rounds in the right situations. IFHE is a point trap IMO.

Why would you want to pen these areas of the ship with HE anyway. HE shells deal less damage than AP shells. In the case of RU 152's, HE does 2200 damage per shell and AP does 3300, so if you are intentionally targeting these areas, then AP will yield better results. Don't be lazy with ammo selection and use your AP rounds in the right situations. IFHE is a point trap IMO.

Because AP tends to overpen superstructures, and also because AP cares about impact angle while HE doesn't. It's pretty easy to do damage through deck armor with HE if it penetrates. With AP, not so much because you have to worry about it bouncing. If the target's giving you a flat broadside to shoot, then yes, AP above the belt, but if you have to shoot somebody that's angled with small caliber guns, then IFHE can mean the difference between actually hurting them and constantly getting 0 damage hits because your HE simply isn't strong enough to pen the soft parts of their ship. Not having to rely on fire RNG is nice.

--Helms

Good thing I was referring to laughing in my Donskoi lol.