You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BarronRichthofen

Timid BB Captains

14 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,357 battles

So what is with you all Huh? Hide in the back, fire 10 salvo's in he entire match, Die last and have the lowest score. I don't get it. BB's are meant to be the "Tank" so get in there and tank.Hiding from the enemy hoping a DD will spot some target for you won't win battles. You MUST be proactive about killing the enemy. NONE of my high scoring matches in a BB have been from when I've been one of the last to engage. 

I'm not suggesting charging in and getting yourself owned by the entire enemy team. But hiding behind an island when the cruisers or other friendly BB's engage the enemy only HURT"S your team. It does this in two way's First it takes your gun's out of the battle, sometimes when they are needed most. Second it reduces the number of targets the enemy has to choose from, meaning they WILL focus your teammates down quickly. This then leads to you being outnumbered and on the run the rest of the match. Usually ending in a loss, your death, and being tired because you ran.

:trollface:

Most matches end this way, sometime's to your team sometimes to the other. But it is always the team that has the timid BB captains that loose. One player like this usually won't cost your team the match but two certainly will. Stop running when you see the enemy, Start engaging. Don't Charge them but Don't run and hide either. Fight, and keep fighting even if you need to fall back to repair. Just don't leave your team hanging in the wind. Reduce speed, change heading, fall behind another healthier BB for a few. But keep firing Keep pounding away at the enemy.  

I know to the long time player who has ALWAYS played their BB's this way my words will not change you. You are a lost cause already. But the new BB player, Don't become a Timid BB captain. Your Repair bill will not change if you die or not. Your earnings will change if you accomplish more and do more damage before the end of match, even if you die while doing it.

That's the real goal after all, to make the most money and XP per match possible.  Not what your KDR is, or how many battles you've survived.

Many of my most profitable matches have been when I have died early, even with a loss. Why? Because I did more, caused more damage, and even killed a few of the enemy while doing it.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,837 battles

These forums are wearing me out just like this game is.  The idiots are in all ships right now in this game. 

Members
1,116 posts
10,974 battles

Another thing BB captains may not be aware of is that when the enemy BB(s) are being hit with HE from friendly cruisers,  the enemy BB's are aiming at the fire breathing cruisers,  NOT your shiny fresh No Carolina hanging back at 20km just looking.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

These forums are wearing me out just like this game is.  The idiots are in all ships right now in this game. 

We talking the entire game or just weekends?

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

OP is clueless like the many other threads we've seen on this.

Here's the deal there are plenty of passive or scared players driving all types of ships.

BBs push and cruisers and DDs bail on them. Then BBs say screw pushing up.

DDs push and cruisers don't support them while trying to cap early on. Then DDs don't want to cap.

Cruisers push and BBs turn away and they get deleted. Then cruisers want to stay in back instead of hunting DDs.

I've had all this happen to me today alone in the 18 matches I've played.

If there's no team work then winning is difficult. Anyone wanting to call out one class of ships over another is just biased.

[-NOM-]
Members
473 posts
7,193 battles

Here's the deal there are plenty of passive or scared players driving all types of ships.

DDs push and cruisers don't support them while trying to cap early on. Then DDs don't want to cap.

Cruisers push and BBs turn away and they get deleted. Then cruisers want to stay in back instead of hunting DDs.

If there's no team work then winning is difficult. Anyone wanting to call out one class of ships over another is just biased.

This is the weekend. Everyone is basically trying to die as soon as possible.

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,357 battles

I fully understand the All for ME attitude of 70% of the players of this game, And the fear of the other 30%. I am in no way CLUELESS.

I pointed out a fact.

Your comment of me Being "Clueless" is offensive. 

Look at my service record, it's public. I Know far better than most the state of this game. Before you start insulting people you may want to look at that.

I'm not saying BB's are alone to blame for the state of the game. Pretty much each class has their own issues as you pointed out. This post was intended to try and get new BB players to NOT follow the trend which is really senseless. 

Lower Damage + fewer Ribbons = Less money/XP

Thats a fact and being timid and hiding in back get's you that. None of what I said is untrue. Changing players play style is probably pointless which is why this thread is aimed at new player's not 6k+ matches players like you. If you can keep the new players from acting as a solo warrior, and act as a member of a team instead, it may eventually change the state of the current game play.  It's worth a try at least.

Being insulting and listing the horror stories that is the current game does not help. It just shows how jaded you have become.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles

I suggest you watch iEarlGray's most recent "what's up with Warships" where he talks about "weekend warriors" 

Some of those "Kids" think they're "GOATs" (pun intended) and they're most likely to not frequent the forums. 

I'm sure some do for tips and such, but the likelihood is low. 

For those that do, their Ship settings might not be the most optimal.

For example they might not have "Surface Detection Ring" active which is My Primary Engagement Range for all ships. Basically the preferred Range until firing guns against a target in a 1v1 situation. 

Some players don't know how to turn that function on OR even know it exists. 

More specific to BBs some only see there extreme range as their only attribute of a class type that ensures them "safety" which it does at the extreme cost of effectiveness, EXP gains, and Credit/Score. 

Basically they don't know that "being shot at WHILE surviving = more score"

Also because of the Above they also certainly do not understand why they have such great Gun Range; to mitigate being the slowest ships on the battlefield. The range is there so they can attack ships they have "caught" while maximizing "engagement time" while the target ship runs away into it concealment or gunnery range. 

So to the OP, if the Weekend Warriors are getting to you, find some buds who know what they're doing and run Div's, put slightly less emphasis on Team Play and find that "happy medium" between playing Objectives and Farming Kills, OR finally take a step back and fire up another game for an hour or two. Or PvE, at the very least you might be able to accomplish some grinding and not have to worry about Players without game-sense. 

To the Weekend Warriors that stumble across this, turn on you addition Range Bubbles that you determine are necessary; at the very least surface detection. Spend 15-20 minutes before hopping online watching a Community Contributer or Unicum play your class/ship so you have refresher/rundown on what you should be doing. And finally if you get called out in-game about poor play then take the criticism you receive by asking and figuring out why you're on the receiving end of "HEAT"

Also IF you're "doing" someone's "Mom" you're showing your age. And you're also admitting to being a GM ILF or Necrophiliac... and would you really do those things with your grandparents friends?

Members
122 posts

Have to agree with OP.  I like to push mid-level with my BBs - around 70% of the time any other BBs with me will turn tail and run the minute enemy ships start firing.  Keep on getting those moments where you think "what in the..?  Am I the only target on the map?", then you look around and are like "guess so, everyone else has scattered".

Edited by anonym_BYdiMzOcHH92

Members
75 posts
4,144 battles

As a new BB player (3 weeks) I've discovered you have to strike a balance. Over extend or have your team bail on you and you're basically a floating barbecue. Sit in the back and you have a really dull unsatisfying match and your cruisers pay for it. I play to have fun and sniping isn't fun to me in this game. My best matches come when I find a battle buddy (usually another BB) and we move together and mutually support each other, pushing forward in a calculated manner. Not Bansai charging.

It's difficult to get 12 people who've never spoken before to all agree on a predetermined set of actions (aka a plan). I've been able to do so once and we cleaned house.

[TBCIC]
Members
648 posts
9,057 battles

I've long since stripped my BBs of spotters and swapped 'em for cat fighters. As far capn'n a BB I learned early on to try to read the position and direction of the team MM'd with to provide some hefty fire support.  More often than not the initiative falls apart and find my boat all alone, or leading a push to have the CAs and BBs tuck tail at the sight of a DD.  In sum, I like to brawl ... no, I love to brawl.  'Timid?'  ...Nah.

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,514 battles

I have been saying it all along that they need to if they want to get bb captains to push up more to buff the secondaries. Case in point German BBs have really good secondary guns such as the Bismarck and above and you see them push up more then the rest. BBs need extra firepower to deal with closer targets. I think that all tier 6 and 7 bbs should get a 8 KM range and 8 and above should get a 10 km range on secondary guns.

[DGODS]
Members
8 posts

Camping BB teammates just mean more damage for my BB brawler playstyle. Screw um, let them sit in the back. They just better lob some of those 10 salvos in my direction for support.