Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
suleiman71

How to Budyonny?

13 comments in this topic

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

I have quite literally forgotten how to cruiser. There was once a time where I could do very well in cruisers. Some of my best games were from back when I was a noob cruiser player. One day, however, I simply couldn't play them well anymore. My 39k average(used to be 43k) in Konigsberg, and my 60k average in Svietlana(2nd highest in the world), are among the remnants of this long gone era.

I just got Budyonny from Santa's Christmas Convoys. How does one go about sailing her?

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

To me, it's a better armored, overall stronger Molotov. No, it doesn't have those guns, but it honestly doesn't need them. Best T6 cruiser, imo.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

She's a baby Shchors...which might not be helpful.  She has enough speed on her to run in open water, and her rudder/turn radius have not gone completely to pot yet.  Her AP is good on broadside ships inside 10-12km or so, her HE is useful in just about any situation.  With DE on, she's a good fire starter at her tier.  

I recommend playing conservatively early match when down tiered or if there are a LOT of BB.  Top tier and/or with many CA/CL/DD, you can be more aggressive.  Your guns can produce reliable hits on DD inside 12km...further if they're straight line taters.  Unless you wander into a torp spread, no DD wants to be close to you in this ship - you will eat them.  You can bow on to light cruisers and force them to make mistakes.  Against anything 203 mm armed, you need to angle your bow a bit.  Some people will play her this way, like a baby BB...personally, I like to run about.  If your WASD game is strong, you can go mostly bow in and force lots of bad shots/misses.  Your guns are better at range than pretty much anyone.  KM cruisers can compete on range and arc, but you win on penetration and HE alpha/fire chance.  Wreck Cleveland and giggle, pick on Leander outside smoke, cit-pen Tier V cruisers, light BB on fire.  Just be aware that you don't necessarily have a knock out punch unless your target is broadside or you're close enough for torps.  That's the Achilles's heal of VMF cruisers at mid-tier (Molotov and Kirov excepted) - lots of steady damage, but no knock out punch.  Her little citadel belt is trollish when angled against same tier and tier V BB...you can get away with some close range shenanigans, but I don't necessarily recommend it.

Edited by Mahrs
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

I just got it back thanks to the missions and forgot how good it is. Use the advice of this thread so far, its actually sound advice. Use your range because that is the ships strength.

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

Flamu calls it the best cruiser in its tier. Go watch his review.

I felt the same way playing it. However I had the worst possible stream of idiotic teams ever so while Budyonny was my best performing tier 6 cruiser damage-wise (edging Leander out ever so slightly and way better than Aoba and Nurmberg), it has appalling 36.7% WR.

The sheer retardedness of (mostly premium) T7 and T8 trash that I encountered with this ship was just unbelievable :( I think I'll try it out again just to see if I can overcome the 21 defeat deficit on it somehow ...

Beta Testers
389 posts
7,230 battles

It's a russian flamethrower with speed, armor, and guns that make DDs and BBs beg for mercy. I'm not sure how to describe sailing it. It is kinda one of those straight forward ships that just does good in general.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

I felt the same way playing it. However I had the worst possible stream of idiotic teams ever so while Budyonny was my best performing tier 6 cruiser damage-wise (edging Leander out ever so slightly and way better than Aoba and Nurmberg), it has appalling 36.7% WR.

The sheer retardedness of (mostly premium) T7 and T8 trash that I encountered with this ship was just unbelievable :( I think I'll try it out again just to see if I can overcome the 21 defeat deficit on it somehow ...

Dude, Budyonny makes me want to get out my tinfoil hat.  I think MM knows she's a stronk Stalinium ship and says to itself: "A ha!  Here's a cruiser I can cover in spuds and down tier every match!"  Also, I think I will sell her so the game can give her back to me for free w/ camo....muahahahaha! 

I am glad they gave me back my Leander for free...for pubbie type scrums, that smoke/heal combo is nice...play her like a big DD.  Alternatively, at this point you should have a Farragut as well...and she actually IS a DD...heh.  Of course the Leander has better guns and torpedoes...

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,110 battles

I have quite literally forgotten how to cruiser. There was once a time where I could do very well in cruisers. Some of my best games were from back when I was a noob cruiser player. One day, however, I simply couldn't play them well anymore. My 39k average(used to be 43k) in Konigsberg, and my 60k average in Svietlana(2nd highest in the world), are among the remnants of this long gone era.

I just got Budyonny from Santa's Christmas Convoys. How does one go about sailing her?

Stay as far away as possible and rain hell with your rail guns. And most of the Russian cruiser line is like that. Though right now at shchors and I can't make her work very well.

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

I haven't played very many rounds in Budyonny....

But I would imagine it plays out much like other Soviet cruisers, such as MK... Stay at range, load salt and pepper infused rounds, and have a battleship barbecue.

Edited by twitch133

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

Dude, Budyonny makes me want to get out my tinfoil hat.  I think MM knows she's a stronk Stalinium ship and says to itself: "A ha!  Here's a cruiser I can cover in spuds and down tier every match!"  Also, I think I will sell her so the game can give her back to me for free w/ camo....muahahahaha! 

I am glad they gave me back my Leander for free...for pubbie type scrums, that smoke/heal combo is nice...play her like a big DD.  Alternatively, at this point you should have a Farragut as well...and she actually IS a DD...heh.  Of course the Leander has better guns and torpedoes...

I know how you feel ...

4742955.jpg

But you would be better off not selling the ship (because you will only get half its purchase price if you sell it, plus you lose any modules you may have already purchased with credits).

Just finish the mission and you will receive its full price in credits (3.2 million or something like that) plus the camo plus the free port slot. Just remember to put YOUR captain back into it afterwards because the mission will send your captain to Reserve and give you a 1 skill point guy and put him at the helm ...

Sign in to follow this