Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JCC45

Ramming mechanic need to be looked at.

24 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

I just got rammed by an Atlanta with 848 HP left while my New York had 20,849.  I had over 20,000 HP more than him... and we both die.

This is, quite possibly, the dumbest mechanic in the game.   

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Ramming does damage proportional to your total HP and ramming flag

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

how did you manage to not get torpedo to death before you ram the Atlanta?

He sucked.  It's the weekend.

I just couldn't turn fast enough to get one more shot on him or to dodge him.  It looked like when his torps missed he rage rammed me

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

Ramming does damage proportional to your total HP and ramming flag

I know.

And it's stupid.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

How did you not kill the Atlanta before it rammed you? They are paper thin hulls.

Look two posts up from yours   ^
Edited by JCC45

Members
1,436 posts
9,473 battles

Amazing how an 848 hp Atlanta can kill you by ramming but not a dead ship or an island made of marshmallows

Members
57 posts
1,717 battles

I just got rammed by an Atlanta with 848 HP left while my New York had 20,849.  I had over 20,000 HP more than him... and we both die.

8,000 tons of angry cruiser just rammed your badly damaged battleship..  You probably cleaved it in twain, but it would have completely taken your poorly armored bow off.

Ramming doesn't hold even the faintest candle to the other stupidities in the mechanics*.  Like the hit point bar itself, for example.

* Well, except the part where you do a full-on ram if you so much as scratch an enemy's paint.  I remember having my stern swing out and gently brush an enemy's stern during some crazy-insane maneuvering and both of us exploding from it (it was basically a gentle brush; wouldn't have done more than dented a panel or two IRL).  That bit is up there with the top stupidities.

I just couldn't turn fast enough to get one more shot on him or to dodge him.  It looked like when his torps missed he rage rammed me

Rage?  I'd say it's pretty much his only choice there.  He's probably not going to kill you with guns, nor is he going to survive even the wrath of your secondaries..so why not?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Ramming is a tactic.  If I'm engaged with a high health enemy ship and I'm low health and on the verge of destruction...ramming is the tactic of choice.  A slight variation (depending on the game status) is if I'm low tier and I'm close to a high tier enemy, and we're both equal HP, I might ram just to get the low for high exchange.

Ramming is a tactic one must take into account when engaging an enemy in close.  If ramming is to their advantage, it is important to enter the engagement with that in mind.  By the time you realize ramming is their goal, it's often too late.  It requires thinking ahead.  Sometimes a good bit ahead.

As for the OP example, it wasn't a rage ram.  It was solid tactics (even strategic depending on the overall game state).  He was going to be dead in short order.  Trading 800HP  Atlanta for a 20KHP New York.  That is a good trade.

If we think even more, it might have been his objective as part of his torpedo launch.  He might have launched the torps in a manner that the only way the NY could avoid them would be to turn and make the ram possible.  Not a rage ram because of the miss, but a ram BECAUSE of the miss. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

Ramming is a tactic.  If I'm engaged with a high health enemy ship and I'm low health and on the verge of destruction...ramming is the tactic of choice.  A slight variation (depending on the game status) is if I'm low tier and I'm close to a high tier enemy, and we're both equal HP, I might ram just to get the low for high exchange.

Ramming is a tactic one must take into account when engaging an enemy in close.  If ramming is to their advantage, it is important to enter the engagement with that in mind.  By the time you realize ramming is their goal, it's often too late.  It requires thinking ahead.  Sometimes a good bit ahead.

As for the OP example, it wasn't a rage ram.  It was solid tactics (even strategic depending on the overall game state).  He was going to be dead in short order.  Trading 800HP  Atlanta for a 20KHP New York.  That is a good trade.

If we think even more, it might have been his objective as part of his torpedo launch.  He might have launched the torps in a manner that the only way the NY could avoid them would be to turn and make the ram possible.  Not a rage ram because of the miss, but a ram BECAUSE of the miss. 

No argument on any of these (exception for the speculative aspects).

Of course they have nothing to do with the original point which is the mechanic is ridiculous.

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,100 battles

8,000 tons of angry cruiser just rammed your badly damaged battleship..  You probably cleaved it in twain, but it would have completely taken your poorly armored bow off.

8,000 tons of almost destroyed cruiser rammed my 28,822 ton, heavily armored, only partially damaged BB.  That's 3.6 times the displacement and, in game terms, I had 24.5 times the hit points of the cruiser.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
7,888 posts
22,026 battles

* Well, except the part where you do a full-on ram if you so much as scratch an enemy's paint.  I remember having my stern swing out and gently brush an enemy's stern during some crazy-insane maneuvering and both of us exploding from it (it was basically a gentle brush; wouldn't have done more than dented a panel or two IRL).  That bit is up there with the top stupidities.

This is my biggest complaint with the current ramming dynamic.  A mere scrape and full ramming damage is applied.  :sceptic:

[LOU1]
Members
4,344 posts
14,782 battles

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

Ramming

The mechanics for ramming are quite simple, and can be described as the following:

• Two parameters are used when calculating ramming damage; the mass (base Hit Points) of the colliding ships, and their relative speed to each other.
  • The location of the impact and the armor thickness of the ships play no role in determining the damage inflicted.
  • The remaining amount of HP of the colliding ships do not matter, only their base (maximum) HP is used in the ramming calculation.
  • Damage inflicted in ramming is applied to the ship's Universal HP pool.
  • The maximum damage from a collision in each pair of colliding ships can not exceed the lowest base HP between the two ships. E.g. if the Erie collides with the Yamato, the maximum amount of damage Erie and Yamato will each inflict on one another is worth the base HP of Erie.
  • If the ramming damage received exceeds 10% of the ship's base HP, the ship will also take flooding damage, provided it survived the ram.
  • Collision between allied ships will not cause flooding, and ramming damage is reduced by a considerably large factor.
  • If two ships collide but neither are destroyed, and physical contact continues, the ramming calculation is repeated in fairly rapid intervals until contact is broken or one ship is destroyed.

Ramming damage is devastating even at low speeds. It should be avoided if the player's ship is still in good condition; the longer it stays in the fight the more it can contribute to the team and the more damage it can inflict upon the enemy. It should only be attempted when it is absolutely critical that the enemy ship must sink immediately, or as a last Hail Mary when the player's ship is already battered with no hope of survival. Ramming just for the "lulz" factor may or may not earn the team's appreciation; some might see it a waste of a perfectly good ship, others may think of it as going down in style.

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

Eh,  going to have to disagree.  I like the ramming mechanic.  It's a last ditch maneuver that typically removes you and your target from the game but most people will only use it when they are nearly dead anyway.  Current hitpoints have nothing to do with it,  your ships overall weight isn't going to go down that much from damage taken.

You just got unlucky or didn't plan well.  I know,  you were in a New York so speed and maneuverability weren't your thing,  but you should pretty much never let a cruiser get close to you to begin with.  Well,  barring the top half of the USN line where its not as dangerous,  premiums not-withstanding.

But you agree with a few other people,  yeah,  scraping someone lightly and exploding violently from it is kinda silly.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Ramming_Damage

Ramming DamageEdit

You can also damage a target by ramming it. The collision creates an explosion at the point of impact similar to that of a high-explosive shell. The strength of the explosion, i.e. the damage potential, depends on the kinetic energy applied in the collision (0.5 * combined weight * relative speed^2), or in other words the combined weight of you and your target as well as your relative speed. That means that the heavier both you and your target are and the faster you collide, the stronger the explosion caused by the collision will be.

However, that damage potential is distributed according to the weight of each of the two colliding vehicles relative to their combined weight (1 - individual weight / combined weight). For example, if you weigh 75 tons and you ram a target weighing 25 tons, only 25% of the explosion will affect you.

Actual damage calculation then follows the same rules as for high-explosive shell explosions, thus ramming lightly armoured targets/areas of the target will cause more damage than strongly armoured parts. Damage taken can be reduced by having a Spall Liner equipped. You can further reduce damage taken and at the same time increase the damage inflicted to the target by having your vehicle's Driver trained in the Controlled Impact skill.

If you are about to be rammed, you can reduce the damage you will take by moving away from the approaching enemy, thus reducing your relative speed, and pointing your strongest armour at them. If your Driver has the Controlled Impact skill, you need to be moving to activate it, anyway.

That's for World of TANKS

Beta Testers
537 posts
2,603 battles

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics#Ramming_Damage

Ramming DamageEdit

You can also damage a target by ramming it. The collision creates an explosion at the point of impact similar to that of a high-explosive shell. The strength of the explosion, i.e. the damage potential, depends on the kinetic energy applied in the collision (0.5 * combined weight * relative speed^2), or in other words the combined weight of you and your target as well as your relative speed. That means that the heavier both you and your target are and the faster you collide, the stronger the explosion caused by the collision will be.

However, that damage potential is distributed according to the weight of each of the two colliding vehicles relative to their combined weight (1 - individual weight / combined weight). For example, if you weigh 75 tons and you ram a target weighing 25 tons, only 25% of the explosion will affect you.

Actual damage calculation then follows the same rules as for high-explosive shell explosions, thus ramming lightly armoured targets/areas of the target will cause more damage than strongly armoured parts. Damage taken can be reduced by having a Spall Liner equipped. You can further reduce damage taken and at the same time increase the damage inflicted to the target by having your vehicle's Driver trained in the Controlled Impact skill.

If you are about to be rammed, you can reduce the damage you will take by moving away from the approaching enemy, thus reducing your relative speed, and pointing your strongest armour at them. If your Driver has the Controlled Impact skill, you need to be moving to activate it, anyway.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

Ramming

The mechanics for ramming are quite simple, and can be described as the following:

• Two parameters are used when calculating ramming damage; the mass (base Hit Points) of the colliding ships, and their relative speed to each other.
  • The location of the impact and the armor thickness of the ships play no role in determining the damage inflicted.
  • The remaining amount of HP of the colliding ships do not matter, only their base (maximum) HP is used in the ramming calculation.
  • Damage inflicted in ramming is applied to the ship's Universal HP pool.
  • The maximum damage from a collision in each pair of colliding ships can not exceed the lowest base HP between the two ships. E.g. if the Erie collides with the Yamato, the maximum amount of damage Erie and Yamato will each inflict on one another is worth the base HP of Erie.
  • If the ramming damage received exceeds 10% of the ship's base HP, the ship will also take flooding damage, provided it survived the ram.
  • Collision between allied ships will not cause flooding, and ramming damage is reduced by a considerably large factor.
  • If two ships collide but neither are destroyed, and physical contact continues, the ramming calculation is repeated in fairly rapid intervals until contact is broken or one ship is destroyed.

Ramming damage is devastating even at low speeds. It should be avoided if the player's ship is still in good condition; the longer it stays in the fight the more it can contribute to the team and the more damage it can inflict upon the enemy. It should only be attempted when it is absolutely critical that the enemy ship must sink immediately, or as a last Hail Mary when the player's ship is already battered with no hope of survival. Ramming just for the "lulz" factor may or may not earn the team's appreciation; some might see it a waste of a perfectly good ship, others may think of it as going down in style.

Somewhat amusing how much more in-depth WoT's ramming calcs are than WoWS's. Boats doesn't appear to even take relative size into account beyond capping the damage to the smaller ship's HP (which is going to be enough to kill both ships 90% of the time).

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has ever had a situation where a ram didn't do at least 10% of your total.

I'd like to see ramming damage get taken down several pegs, though in a deliberate ram it'd keep hitting till someone dies, the main advantage being things feeling less like everyone's made of explodium.

Members
2,255 posts

From what I see from all the ramming I witnessed in game is...

BB vs BB = Both die

BB vs CA/L = BB half HP CA/L dead

BB vs DD = BB around 2/3rd health DD dead.

I don't see many CV's ramming BB's at near full HP... But when I do the CV dies even if it rams a CA/L.

[LOU1]
Members
4,344 posts
14,782 battles

September 5, 2016 Q&A:
http://www.himmelsdorf.com/new-world-of-warships-qa-september-5/

Q: Ramming damage is the same no matter if you collide head-on or scrape the enemy.

A: We have greatly simplified damage model for ramming because ramming is a rare event, and because it is quite difficult to implement a detailed damage model. Currently, the damage model only accounts for the speeds and the hit points of the ships.

and (unofficial):

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/74025-calculating-ramming-damage/

Edited by ExploratorOne

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I tend to agree.   My first game with my Missouri I had a NC ram me for over 50k damage.  What was annoying was it bow on which would have at most caused us to deflect off each other and maybe scratch the pain.    Then the next match I was spectating on the catastrophic destruction of two BBs who love kissed each other at speed under 5 knots.  This should have been about as climatic as a fender bender at a stop light with maybe a dented fender but nope, about 80k tons of BBs mysteriously  just vanished in an explosion.   

It should be addressed and it isn't all that rare. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this