Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Advise for DD Captain

16 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
1,504 posts

I am a fairly new player and my intent is to move up the ladder int he US dd tree.  I plan to carry one Destroyer captain with me the entire way.  So  my question is what do you think would be the best non-ship specific build for a DD captain.  This would be assuming that I may not ever get more than 12 pts.

Sorry if this question is too elementary for some.  Thanks.

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

For tier 1, I use basic firing training. For tier 2, I use last stand. For tier 3, I use superintendent. For tier 4, I use demolition expert. If you have any points left, consider getting survivibility expert or concealment expert.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,958 battles

There is no real specific DD build for all the lines. RU is going to play differently than IJN which plays differently than US. The exception would be Last Stand. Get your engine or rubber knocked out and you're dead most of the time no matter what line you are in. In US DD's you are working towards CE, its the bread and butter for them. After the next patch, all bets are off though. They are re-doing the Captains Skills, so things are going to change quite a bit..........................

Members
169 posts
9,481 battles

Everything Sherman said except if you are going us dds i would chose concealment over survivabilty.Good luck and most importantly have fun!:)

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

My most common USN DD captain build is

Aquiring the skills in this order:

1 Basic firing training

2 Last Stand

3 Superintendent

4 Survivability expert (Although, Demo expert has equal merit. I find myself fighting DD's more than BB's, so SE is better for me.)

5 Concealment expert

6 Torpedo Armament Expertise

7 Basics of survivability.

That will take you up to 18 points, and be useful on just about every USN DD. But, keep in mind, this is all changing with the next patch.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,958 battles

I must be weird because I dont take superintendent, I take Vigilance at level 3. I just use premium smoke. Got tired of smacking into red torpedoes while knife fighting :D

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

I must be weird because I dont take superintendent, I take Vigilance at level 3. I just use premium smoke. Got tired of smacking into red torpedoes while knife fighting :D

At under 3km, you already spot the enemy DD's torps when they are launched. Vig does not help you in that regard.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,958 battles

At under 3km, you already spot the enemy DD's torps when they are launched. Vig does not help you in that regard.

I know. But greater than that, gives me more wiggle room. Also helps approaching caps (prefired torps) and screening for big brothers. But thats just me, and at higher tiers with all the radar and sonar, smoke just isnt as useful as it used to be IMO..............

[RLGN]
Members
19,165 posts
35,202 battles

Don't sweat getting 12 skill ponts on a captain right now, you'll go nuts.

Watch, (the mini-map, other players, and youtube skill/training vids,) and read, (the forums.) Do the best you can, learn from your mistakes, and high skill point captains will come as the natural order of things.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,414 posts
38,125 battles

Lots of good advice in this thread and good luck.

I would add that stealth is your friend and the only way to survive.  And surviving for a DD is what allows you to really shine as the enemy team gets thinned out.  So I'd suggest doing all you can with your builds to be stealthy and use a play style that allows you to spot the enemy team for your friends but doesn't put you into harms way too much.  Most of my DD kills come in the middle to the end of a match since that is when you have the most options.  Too many DDs get sunk in the first few minutes of a match imo when they are the ones with the most stealth and therefore the best ability to stay alive.

Beta Testers
153 posts
7,170 battles

In my opinion, last stand, survivability expert, superintendent and concealment expert are all pretty much required in the USN DDs. DE is a great skill but you'll get more out of SE IMO.

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

My most common USN DD captain build is

Aquiring the skills in this order:

1 Basic firing training

2 Last Stand

3 Superintendent

4 Survivability expert (Although, Demo expert has equal merit. I find myself fighting DD's more than BB's, so SE is better for me.)

5 Concealment expert

6 Torpedo Armament Expertise

7 Basics of survivability.

That will take you up to 18 points, and be useful on just about every USN DD. But, keep in mind, this is all changing with the next patch.

This is pretty much what you'd run throughout the line.

The only options would be..

3. Vigilance or Superintendent. 

4. SE or DE

• Cool 1

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

This is pretty much what you'd run throughout the line.

The only options would be..

3. Vigilance or Superintendent. 

4. SE or DE

I find, that in the higher tiers, the ships are so maneuverable that vigilance is kind of a moot point. The only place I can really see it being useful, is if, you like to spend a good deal of time sitting in smoke, it might give you enough warning to get moving and get out of the way before eating two torps while stationary.

And SE VS DE is going to highly depend on the player. Which do you feel gives you more impact to the team... Damage to battleships and cruisers or fighting DD's?

If you feel you can make a bigger impact the outcome of the game by harassing BB's all game, wasting their repair parties, and keeping damage control on cool down, go DE.

If you feel like your biggest impact is fighting and controlling enemy DD's... SE is your best bet.

Hit the nail on the head with using the build through the line though. It and its little variations are going to be viable throughout the line.

Edit... come to think of it though, I would love to try a Soviet DD style build on Clemson. DE, AFT and SE, I can taste the salt just thinking about it.

Edited by twitch133

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

I find, that in the higher tiers, the ships are so maneuverable that vigilance is kind of a moot point. The only place I can really see it being useful, is if, you like to spend a good deal of time sitting in smoke, it might give you enough warning to get moving and get out of the way before eating two torps while stationary.

And SE VS DE is going to highly depend on the player. Which do you feel gives you more impact to the team... Damage to battleships and cruisers or fighting DD's?

If you feel you can make a bigger impact the outcome of the game by harassing BB's all game, wasting their repair parties, and keeping damage control on cool down, go DE.

If you feel like your biggest impact is fighting and controlling enemy DD's... SE is your best bet.

Hit the nail on the head with using the build through the line though. It and its little variations are going to be viable throughout the line.

Edit... come to think of it though, I would love to try a Soviet DD style build on Clemson. DE, AFT and SE, I can taste the salt just thinking about it.

A year of so ago, there was a great debate about Vigilance on DD's.

I run it on all of my DD's except those few that run TA. Superintendent isn't ever worth it to me running premium.

I couldn't tell you how long it's been that I ate a torp I didn't see coming. Hehe

Edited by Wulfgarn

Sign in to follow this