Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
suleiman71

USN DDs - AFT or SE?

28 comments in this topic

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

I'm facing a dilemma. AFT would offer my greater range and some more flexability, but unlike RU DDs, I don't necessarily need that range. SE would give me around 3k more HP, and would make it easier to brawl with battleships when necessary.

What are your thoughts?

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Personally my pick is SE or DE, for more durability or fire chance. AFT isn't worthwhile for American DDs.

[MKF]
Members
584 posts
20,416 battles

I like to knife fight so SE is a must. Also difficult to hit non-BBS at max range with aft

• Cool 1

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

Personally my pick is SE or DE, for more durability or fire chance. AFT isn't worthwhile for American DDs.

Already have DE.

Members
921 posts
13,837 battles

Personally - I find CE to be the strongest skill available to the US DD skippers, allowing a very low detection range for the higher tier boats.

Unlike the Russian DDs which really shine with two level four skills - the US DDs lean on their concealment, and for myself - I wouldn't be interested in trading that concealment factor for any second skill at level four - it really is one of their unique strengths.

My Fletcher skipper:

BFT

LS - TAE

SI

DE

CE

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Yup, SE or DE. Many of my USN's have either.

AFT is terrible on USN's because of the gun arcs.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

I'm facing a dilemma. AFT would offer my greater range and some more flexability, but unlike RU DDs, I don't necessarily need that range. SE would give me around 3k more HP, and would make it easier to brawl with battleships when necessary.

What are your thoughts?

Neither get DE.  Though AFT can be helpful, it's more useful to start fires.

Members
555 posts
11,596 battles

Neither get DE.  Though AFT can be helpful, it's more useful to start fires.

No SE is much better then DE.

Your job is to kill other DD and only way to kill a DD with SE is to have SE yourself.

A dead DD start no fires.

• Cool 1

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

AFT is pretty useless in a USN DDs, DE is way better. If you already have DE then are you saving up for CE?

Since I commonly get in below 9km with my USN DDs, I've never thought much of CE's value as compared to with my RU DDs.

[MKF]
Members
584 posts
20,416 battles

I run both CE and SE on my USN... allows me to get as close as possible to other DDs before I open up on them. The advantage is huge starting at T8+

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

No SE is much better then DE.

Your job is to kill other DD and only way to kill a DD with SE is to have SE yourself.

A dead DD start no fires.

Depends on the tier. Unless you're say tier 6 and up, it's worthless.

[UDEAD]
-Members-
417 posts
16,159 battles

Im actually a fairly decent judge of the arcs with my Fletcher.... I do run AFT and it seems to work out quite well for me harassing BBs at a distance or clipping a running CV at near max range.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,487 battles

Im actually a fairly decent judge of the arcs with my Fletcher.... I do run AFT and it seems to work out quite well for me harassing BBs at a distance or clipping a running CV at near max range.

As a previous poster mentioned, to which I strongly agree, a USN DD's primary role is to engage and destroy enemy DDs and only SE gives the biggest bonus for this. When I play my USN DDs, I have a rule to never engage another enemy DD if I'm undetected. And combined with CE, I can get ridiculously close to enemy BBs to torp them with an acceptably high success rate that I don't need to fire spam them.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

What are your thoughts?

DE. The more fires you can set, the better.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Since I commonly get in below 9km with my USN DDs, I've never thought much of CE's value as compared to with my RU DDs.

With CE some of the USN DDs become some of the stealthiest boats, great torpedo boats with excellent guns. While it depends on what USN DD this captains is on, CE should by no means overlooked.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,487 battles

DE. The more fires you can set, the better.

Doesn't help at all in a fight against another DD. USN DDs are not supposed to be fire spammers.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

you need CE to hunt other DDs.    SE is better if you hunt DD,  DE if you primarily shoot at larger ship.   I do former more than latter in USDD>

[WOLFB]
Members
2,906 posts
11,206 battles

SE and CE. Win the knife fight, torp with impunity.

• Cool 1

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

I was using DE on my builds.... But have recently started using SE. 

Yes the extra damage from fires is nice. But survival is the name of the game in DD's. The later in the match you are alive, the more dangerous you are. And the more influence over the outcome of the game you have.

[BOTES]
Members
2,393 posts
10,555 battles

Always AFT. I personally find DE to be worthless and SE only gives enough health for surviving an extra volley or two. AFT also lets you maximize C hull and DF builds. I have much more survivability being able to fend off high tier CV who send 5-6 bomber groups after you .

[CHEEZ]
Members
2,614 posts
4,925 battles

Always AFT. I personally find DE to be worthless and SE only gives enough health for surviving an extra volley or two. AFT also lets you maximize C hull and DF builds. I have much more survivability being able to fend off high tier CV who send 5-6 bomber groups after you .

The only thing that DF is really there for is self defense to make the income planes less accurate. Unless the CV is bottom tier and you are top tier, even with AFT, you are not going to be reliably taking down large numbers of aircraft. Nor is DF worht losing the 5th gun on Benson. 20% of your offensive damage capability is not worth it.

The only DD past Nick, where it could make any sense is on Gearing, as its 11km range is kind of meh.

But, everything between Nick and gearing pretty much has a 12km range, and that is plenty more than enough for the floaty shells. Considering you are going to be taking between 12 and 14 seconds to reach max range on most of them without AFT.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

I'm a scrub, so I went SE all the way.  The extra HP is super helpful when fighting other DD.  The RoF usually takes care of the fire starting on large ships.  Honestly, though, I can already shoot 12km...and shooting at that distance is sketchy enough...no idea what I would do at 14-15...say a the Rosary while shooting and hope that Mary puts a few on target?  I like a piece of mind that comes with bringing some extra HP into a close fight.  

Members
921 posts
13,837 battles

I see you are to Farragut, in the line.

I can't recommend CE enough for Benson and up (though both Mahan and the Sims you have will also benefit).

The Benson has really, really good detection with CE - and she, the Fletcher and the Gearing all have excellent torps as well. 

The benefits of CE are many - especially when you pursue one of the US DD's main jobs of capping.  Seeing - before being seen - is huge, and CE makes a very large contribution to that.

I'd say that the fact that you do like to get in closer than 8km is a very good reason to go with CE.

Its a far more useful skill than burning those four points on either SE (passive skill at best) or AFT. 

Give it a try, and let us know what you think.

Sign in to follow this