Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
aether_tech

Dear Wargaming....lets talk about replays.

45 comments in this topic

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

Why can't replays store/show scorecards yet? Seriously? 

Amen.  I'd go a step further to:  "Why isn't the replay system fully supported and backwards compatible yet?"  Like, really... Don't they want to facilitate building hype for the game by making it easier on content creators to make videos and share game play?
  • Cool 3

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

This is one of the few things I agree with you on Aether, but I'll broaden it more. While I will give them some credit in the functionality of camera "post death" albeit, in game, the replays has seriously been in need of polishing. They've known it, heck even addressed it a couple of times and agreed with even stamping the trademark "soon" on it.  That was last year, but with each major patch, unless a user has Aslain's (I don't), we have to manually install the replays file into our preferences, again and again and again.

Even not having to do that would be a step in the right direction, a universal viewing file that didn't self break upon each major patch. The UI for that file, at least to me, would seem like it would be gravy to create.

Anyway, ya, I know they are "busy" with everything, it just seems like this keeps getting reshuffled to the back of the deck.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Completely agree.

I would also appreciate it if we could watch replays without restarting the game, i.e. either have a special replay browsing mode or allow us to browse replays straight from the port.

Fix the replay glitches while you're at it. We need to see the throttle, see the true currently selected target (and its torp indicator) and not have the binoculars stick if you accidentally press Shift. Among other things.

Edited by gurudennis
  • Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Amen.  I'd go a step further to:  "Why isn't the replay system fully supported and backwards compatible yet?"  Like, really... Don't they want to facilitate building hype for the game by making it easier on content creators to make videos and share game play?

Backward compatibility is probably way too costly and space-wasting to implement, considering that changes between versions may be very drastic. After all these years in Tanks, and they never had made replays backward compatible.

...but I agree on full support of replay function. It has been a year and a bit, and they has no sign of fully implementing replay function.

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles

Scorecards are data which is seperate from the 3d graphics program which is the REPLAY file.  As for backwards compatibility, each revision changes the data library so that the new revision will not run the old REPLAY files. The only way to replay the OLD outdated REPLAY is to copy out the whole WOW folder and run the replay file from the old WOW.EXE program and its library of files which support it.  As far as running a replay while WOW is in memory would be possible but it would have to be programmed to dump it memory contents to load up the REPLAY file Now assuming you have enough memory.its possible to load in the REPLAY without exit of the online game engine data. But WOW would have to patch the program for these features. Another is... Easy way to do this would be is to copy out your replay file onto a memory card and run it on another PC to view your replay.  

REPLAY glitches?  Only ones I see are the guns pointing one way but the shots are 90 degs instead. Did I miss sumtin?

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

. It has been a year and a bit, and they has no sign of fully implementing replay function.

And yet, support routinely requests replays as part of investigating tickets.  

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

I can see one reason for the lack of backwards compatibility (and thus don't mind it) - WG keeps changing the maps between patches.

Imagine having a replay with positions and actions of all the participants recorded, but not having the old map as a part of the game client anymore. Perhaps a player was hiding behind an island which is now just empty ocean? Perhaps he was firing over an island that got taller in the meanwhile and shells would appear to "go through terrain"? Et cetera ...

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

And yet, support routinely requests replays as part of investigating tickets.  

...and replay activation is well hidden in that you have to edit preference for it, and I can't find sticky on that anywhere. I had replay activated since Beta, so I'm fine on that regard, but what about new players?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Backwards compatibility, if you mean being able to view replays from previous versions, is never going to happen.  The game saves replay files as a script log, not a video; the reason they corrupt with each update is that the "cues" to perform certain actions may or may not have the same results afterwards.  Not to mention content changes like map revisions or model updates (even something as simple as including the AA guns on top of turrets causes incompatibility, since a ship now has more AA).

Edited by TenguBlade

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Ive never gotten my replays to play, did everthing to the letter , the files are there but if I click on them it just starts the game and takes me to port

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Along with backwards compatibility, better controls, reducing the amounts of crashes that happen by manipulating playback speed, and it would be nice to have a replay viewer

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Along with backwards compatibility, better controls, reducing the amounts of crashes that happen by manipulating playback speed, and it would be nice to have a replay viewer

Wait, you can manipulate the replay speed? Boy do I feel silly now. How?

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Backward compatibility is probably way too costly and space-wasting to implement, considering that changes between versions may be very drastic. After all these years in Tanks, and they never had made replays backward compatible.

...but I agree on full support of replay function. It has been a year and a bit, and they has no sign of fully implementing replay function.

Tanks is (or at least was when I was playing) actually a very robust game. You could do things like implement mods while the game was running (just had to reload the garage), and the replay system would usually at least try to run the file.

I remember trying to view a replay for the lols that came before the change to Malinovka where they raised the approach to the hill and gave it two paths (this is multiple years ago). The replay actually started and played. Everything went normal until tanks experienced where the terrain was changed. The hill swallowed them and after a bit the game crashed.

I was routinely able to play replays a patch or two old as long as maps weren't changed much or major gameplay elements were adjusted.

But yeah, it's nice and all to hear the promise that a better replay system is in the works, but last we've really heard anything about this was the beta where this workaround of editing the preferences file was first brought up. It's a janky fix, but everyone realized it was and knew it would eventually be improved. Unfortunately, we're still waiting and we can't for some silly reason get a freaking checkmark in the options menu.

Wait, you can manipulate the replay speed? Boy do I feel silly now. How?

The Insert and Delete buttons, I think. Either that or the Page Up/Page Down buttons. The Home button sets it back to 1x speed and I think End makes it extremely slow (since there isn't a pause).

Caution with the pseudo-pause. It also affects the menu if you try to bring it up.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

The Insert and Delete buttons, I think. Either that or the Page Up/Page Down buttons. The Home button sets it back to 1x speed and I think End makes it extremely slow (since there isn't a pause).

Caution with the pseudo-pause. It also affects the menu if you try to bring it up.

Will try it out, thanks.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,310 battles

Yeah, I got to support this.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Backwards compatibility, if you mean being able to view replays from previous versions, is never going to happen.  The game saves replay files as a script log, not a video; the reason they corrupt with each update is that the "cues" to perform certain actions may or may not have the same results afterwards.  Not to mention content changes like map revisions or model updates (even something as simple as including the AA guns on top of turrets causes incompatibility, since a ship now has more AA).

Yep. It's not impossible but technically challenging and ultimately impractical if you want to keep the client package as small as possible. Replay support between minor hotfix patches is feasible but beyond that not so much.

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

One other thing...WoT's replays allow them to at least access the score cards. They don't appear in game, but replay sites like wotreplays can access them and display them with similar levels of UI as in game.

When Jammin411 was getting wowreplays off of the ground, he asked if he could have the same sort of ability. Apparently, someone would have been able to access more than they should if they were able to parse the scorecard data, so the answer he got was no. Or at least something along those lines, which is why we've got to take screenshots of our scorecards. At least Jammin gave us spots to upload those.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

When Jammin411 was getting wowreplays off of the ground, he asked if he could have the same sort of ability. Apparently, someone would have been able to access more than they should if they were able to parse the scorecard data, so the answer he got was no. Or at least something along those lines, which is why we've got to take screenshots of our scorecards. At least Jammin gave us spots to upload those.

Err... no. That doesn't make any sense. All you need to display the scorecard is the information directly found in said scorecard. This is either a misunderstanding or a very lame excuse for something else.

Beta Testers
303 posts
8,267 battles

Ive never gotten my replays to play, did everthing to the letter , the files are there but if I click on them it just starts the game and takes me to port

You have to lLaunch the replay files with the game executable (WorldOfWarships.exe), not with the launcher executable (WoWSLauncher.exe) !!!

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

...and replay activation is well hidden in that you have to edit preference for it, and I can't find sticky on that anywhere. I had replay activated since Beta, so I'm fine on that regard, but what about new players?

Like everything on this game, the skill ceiling must be kept high :trollface:

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Err... no. That doesn't make any sense. All you need to display the scorecard is the information directly found in said scorecard. This is either a misunderstanding or a very lame excuse for something else.

Ah, found the reason, it's been a year: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/66003-battle-results-on-wowreplayscom/page__fromsearch__1

Seems like the data just isn't saved in the files. Not sure where I got the other idea from.

Edited by Final_Spark

Members
305 posts
9,717 battles

This is probably the one subject I'm sad I didn't hear much about in all the previews.

How can a game expect full legitimacy these days, without a real replay system. Is it really that hard?

[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,558 battles

Right click it, open with Worldofwarships.exe

Sign in to follow this