Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
pangi

upgrades and captain's skills on Graf Spee

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
7 posts
6,378 battles

for upgrades i plan to use: main armament mod 1 + basic aiming system mod 1 + steering gear mod 1 + steering gear mod 2

for captain skills i plan to use: basic firing training 1, expert marksman, superintendent, advance firing training.

please share yours here, thanks in advance.

[PVE]
Members
20,312 posts
13,642 battles

I just got the Adm Graf Spee and I went with the following in the order of their slots.

Main Armaments Mod 1 - with 6 11" guns in 2 turrets, I think this is the best for protecting those guns with -20% incapacitation, -20% repair time and +50% survivability on the main guns. The same protections for the torpedo tubes is a bonus.

Aiming Systems Mod 1 - You only have 2 turrets and you don't want to expose your broadside, I took this for the best accuracy.

Damage Control System Mod 1 - Since the armor is lacking, protecting the steering gears (or engine) is good, but I went with the one for fires and flooding since so many CLs & DDs spam HE.

Steering Gears Mod 2 -  It reduces the rudder shift time and you will be dodging a lot as this ship historically was armored for protection from 152mm guns.

I only have a 1 point captain, so I took Basics of Survivability. The secondary armament isn't that large, so I will get BFT later. Of course with patch 0.6.0 coming soon, Captain skills will all change.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
7 posts
6,378 battles

I just got the Adm Graf Spee and I went with the following in the order of their slots.

Main Armaments Mod 1 - with 6 11" guns in 2 turrets, I think this is the best for protecting those guns with -20% incapacitation, -20% repair time and +50% survivability on the main guns. The same protections for the torpedo tubes is a bonus.

Aiming Systems Mod 1 - You only have 2 turrets and you don't want to expose your broadside, I took this for the best accuracy.

Damage Control System Mod 1 - Since the armor is lacking, protecting the steering gears (or engine) is good, but I went with the one for fires and flooding since so many CLs & DDs spam HE.

Steering Gears Mod 2 -  It reduces the rudder shift time and you will be dodging a lot as this ship historically was armored for protection from 152mm guns.

I only have a 1 point captain, so I took Basics of Survivability. The secondary armament isn't that large, so I will get BFT later. Of course with patch 0.6.0 coming soon, Captain skills will all change.

thanks for the reply Kizarvexis

Members
22 posts
2,654 battles

Hi. Anyone have suggestions for 0.6.0 captain's skills for the Graf Spee with a 11-point captain? How about the Arizona with a 15-point captain and the Chapayev with a 14-point captain? Thanks!

[PVE]
Members
20,312 posts
13,642 battles

Hi. Anyone have suggestions for 0.6.0 captain's skills for the Graf Spee with a 11-point captain? How about the Arizona with a 15-point captain and the Chapayev with a 14-point captain? Thanks!

I have a 10 point captain and have spec'd him as follows. NOTE: I have not fought this captain yet.

1pt DCCA as the Graf Spee only has a cat fighter and two of them for 6 min with a 2-3 min cooldown will help on spotting torps and close by ships.

1pt PM I have changed for PM as my first point to keep the main guns active. You also swap the main gun module for secondary/AA module to protect those for that little bit extra.

2pt EM for faster turret rotation. I like keeping my turrets on target when I'm dodging and you dodge alot in the Spee

3pt SI for the extra heal and extras on other consumables, but mainly the heal. Running prem heal gives you a total of four.

4pt CE drops the detect range to 11.2km by sea, 7.5km by air and 19.7km when firing main guns. Being able to stop firing and going back into stealth 1.5km earlier (by sea) seems very important to me.  

I only have a 10 pt US BB captain and once again have not fought with him.

1pt PT I tend to stay angled and don't like to get within 6-10km of cruisers if I can help it. So, I'll turn back and forth, staying angled while I fight. This will help me plan turns against multiple opponents.

1pt PM I swapped out the main gun module for secondary/AA module to keep the AA alive longer. So you need PM to keep the main guns alive longer.

2pt EM to keep guns on target when I turn.

3pt BoS as I will run prem heal (4 total) in Random battle and you don't need more than 3 prem heal in Co-op.

4pt CE to get down to 12.3km detect by sea

For the next 5 points, I would guess one of the following.

3pt BFT for secondaries & AA or DE for secondaries and 2pt HA or JoAT for survivability

or

4pt AFT or MFCAA and 1pt DCCA. AFT only gets you to 5km (from 4.2km) on both of the following. 8x1 127mm AA and 18x1 127mm secondaries. MFCAA only works on those 8 127mm AA guns and doubles it from 58 to 116 avg damage. DCCA gets you two spotters, so you have one that can be shot down.

or

4pt FP and DCCA. Fire prevention takes the two structure locations into one, so only 3 fire max and DCCA gets you two spotters, so you have one that can be shot down.

edit: I don't have a Chapayev

Edited by Kizarvexis

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,856 posts
12,319 battles

Problem with the Spee is that its a superbly mediocre ship at everything except AP pen capability & AP damage and that it has 8km torps.

Secondaries? You're tier 6 so manual secondaries do not give you the much needed dispersion reduction that tier 7+ receive; hence they are useless garbage even if you max their range out.

AA? You have poor AA to begin with and the AA skills benefit guns over 85mm mostly... which you only have a few.

+30% HE penetration/+Fire chance? I see many arguments for it but ultimately it comes down to this: You have a 20 second reload and only two turrets. Your secondaries don't count since they hardly hit anyways. Why would you waste 7 skill points on this under these circumstances?

I actually tested the fire chance+30% HE penetration on the Spee and decided RNG plays too much of a chance on the damage variance (which I noticed little to none of compared to no HEAP/DE). Even vs a DD you're still better off hitting it with an AP round in the upper deck area than a full salvo of HE+HEAP on the side armor.

So no, personally I am speccing my 'spee for the few things it can receive an actual, practical boost in:

Line 1: Priority Target and Preventative Maintenance

Line 2: High Alert, Jack of All Trades, Expert Marksman and Last Stand.

Line 3: Torpedo Armament Expertise, Superintendent and Vigilance

That's a 19 pnt captain. Bolded are the ones you want at 11pnt capt, underlined the ones you want at 16.

Last 3 point skill is really up to your choice. I went with Vigilance because I don't see the point in reducing the duration of flood or fire.. this is a cruiser and for the great majority of the time you will explode from enemy fire not from a DOT applied on you. I don't see a point in +350hp per tier because its tier 6 and again, its a cruiser.. most of the time you're thumped to near zero HP in a few salvos anyway. Surviving one more shell in a ship with a 20s reload ain't worth it. I ain't firing HE so DE isn't going to be taken. Vigilance oth, does help TONS to evade torpedoes... given your ship isn't the best at turning. Its also great for when you're screening for a friendly BB.

[PRIMO]
[PRIMO]
Beta Testers
134 posts

Skyfaller:

Great choices all around, but I have a slight disagreement on Expert Marksman.  The German 283mm turret already has phenomenal traverse, so I wouldn't take it as an 11-point captain. If you get to 19 and have two extra points lying around, sure, why not.  Adrenaline Rush would be a very worthy substitute here, as you WILL be damaged in the Spee the vast majority of the time.

/adm

Sign in to follow this