Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

Any notable differences between Arizona and New Mexico?

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Hey all

So I've been playing a lot more BB's recently, and discovered I quite enjoy them. 

But I haven't really started down the American BB line yet, I'm going to free XP to to the New Mexico this week(or maybe next weekend, as both it and the Colorado will be on sale)

Anyway- been playing the Arizona, and while it's not my favorite, I like it. Just wondering what (if any) notable game differences between it and the NM are.

LWM's Arizona review compares it to the NM, but not really in depth.

I'm guessing it's about the same playstyle, just wondering if there's anything I should be prepared for.

(I'll be free XPing all the upgrades on the New Mexico if it makes a difference)

Thanks!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

The differences are minor. Arizona is a bit slower but tankier, New Mexico gets slightly better guns. It's all percentage work though, very minor differences.

• Cool 2

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

The differences are minor. Arizona is a bit slower but tankier, New Mexico gets slightly better guns. It's all percentage work though, very minor differences.

Ehhh... I'm not sure the New Mexico's guns are appreciably better.  Less range, worse Sigma (I think?).  For all intents and purposes the New Mexico has AA as it's primary advantage over the Arizona and slightly faster shell speed.  The Arizona is far more accurate with it's guns than New Mexico although New Mexico is no slouch in this department either.  Both ships are tough as nails!  

How to New Mexico:

How to Arizona:

• Cool 2

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,823 battles

On paper I think the differences are minor, but in practice I've found it noticeably harder to do damage to Arizonas than to New Mexicos, HE and AP.

• Cool 1

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

The New Mexico gets her guns with a longer barrel, which improves the armor piercing capability, and historically the increased space between guns in the same turret allowed for less interference between guns and therefore, better accuracy. New Mexico received the AA refit after the Pearl Harbor raid too.

WG fu*ked this up for game balance and unique gameplay... but can't really blame them. Overall the two ships are still very much alike.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

I'm not sure the New Mexico's guns are appreciably better. 

Better velocity and I think slightly better damage too, but I'm not in the game right now. The differences are very minor though. I don't know what sigma NM has.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,462 posts
5,897 battles

Better velocity and I think slightly better damage too, but I'm not in the game right now. The differences are very minor though. I don't know what sigma NM has.

The guns on the NM launch shells at 823m/s vs 792m/s for Arizona.  The sigma is pretty high for Arizona, 1.8, the New Mexico is 1.5.  Arizona has more range when specced for it (18.6 vs 17.3) with the range module.  The damage is 10300 (AZ) vs 10500 (NM) so not a huge difference there.  I think the AZ just makes better use of it's gunnery than the New Mexico does.  No idea about pen values but at the ranges in this game and in which a NM/AZ is actually good in, that pen value doesn't matter nearly as much as the bounce angles which are going to be identical.

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Thanks All!

What I figured.

Not really sure I trust the sigma thing anyway- according to the stats I found Fuso has terrible Sigma (1.5 iirc) but in the 12-14 Km range I try and fight in, it's the one ship I can count on to delete cruisers and cripple broadside BB's.

It's shells just seem to hit targets.

Compared to my Dunkerque- which has 1.7 , and on multiple occasions I've fired directly forward at non moving targets at less than 10KM away (once at 3KM) and only had one or two hits. 

Completely anecdotal of course, but the Fuso just seems the more accurate of the two.

Edited by Canadian_Reaper
  • Cool 1

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Arizona is the vastly superior ship.

Better sigma, far better overall gun effectiveness.  Far better shot spread and accuracy, far more consistent damage and penetrations.  Its also got a faster rudder shift, more armor.

New Mexico gets more AA guns, not better, but more.  Arizona is the far superior ship.  New MExico is still a tolerable grind, not a bad ship, its like how the Arizona would be if Wargaming felt the urge ot nerf it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,712 posts
26,569 battles

Not really sure I trust the sigma thing anyway <snip>

Completely anecdotal of course, but the Fuso just seems the more accurate of the two.

The way we understand it, sigma is a modifier on dispersion rating, and only affects vertical dispersion, in a gaussian manner. Fuso is inherently more accurate than Dunkerque is because it has at a given range a lower dispersion than Dunkerque. Then sigma comes into play, which does not affect horizontal dispersion, but means that the vertical dispersion is more likely to be tighter. Key words: more likely. A high sigma does not guarantee more accurate salvos. It just slightly increases the likelihood of shells grouping better.

The guns on the NM launch shells at 823m/s vs 792m/s for Arizona.  The sigma is pretty high for Arizona, 1.8, the New Mexico is 1.5.  Arizona has more range when specced for it (18.6 vs 17.3) with the range module.  The damage is 10300 (AZ) vs 10500 (NM) so not a huge difference there.  I think the AZ just makes better use of it's gunnery than the New Mexico does.  No idea about pen values but at the ranges in this game and in which a NM/AZ is actually good in, that pen value doesn't matter nearly as much as the bounce angles which are going to be identical.

Those are all fair points and I won't argue with them.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,086 posts
30,857 battles

Arizona has very trollish dispersion.  She can do some stupid-IJN BB-like tricks at range.  If needed, she can face tank 356mm AP shells or less with ease.  A pleasurable ship to use, the only issue is useless AA and Tier VI MM so she sees VII & VIII more often.  Even with the current MM and the inclusion of Dunkerque a few months ago, Arizona still reigns as the best performing Tier VI BB.  Not even Bayern has supplanted her.  Will be interesting to see how that holds up with Tier VI Mutsu and 16", non-fully upgraded Nagato guns.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GSKUL]
Alpha Tester
340 posts

Thanks All!

What I figured.

Not really sure I trust the sigma thing anyway- according to the stats I found Fuso has terrible Sigma (1.5 iirc) but in the 12-14 Km range I try and fight in, it's the one ship I can count on to delete cruisers and cripple broadside BB's.

It's shells just seem to hit targets.

Compared to my Dunkerque- which has 1.7 , and on multiple occasions I've fired directly forward at non moving targets at less than 10KM away (once at 3KM) and only had one or two hits. 

sigma is just the vertical modifier for dispersion. contrary to popular opinion, this game's dispersion does err towards the vertical, so sigma is very important, but it is just a modifier. Fuso is very accurate to begin with, so while her sigma is rather poor, her base accuracy means that, in tandem with 12 guns, she feels accurate. Dunkerque is much less accurate to begin with, so even with her 1.7 sigma her 8 guns (4 less shots per salvo too,) feel like a shotgun. 

Arizona has a very meh base accuracy, but her 1.8 sigma and 12 guns make her feel very similar in accuracy to the fuso, at least to me. 

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

The Arizona has a slightly lower rate of fire, but only by a few seconds. Basically, the two ships have the same playstyle.

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

The Arizona has a slightly lower rate of fire, but only by a few seconds. Basically, the two ships have the same playstyle.

It's about half a second slower.   I'd take the Arizona over the New Mexico any day, that being said.  The painfully slow reload on all of these mid tier USN BB's pisses me off to no end.

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Arizona has very trollish dispersion.  She can do some stupid-IJN BB-like tricks at range.  If needed, she can face tank 356mm AP shells or less with ease.  A pleasurable ship to use, the only issue is useless AA and Tier VI MM so she sees VII & VIII more often.  Even with the current MM and the inclusion of Dunkerque a few months ago, Arizona still reigns as the best performing Tier VI BB.  Not even Bayern has supplanted her.  Will be interesting to see how that holds up with Tier VI Mutsu and 16", non-fully upgraded Nagato guns.

Ugh, 16 inch Mutsu is going to be annoying PVE, where the AI with a 16 inch gun is basically "lolpenyoulongtime"....no angle bounces anything and thye never seem to miss...

But yeah, Arizona is by far the best T6 BB id have to say.  Seen stuff about Bayern, played the NM and seen how fairly easy the Fuso is to melt.......

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,086 posts
30,857 battles

Ugh, 16 inch Mutsu is going to be annoying PVE, where the AI with a 16 inch gun is basically "lolpenyoulongtime"....no angle bounces anything and thye never seem to miss...

But yeah, Arizona is by far the best T6 BB id have to say.  Seen stuff about Bayern, played the NM and seen how fairly easy the Fuso is to melt.......

The problem with Mutsu is she will not have the guns / AP shells of a fully upgraded Nagato.  That to me is a huge disappointment.

[O_O]
Members
7,888 posts
22,026 battles

I have played New Mexico quite a bit.  Thoroughly enjoyed her and kept her.  I just recently got Arizona in a Christmas crate.

I do not think the two are as similar as many are saying.  Both are slow.  Both are tanky.  Both have lethal guns...when they hit.  But, there is the difference.  New Mexico is a shotgun.  You may get a few accurate salvos here and there, and they will punish when they land.  But, I have found Arizona's guns to be LOL accurate.  Crazy, tight groups that just punish opponents.  Sure, they load slow, but the agonizing effect you get when you aim well with New Mexico only to have dispersion give you nothing simply does not exist with Arizona.  Her guns are ridiculously accurate.  After landing numerous devastating strikes with her I have chuckled while feeling slightly dirty.

Sign in to follow this